Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

G37 test car needed for Twin Turbo application | So.Cal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Ouch..

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
FGC general member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeez i just spend like 20 minutes reading this whole thread...
GT garage good luck making a kit if its reliable and works well you guys should make some good money but personally i wouldnt let my car get tested on and not get the kit for free or at least an extremenly reasonable price...

and XKR ive heard only good things about FP and regardless of how much you spent the car has 600+ rwhp with no problems there obviously doing something right so its irrelevant what unnecesary parts you bought

but serioulsy vortech vs. JWT TT comeon...
too much etension on this thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XKR
Well if I have to "overspend" and buy "unnecessary crap" to get this kind of reliability and whp....well I feel its money well spent.

BTW...anytime you want to match up your car with the "Works Bell Paddle Shifter Kit" against mine...just sent me a PM. I will be glad to show you how over spent it is.
Ummmmm, actually the works bell kit is much better price wise than Zach's kit, so I think I still win this argument. I'm attempting to do all of my modding on my own, with a limited budget, so I'm not being told what would be good on my car based on the quota some tuning shop needs to meet. I have a good tuner that actually actively races and knows what works and doesn't dck around with prices for me and is very reasonable.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pullover20

yeah, he vortech has nothing on the jwt tt kit. The vortech is just on my car to keep me happy while I'm doing the rest of the supporting FI mods before I build my engine and go tt. Also, my vortech kit was bought used, so I won't be loosing money when I go to get rid of it.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XKR
Well if I have to "overspend" and buy "unnecessary crap" to get this kind of reliability and whp....well I feel its money well spent.

BTW...anytime you want to match up your car with the "Works Bell Paddle Shifter Kit" against mine...just sent me a PM. I will be glad to show you how over spent it is.
+1.

Hyundai Elantra or Honda Civic? Obviously comparable cars, but which would you buy? The Honda, obviously. It is a tested and proven car.

"American Pride"/"Thrifty"/"Brand X" gasoline or Shell/BP/Chevcon/76/etc. for $.10/gal more?

I, along with many of the members here, are more willing to pay the extra $$ for proven reliability. For a lot of the members here, their G is the only car they have, and if that method of transportation goes down for ANY reason, it puts them in a very bad situation, even if you guys cover everything.

As time has shown, a well built, reliable turbo setup is going to cost at the minimum, $10,000.

I also own a Honda. Greddy, one of THE best known companies, took 8 years to develop a bolt-on turbo kit for the s2000.

I'd say you guys are putting down a huge challenge for yourselves, but if you can do it, you have a LOT to look forward to; you WILL have the respect of the tuning world.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
+1.

Hyundai Elantra or Honda Civic? Obviously comparable cars, but which would you buy? The Honda, obviously. It is a tested and proven car.

"American Pride"/"Thrifty"/"Brand X" gasoline or Shell/BP/Chevcon/76/etc. for $.10/gal more?

I, along with many of the members here, are more willing to pay the extra $$ for proven reliability. For a lot of the members here, their G is the only car they have, and if that method of transportation goes down for ANY reason, it puts them in a very bad situation, even if you guys cover everything.

As time has shown, a well built, reliable turbo setup is going to cost at the minimum, $10,000.

I also own a Honda. Greddy, one of THE best known companies, took 8 years to develop a bolt-on turbo kit for the s2000.

I'd say you guys are putting down a huge challenge for yourselves, but if you can do it, you have a LOT to look forward to; you WILL have the respect of the tuning world.
Well said....

Originally Posted by pullover20
jeez i just spend like 20 minutes reading this whole thread...
GT garage good luck making a kit if its reliable and works well you guys should make some good money but personally i wouldnt let my car get tested on and not get the kit for free or at least an extremenly reasonable price...

and XKR ive heard only good things about FP and regardless of how much you spent the car has 600+ rwhp with no problems there obviously doing something right so its irrelevant what unnecesary parts you bought

I don't know what that guy has against FP and GTM....but I know for a fact that FP is not over priced and Sharif is the first one to tell me that I don't need something.....So my statement to him was to let him know that even if FP charged me more than other shops ( which I know they did NOT)...it would not matter as long as the reliability was there.....and I got what I paid for.

Last edited by XKR; 04-28-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 AM
XKR
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
Ummmmm, actually the works bell kit is much better price wise than Zach's kit, so I think I still win this argument. I'm attempting to do all of my modding on my own, with a limited budget, so I'm not being told what would be good on my car based on the quota some tuning shop needs to meet. I have a good tuner that actually actively races and knows what works and doesn't dck around with prices for me and is very reasonable.
So because you have a LIMITED Budget ...you going to come on here and talk crap about people that have an UNLIMITED Budget...then talk crap about a shop that has done nothing to you

Could that be envy I see

I gave the OP my opinion about what would sound like a better deal and the OP did not agree...end of story. I wished him luck...and you find it necessary to attack FP and GTM? Dont take out your anger on FP/GTM because you have a Vortech instead of a good turbo system

Its not too late though....you live in Cali....so I will have Sharif speak to Sam so that he can help you make your car run like a real FI

Last edited by XKR; 04-28-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
This has gone way off track.

If anyone wants to take up this guys offer of letting them work on thier G37 then let them, that is all there is to it.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
He had his work done at forged, which means he bought tons of unnecessary crap and he overspent.

OP hope this goes well for you. Beware of the forged and gtm people...

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XKR
So because you have a LIMITED Budget ...you going to come on here and talk crap about people that have an UNLIMITED Budget...then talk crap about a shop that has done nothing to you

Could that be envy I see

I gave the OP my opinion about what would sound like a better deal and the OP did not agree...end of story. I wished him luck...and you find it necessary to attack FP and GTM? Dont take out your anger on FP/GTM because you have a Vortech instead of a good turbo system

Its not too late though....you live in Cali....so I will have Sharif speak to Sam so that he can help you make your car run like a real FI
hey hey hey, nothing wrong with a S/C now

Just cuz you have more torque....

Now, the other extreme of the argument. With an experienced individual who has access to equipment, a well running turbo kit can be pieced together for less than 2k.

Of course this is with a ebay turbo (which may or may not be reliable... it's a crapshoot), self made piping, self tuning, etc., and would require a lot of time, but it IS possible with the right person(s) involved. Even with a brand name turbo, the cost would still be well under 3k.

The extra cost difference comes from the fact that a reputable shop has done all the R&D for you, and eliminates all of the fabrication and tuning time.

I really want to see GarageGT succeed; more competition means better pricing for consumers, more choices, and better quality (tested and proven.... reliability sells more than raw performance)

Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
XKR
hey hey hey, nothing wrong with a S/C now

Just cuz you have more torque....
You going to deprive me of one stap at this guy

Anyway...no one would love to see Garage GT succeed more than me. Thats why I made the comment..... the more shops the better for us. "Competition is a breading ground for lower prices.":

I think that the 7K & 8K that people are paying for turbo kits is crazy.

Last edited by XKR; 04-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by George@GTM
+1

Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really want to see GarageGT succeed; more competition means better pricing for consumers, more choices, and better quality (tested and proven.... reliability sells more than raw performance)
There is a lot of truth in that. And the companies that spend the time, and money to develop new products, and invest in their business...should be rewarded. If a company is able to get free use of a vehicle, without having to pay for it...more power to them. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. Even the GTM and Forged People had to buy their own test cars.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I think the best bet is for GarageGT to buy their own G37 and create a kit that's reliable, well designed and engineered solidly. I'm pretty sure that if its fits the criteria above, then they will see a return on their investment in no time.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
I think the best bet is for GarageGT to buy their own G37 and create a kit that's reliable, well designed and engineered solidly. I'm pretty sure that if its fits the criteria above, then they will see a return on their investment in no time.
How would that be better than getting someone to give them a G37 charge them $5000 in parts and do R&D on it that would be considerably cheaper than your proposal which is why they are looking to do it this way. That would be a much better solution for the shop than buying a car and paying for the parts. For the customer you may have to give up your for a while but you get a resonably priced TT kit. If everything works out as planned sounds like a win win.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37 test car needed for Twin Turbo application | So.Cal