Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Is it good to do a transmission flush on my G35 w/ 76K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it good to do a transmission flush on my G35 w/ 76K?

or should I just drain and refill the fluid?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Take it to the dealership and do a flush.

-Sean

Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks, guys...
I don't know the previous owner did the flush or not. I think I should find it out before going further...

Old 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Like Homie said, don't flush it. Actually flushing really isn't recommended by Nissan at all. They would prefer you to drain the tranny (3 QT and 100ml) every 30K miles. I never replaced my tranny fluid until 60K because that is what the schedule recommends. I did an initial flush of the tranny and followed it up a month later with another flush. My fluid really wasn't bad at all. Still a bit red, but no real burned smell.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks Dave... I think I will just drain and refill the fluid... Usually how many qts should I add after drain, 3 or 4 qts? or just measure the old fluid volume and add same amount?

BTW, mine is 2003 G35 coupe AT.

Thanks

Originally Posted by DaveB
Like Homie said, don't flush it. Actually flushing really isn't recommended by Nissan at all. They would prefer you to drain the tranny (3 QT and 100ml) every 30K miles. I never replaced my tranny fluid until 60K because that is what the schedule recommends. I did an initial flush of the tranny and followed it up a month later with another flush. My fluid really wasn't bad at all. Still a bit red, but no real burned smell.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please don't change your ATF at 30k intervals because replacing transmission after warranty is our most profitable job. We have children in college and boats to pay for and tools to buy.

Study pan cleans and filter replacements along with 100% fluid exchanges.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Yesterday, I drove 50 miles to the nearest Infiniti dealer for the 60K service, but I didn't do that finally.
The service manager told me that they just drain and refill the ATF not flush it. Flushing ATF is not recommended by infiniti dealer.
He also told me that they just drain and refill the coolant not flush it either.
Then I really don't know why I came to dealership for this kind of service.
I just canceled the appointment and left...

Today I got a case of matic J ATF $13.95/qt, I know this price is not good, but there is only one nissan dealer within 40 miles.
I also got 1 gal Nissan coolant and 2 qts mobil1 75w-90 gear oil.
I am going to change the ATF, coolant and differential oil during this weekend.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Question for Q45Tech

Hi,

I am not a liberal arts type, nor am I an engineer.

My question is, bottom line, is it or isin't it good to take the car to the dealer, spend the 165 and get the tranny flushed the right way at 30-40k mi?

I understand your point, but so many differing opinions here, and I plan on keeping the G for a while. I have 50k on it now, and its paid for, so I am not trying to get a new one due to carelessness.

Your opinion is appreciated.
VMF

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
definately so many opinions on flushing vs drain and refill here...

i've got 34k on my car, is it safe to flush the tranny since the fluid is not that bad right now, or just drain and refill it? also how much fluid does the transmission hold if i wanted to do a flush?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Whoa! $165 for a tranny flush?
My volvo dealer used to charge me $89.

I wanted to add another question to this thread. Has anyone been swapping to synthetic in their auto trans?

I will be having the dealer perform my first tranny service at 40k miles, personally. I would have done it at 30k if I owned the car at that time.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many are confused about flushing!
Chemical flushing involves adding [11 ounces] solvents to ATF and exercising the AT thru all gears [5 minutes each] and reverse to circulate the solvent everywhere.
Then exchange 90-100% of ATF to remove solvent and worn clutch material/varnish in valve body and systems. The solvent needs heat 174F to properly function thus the 30 minute exercise proceedure.

* WATCH OUT for short cuts in the circulation proceedure to save time
THEN
A PROPER exchange machine uses the pumping power of the AT itself as it flows toward the in rad heat exchanger at 20 psi.

The return line does not go direct to the pan but cools the rear planterary first so manually letting return run dry can fry the tranny fast!!!!!! in minutes/seconds.............why the machine uses the exact amount pumped in to force out the exact amount of new ATF.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Please don't change your ATF at 30k intervals because replacing transmission after warranty is our most profitable job. We have children in college and boats to pay for and tools to buy.

Study pan cleans and filter replacements along with 100% fluid exchanges.
Funny.....

Not changing your tranny fluid on higher mileage transmissions is an old wives tale from the days of two and three speed auto transmissions (60's and 70's).

Not replacing your tranny fluid in a modern auto trans is crazy. It is totally safe to change your fluid at 76,000 miles. You can pay now, or be a contributer to the Q45 tech children's college fund.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 AM
After reading all these replies I'm no wiser! To be safe I'll change the fluid. But need this answered.....
Have just bought 03 vq35DE. Coming up to first tranny oil change
35k (klms). As they aren't sold here in Australia, dealers don't know (or won't tell me) much about them. Anyone know what is the best AT trans oil to put in? I have choice of Nissanmatic type D or J, but don't know the diiff.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
look at your dipstick it has a bolt on it and if its an 03 there is no dipstick it takes Jmatic ONLY

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it good to do a transmission flush on my G35 w/ 76K?