Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

How much power can the Automatic take???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Just call the shop speak to Sam.

Mine shifts quicker with the VB upgrade as I used to always hit the rev. limiter with the stock one.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the GTM ValveBody with my OEM transmission. It is definitely recommended.

However, just a valvebody, no matter how good it is, has its limits as well. I fried my OEM transmission a few months ago and have been running on GTM's complete Stage 3 transmission since. No problems.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JATCO specified the JRE5 [for 3.5-4.5 liters] for a maximum of 333 lb/ft at input shaft.
The point is offering HP numbers is meaningless without rpm to convert to torque.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PearlG35x
I was thinking of a single or twin turbo.. but i have the Automatic X.. i was wondering if the Automatic can take it? or would i just run into problems...
Get a Tranny Cooler for sure...VB you will need in the end..after a while,, depends on how much whp you are over 400...your trans will start to slip for sure.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SupG35
So, which shop would you guys recommend or "prefer"? I was thinking about Stillen or GTM? I'm in Socal and plan on doing my own removal/install on the valve body and drop it off at their location to reduce less down time. I'll leave the modify of the valve body to the pros. Thanks in advance.
Most seem to prefer the GTM upgrade. As far as I know, they use the Trans-Go kit and do some other value added stuff to the passages.

Not sure what you mean by saving on the down time since the car cannot be driven without the VB. As a matter of fact, it's probably better to let the shop pull it.

This story might sound familiar to some of us here, but if a shop messes it up, the $1K cost for a replacement VB is on them. If you do the work and are even possibly at fault for it not working right, there will be no warranty.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i have the transgo in my car its great

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
Most seem to prefer the GTM upgrade. As far as I know, they use the Trans-Go kit and do some other value added stuff to the passages.

Not sure what you mean by saving on the down time since the car cannot be driven without the VB. As a matter of fact, it's probably better to let the shop pull it.

This story might sound familiar to some of us here, but if a shop messes it up, the $1K cost for a replacement VB is on them. If you do the work and are even possibly at fault for it not working right, there will be no warranty.
I agree, I left my car for a week to have the VB, TC and tranny upgrade done all at once along with the oil cooer and tranny cooler installation.

Been driving the car since 69k and now have 107k....no issues so far.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs

Yeah, I know, but I don't want to have my car sitting for a week or more. I was hoping on dropping off the valve body in the morning and maybe have it back the next day or two. Taken out the valve body shouldn't be too hard, I hope. The Stillen website show you step by step on the removal.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SupG35
Yeah, I know, but I don't want to have my car sitting for a week or more. I was hoping on dropping off the valve body in the morning and maybe have it back the next day or two. Taken out the valve body shouldn't be too hard, I hope. The Stillen website show you step by step on the removal.
This (from Stillen's website) is enough for me to say let a shop do the whole thing ...

"The slightest damage can render the valve body and the transmission unusable. As replacement valve bodies are unavailable, we insure (as you should when sending the unit in) each valve body shipment for the cost of an installed replacement transmission and limited rental car use."

Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Heat kills the transmission. Anyone spending any $$$ on power mods should have a $30 temp sensor placed in line with the ATF cooler lines!

My GTM-5AT stage 3 would not last long in the mountains - tried it at ZdayZ and I'm glad I had a temp gauge on there. I had to sit and let it cool every 20 mins or so... (yes, I have a big TC right behind the IC but when the temp passed 240 degF, I felt that was pushing the limits of the synthetic fluid).

Around town, it's not an issue. Drag racing, it's not an issue. Under load constantly, and the high slip TC heats up that fluid quickly!!!

Keep temp control in mind, drain and fill the fluid every 6k miles, and it'll last even with tons of torque going through it.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Screw a Vb upgrade and tq converter, I'll sell you my whole tranny with the vb upgrade and tq converter already installed, tranny has 29k miles on it only also. PM SENT!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Superchargers typically make less torque than turbos, as well as the superchargers giving you that "naturally aspired" feel as the boost biulds instead of a sudden burst of power when boost hits at a given RPM with a turbo.

Mr pharmD is right though, once the 5AT gets in the 400wtq area the tranny won't hold up to much abuse... and that figure is really easy to hit with a turbo system. A good valvebody upgrade will be key!!

Get the FI of your choice, respect it, but know in the back of your mind that at any time something could go wrong. So before things break you should go ahead and start upgrading once the power adder is on there... it'll be a battle in the beginning - but fun!

But what happens when you do the VB and the tranny still overheats?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by kaisar
But what happens when you do the VB and the tranny still overheats?
Even with the additional coolers?? I have never heard of this happening yet

Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
Heat kills the transmission. Anyone spending any $$$ on power mods should have a $30 temp sensor placed in line with the ATF cooler lines!

My GTM-5AT stage 3 would not last long in the mountains - tried it at ZdayZ and I'm glad I had a temp gauge on there. I had to sit and let it cool every 20 mins or so... (yes, I have a big TC right behind the IC but when the temp passed 240 degF, I felt that was pushing the limits of the synthetic fluid).

Around town, it's not an issue. Drag racing, it's not an issue. Under load constantly, and the high slip TC heats up that fluid quickly!!!

Keep temp control in mind, drain and fill the fluid every 6k miles, and it'll last even with tons of torque going through it.
I know you have a built tranny but would a VB 5AT with a cooler fan be sufficient in support around 500-520 RWHP/TQ for a couple runs and say DD at 450?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
I know you have a built tranny but would a VB 5AT with a cooler fan be sufficient in support around 500-520 RWHP/TQ for a couple runs and say DD at 450?
Not a chance IMO. You will need to completely upgrade the internals for that much power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much power can the Automatic take???