Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

rev or non rev? rev or non rev? cant decide!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
re: the insurance question - it's a good idea to document with photos, videos, and receipts, but no need to tell your insurance company anything until you need $$$ - then supply the documentation (most will cover extra parts with docs though it won't raise the reimbursement for a total loss). The bottom line is that if you want the car covered for more money that what THEY feel it is worth, you will have to pay more.
I chose to play it safe and I contacted my Insurance company, State Farm. I'm glad I did. I have way more $$$ in mods than my car originally cost new, and State Farm would not cover my car for anywhere near the amount I have invested. If it had been totalled or stolen, they would have just cut me a check for $18k or so, in which case I would be royally screwed.

I was able to get my car with all of my mods covered through Progressive. I provided all of the receipts to my agent when getting the insurance policy. Of course, the higher the insurance policy, the higher the premium will be.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by brotherhef
I finially am in a position to buy a z a do a fi setup( possibly a fi setup), but cant decide on a non rev or rev up. Money is not the object. its which is more reliable and better to build on? help!
If you are NOT going to build the bottom end, then I would definitely go with the rev up. The rods are stronger. Thus, for a given amount of hp, it should last longer. On the VQ35DE, the rods have proven to be the weak point in the motor. Also, I would think that having variable timing on the exhaust valves would provide better performance in the higher RPM range.

As for cams, the JWT S7R and C8R for the VQ35 Rev Up both look pretty good. The S7R cams look pretty similar to the JWT C2 cams, which are performing well in my built VQ35 DE. Here is the JWT cam chart:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

GTM also makes cams for the VQ35 Rev Up:

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=264&page=2

Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 AM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some of you are confusing Rev-Up with High-Rev....Rev-up and DE both have to be build to handle alot of boost. High-Rev makes far more WHP (500+) in stock form than the other 2...which makes alittle over 400whp. Some in FI feel that if staying stock but going FI... they would rather use the DE over the Rev-up.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought the rev up had rods that were stronger than the DE, though not as strong as the high rev version. If the rods are the same, then I stand corrected.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I did a bit more searching. Some people are saying that the VQ35DER (rev-up) has stronger rods than the VQ35DE, while others are saying that only the rod bolts are stronger. I don't know who's correct. Perhaps we can get an expert to chime in here.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in regards to insurance if you increase the power/preformance of your vehicle drastically with out the approval from the insurer they can deny your claim. The insurance contract would have been for a stock vehicle and the increase in preformance is seen as an increase in risk. The insurer can simply deny claiming they would have not insurer the vehicle with the increased risk.

Have working in insurace claims and seen it done.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTG35forT
I did a bit more searching. Some people are saying that the VQ35DER (rev-up) has stronger rods than the VQ35DE, while others are saying that only the rod bolts are stronger. I don't know who's correct. Perhaps we can get an expert to chime in here.
The revup rods are slightly beefier than the non-rev. The high rev are beefier than the revup. There was a thread somewhere with pics of all three I believe...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
The revup rods are slightly beefier than the non-rev. The high rev are beefier than the revup. There was a thread somewhere with pics of all three I believe...
That was my original understanding as well.

I think the other issue to consider is that some people were having issues with the rev-up motors burning alot of oil. Maybe that is why poeple have been shying away from them for FI.