Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

For experienced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTG35forT
As you noted, getting custom piping done can be a big PITA, not to mention the increase in pricing over a kit. If money is not object, sure, go custom. If money is of concern, it generally is less expensive to use an off-the-shelf kit. I was very, very interested in doing a custom turbo setup, but opted insted for an off-the-shelf kit because it did not appear to me that the added cost and headache of a custom turbo setup was worth the price.

Also, a single turbo is good for some, while a twin turbo setup is good for others. It all depends on the OP's goals. One should not summarily say that a "single" turbo is the best without understanding the OP's goals. Indeed, from what I have seen here in the forums, for street and road course use, twin turbos seem to be the way to go, while there have been some single turbo builds that work great for drag racing.

In summary, OP, determine what your goals are and how much you want to spend, then evaluate the different solutions that are available within your budjet.
i was saying single big turbo makes more power easier if you want to go over a certain power and im not sure about in states but here in canada going custom its cheaper because we have to ship it and we have to factor in the exchange rate then is not as easy to find turbo kits, i live in the biggest city in canada and there are very few shops that sell turbo kits and lots of shops that can fabricate which makes fabrication cheaper here.

also ill tell you right now that the differences between a single big turbo and twins is a very thin line wen the turbos are not sequential. the design of the kit will be different on both so depending on size they will both have very similar lag unless its a sequential setup and trust me that lag time isnt very big wen you dont have a built engine and we you do have a built engine the lag time is only noticeable wen you are pushing lots of power. the twins and the single both server the same purpose and they are both used in lots of types of circuit racing proving they are both good depending on they type of setup type of power curve you want. the sequential twin are for drag and the really big over the top single turbo but for a regular size single vs regular twins id say its personal preference! just get a setup that the tubo/s are easily accessible so you dont have have problems later on with maintenance and such.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zeidik
i was saying single big turbo makes more power easier if you want to go over a certain power and im not sure about in states but here in canada going custom its cheaper because we have to ship it and we have to factor in the exchange rate then is not as easy to find turbo kits, i live in the biggest city in canada and there are very few shops that sell turbo kits and lots of shops that can fabricate which makes fabrication cheaper here.

also ill tell you right now that the differences between a single big turbo and twins is a very thin line wen the turbos are not sequential. the design of the kit will be different on both so depending on size they will both have very similar lag unless its a sequential setup and trust me that lag time isnt very big wen you dont have a built engine and we you do have a built engine the lag time is only noticeable wen you are pushing lots of power. the twins and the single both server the same purpose and they are both used in lots of types of circuit racing proving they are both good depending on they type of setup type of power curve you want. the sequential twin are for drag and the really big over the top single turbo but for a regular size single vs regular twins id say its personal preference! just get a setup that the tubo/s are easily accessible so you dont have have problems later on with maintenance and such.
No offence, but I don't understand what Canada has to do with this thread. The OP clearly said he was looking for something in California, not Canada. In California, he can pickup a turbo kit from GTM (Rancho Cucamonga, CA), JWT (El Cajon, CA), and maybe some other places.

IMO, both GTM and JWT produce very good turbo kits, and the OP will likely be very happy with either one. Moreover, it likely will be cheaper and cause significantly fewer headaches for the OP to buy an off the shelf GTM or JWT turbo kit in lieu of having a custom turbo system fabricated.

I am not pulling this out of my @ss. I seriously looked into a custom turbo setup. Indeed, if you look back at some of my posts from about 8 months ago, I stated that I was going to do a custom turbo setup. Once I started looking into all of the costs and other issues, I changed my mind. In short, I realized a custom turbo setup would end up costing significantly more than an off-the-shelf unit by the time I paid someone to do everything necessary to build a clean setup.

On the other hand, if the OP has the time, and does not mind doing much of the work himself/herself (I'm being politically correct here), then, and only then, does a custom turbo setup make sense for a Californian who has both GTM and JWT at their disposal. He!!, I use these companies and I live in Florida.

As a side note, and with absolutely no offense to any friends/vendors that I work with, Jim Wolf is one of the two most knowledgeable persons I have ever spoken to regarding high performance VQ motors. The other person is Larry at So. Fla. Crank and Machine.

Last edited by TTG35forT; 08-04-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by zeidik
i was saying single big turbo makes more power easier if you want to go over a certain power and im not sure about in states but here in canada...
TTG35forT, you're too damn nice - lol. zeidik, what the hell are you talking about? You are rambling - and certainly not providing sound advice. Most of your statements seem to be random factoids mixed with a healthy dose of conjecture. Providing your experience is one thing, but giving advice and making blanket statements on topics that you know little about is not helpful. "sprintbooster"? Are you serious? Just stop.

The OP is asking about the Greddy kit (compared to others) in California. Back OT!

TTG35forT, I have the JWT tuner kit and it's got it's good points (aluminum intake piping, nicely researched oil feeds with restrictor for garrett turbos, twin IC for G35 stock bumper design etc.) but it also has a few downsides that are compromises that Jim made I assume either to keep costs down or in an attempt to gain Carb certification. The single air intake (to permit the pull through MAF) is suboptimal as it's a single HOT air intake as designed. For their tuner kit, they should've provided dual CAI, like the APS kit does. The windshield wiper fluid reservoir solution is poorly implemented (leaks no matter what!). And finally the fuel and ecu management are also suboptimal (on the non-tuner kit). I've had to tweak all these things to finally be satisfied with that kit. Most if not all of these are addressed in the other kits, particularly the GTM kit. The only downsides I see for that kit are loss of the front crash bar and the stainless steel intake piping (same applies for the Greddy). APS has stainless piping but a smaller IC so the crash bar is retained. Lots of little details that separate the top kits these days are difficult to ferret out. One last pertinent tidbit: the new APS tuner kits use smaller, lower quality turbos that do not make power on a built motor. APS Extreme kit still uses Garrett BB turbos.

Well mathloon, you should have more than enough to go on between this thread and the FI for noobs thread over at my350z.com.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Project

You need four things, information (lots of it), planning (lots of it), money (lots of it) and an experienced, knowledgeable, REPUTABLE shop.

A turbo car is a system. You have to build that system. If you think you can just bolt on a turbo and drive away, you will have a very unstable system that will end in expensive remorse. And if even this strains your budget (or worse yet, you borrow money to do it), what are you going to do when you are flat broke and you blow your engine?

Most people pretend that this system concept doesn't really need to be addressed because when they get out their calculator, they realize that they can't afford it. I've followed turbo development in these cars for years, have talked to every knowledgeable person I could find and then tried to figure ever angle. The bottom line always comes up the same.

A properly installed turbo with the NECESSARY support components will not cost less than $30,000.

Before you start, you need a goal. Be realistic. As the power level goes up, so does the instability. What kind of tires are you going to run that will be able to get 600 WHP to the street? What percentage of the time do you think you would actually be able to utilize the difference between 600 WHP and 450 WHP? (Think this through very carefully. A lot of money and headaches separates 450 and 600 WHP!)

Did I say be realistic? Read the sad stories of blown engines on these forums by guys who never thought it would happen to them. Read between the lines and see if you see any pattern in the blown engine set-ups.

Get the entire project in view before you start. And remember, cheaper is almost never less expensive!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mathloon
what do you thank is the best and the cheapest.
what about greddy ?? and what kind of clutch is good?
Bro there is no "cheapest" when u talkin bout going over 600 HP. The greddy TT is a very reliable turbo for what goals you are lookin for however, you will need many supporting MODs to be successful in your project hence why you gonna be spendin some bank on this one. Easily lookin between 15k or more when going in the direction where you wanna be.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by silver g
Nothing wrong with the Greddy kit...I just prefer the others I listed.

I do beleive you will have to modify the Greddy kit some to hit your power levels...as far as being cheap and the best...well the best aint cheap, and the cheap stuff aint the best...you follow what I am saying...My motto is simple. If you cut corners you are going to pay for it in the long run anyways. Might as well do it right to begin with, or save your money and not do it all.

Look if you are on a budget you may be better off going with a Vortech Supercharger setup. You will not hit 600HP on that kit, but it will get you in the low to mid 400's. And if you keep it basic I do not think you will need too many supporting mods...Any Vortech guys want to chime in here?
let me correct you a lill. The Greddy kit will hit 600 hp noprob.. no modify needed. With the new 20g kit you should be hittin numbers well in the 700 if you have the proper tune/fuel/internals. But like you said “ the best aint cheap and cheap aint gonna last long.”

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcdash
TTG35forT, you're too damn nice - lol. zeidik, what the hell are you talking about? You are rambling - and certainly not providing sound advice. Most of your statements seem to be random factoids mixed with a healthy dose of conjecture. Providing your experience is one thing, but giving advice and making blanket statements on topics that you know little about is not helpful. "sprintbooster"? Are you serious? Just stop.
you are just taking my words out of contexts and trying to make urself seem knowledgeable lol sure bud watever you say all i was trying to tell him is to go to a proper shop do his homework before he starts anything and make sure he knows its a lot of money and its not simple. as to the topic i know lil about iv been through this in and out and im iv been in the process of putting a turbo on my G35 for 4 months. iv gone from bad install jobs to blowing engines to custom kits to from the shelf kits. anythingcan happen when you start playing with the car passed a certain point and thats wat i was trying to warn him about.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exagorazo
A properly installed turbo with the NECESSARY support components will not cost less than $30,000.
How do you figure this? Cause I'd done the list of parts needed for this many times and never get near this number. I don't know how much you are factoring in for labor though...but unless they charge $10K in labor I don't see $30K needed for 600whp.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
How do you figure this? Cause I'd done the list of parts needed for this many times and never get near this number. I don't know how much you are factoring in for labor though...but unless they charge $10K in labor I don't see $30K needed for 600whp.
Well this has been enumerated before, but one often forgets the small support costs and labor costs are expensive.

Turbo kit parts $6k-8k, labor $2k-$3k
Engine build parts $4k-$10k, labor $2k-$3k

That range alone is $14k to well over $20k depending on your build (cams, valves, headgasket, etc) and might be more. That's just the basic built setup for FI.

Then you have to take care of the transmission, gauges, EMS. $30k? Easily (there is labor associated with all these).

Then you might consider brakes, suspension, rear differential, axles, wheels, tires. $40k? Easily (again, with labor).

If something goes wrong, well, you can imagine the costs, particularly if you lose faith in your shop or you tried a DIY and must now take it to a new shop to start over... You might just double your original budget. That's why the best advice is to identify a reputable shop that does quality work, uses quality parts, and stands behind their work. In California, that's GTM.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
here u want a good refence.. take a look at this thread and yes ALL 1935 POST.
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...5de-built.html

Old 08-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Well this has been enumerated before, but one often forgets the small support costs and labor costs are expensive.

Turbo kit parts $6k-8k, labor $2k-$3k
Engine build parts $4k-$10k, labor $2k-$3k

That range alone is $14k to well over $20k depending on your build (cams, valves, headgasket, etc) and might be more. That's just the basic built setup for FI.

Then you have to take care of the transmission, gauges, EMS. $30k? Easily (there is labor associated with all these).

Then you might consider brakes, suspension, rear differential, axles, wheels, tires. $40k? Easily (again, with labor).

If something goes wrong, well, you can imagine the costs, particularly if you lose faith in your shop or you tried a DIY and must now take it to a new shop to start over... You might just double your original budget. That's why the best advice is to identify a reputable shop that does quality work, uses quality parts, and stands behind their work. In California, that's GTM.

True...but a lot of those things aren't absolute necesity. GTM's turn key 700hp kit + built engine runs you about $13K. Don't know how much more you need in labor for that but lets say $5K more. That's $18K. Lets say you add a $2K clutch package and add $1000 in gauges and wideband sensor. That's $21K of off the shelf parts with you not putting a minute of labor yourself and just paying for it all.

I dunno...I would never spend $30K for 600whp considering you can get that kind of power for half the price on lots of other cars. Have the G as a daily driver and buy a Trans Am as a weekend warrior...lol.

Or, learn how to work on your car and save a ton of money. That's what I did.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor

The OP is asking about the Greddy kit (compared to others) in California. Back OT!

TTG35forT, I have the JWT tuner kit and it's got it's good points (aluminum intake piping, nicely researched oil feeds with restrictor for garrett turbos, twin IC for G35 stock bumper design etc.) but it also has a few downsides that are compromises that Jim made I assume either to keep costs down or in an attempt to gain Carb certification. The single air intake (to permit the pull through MAF) is suboptimal as it's a single HOT air intake as designed. For their tuner kit, they should've provided dual CAI, like the APS kit does. The windshield wiper fluid reservoir solution is poorly implemented (leaks no matter what!). And finally the fuel and ecu management are also suboptimal (on the non-tuner kit). I've had to tweak all these things to finally be satisfied with that kit. Most if not all of these are addressed in the other kits, particularly the GTM kit. The only downsides I see for that kit are loss of the front crash bar and the stainless steel intake piping (same applies for the Greddy). APS has stainless piping but a smaller IC so the crash bar is retained. Lots of little details that separate the top kits these days are difficult to ferret out. One last pertinent tidbit: the new APS tuner kits use smaller, lower quality turbos that do not make power on a built motor. APS Extreme kit still uses Garrett BB turbos.

Well mathloon, you should have more than enough to go on between this thread and the FI for noobs thread over at my350z.com.
We have aluminum intake piping available as well

-George
GT Motorsports

Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
^ LOL. The last 2 posts are 2 more reasons to go with GTM. Next time George!

True...but a lot of those things aren't absolute necesity.
The turn key kits do save you a bundle. When you get into the 600 whp range, the difference between necessity and option becomes a matter of opinion, so let's just leave it at that.

Have the G as a daily driver and buy a Trans Am as a weekend warrior...lol.

Or, learn how to work on your car and save a ton of money. That's what I did.
Or, the other option is just to make more money.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Or, the other option is just to make more money.
LOL....that's so true.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor

-George
GT Motorsports

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For experienced