Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

reflash or not before installing the UTEC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
reflash or not before installing the UTEC

As I'm in the learning process of fully understanding how the UTEC operates on our vehicles, I would like to master the piggyback system before I go full standalone on my car.

In my research if found a lot of speculations about doing a reflash first before installing the UTEC then tuning it. What is your guys take on this process and would you recommend a reflash 1st before installation of the UTEC.. and what Type of commercial ECU reflash do I go with?

Sources..
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Call Tadashi at Technosquare...

Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 AM
who is this person..

Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
who is this person..
He specializes in ECU Reflash...http://www.technosquareinc.com/

Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
A proper ECU reflash (based on your injector size) is always preferred. It allows for smoother startups with your big injectors, and smoother/safer transitions from closed to open loop and back again.

The stock ECU has three maps -- 'bad gas', 'standard', and 'advanced'. One of the maps is called the 'advanced' map where it advances timing by several degrees when conditions are right on a NA engine (good gas, cool air, ect). You don't want this map kicking in as you're going into boost before the UTEC has a chance to pull it back again. Most reflashes replace the 'advance' map with a copy of a modified 'standard' map so you don't have to worry about unexpected timing changes.

On one of my street maps the stock (reflashed) ECU runs with up to 4 lbs of boost before the UTEC kicks in. So unless I'm really getting into it, the UTEC isn't doing a damn thing except some fuel trimming. Without a proper reflash, my engine would probably have a hole in it by now given the amount of backroads and track days we do on an almost weekly basis.

Last edited by djamps; 08-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Great info thanks.. ^

Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djamps
On one of my street maps the stock (reflashed) ECU runs with up to 4 lbs of boost before the UTEC kicks in. So unless I'm really getting into it, the UTEC isn't doing a damn thing except some fuel trimming.
HuH? How did you set your stock ECU to control the car/boost untill 4psi and let Utec take over after.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I recommand buy cipher from www.uprev.com This thing will help you alot when you go FI.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Chef-j
HuH? How did you set your stock ECU to control the car/boost untill 4psi and let Utec take over after.
You set the cutover point (in psi) in the UTEC. I don't recommend it be done by anyone but a competent tuner. Moving the cutover point requires changing the entire fuel map, basically almost a full retune. You also need your stock ECU flashed (and possibly an upgraded MAF) properly to handle timing and fuel in boost.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 PM
You set the cutover point (in psi) in the UTEC. I don't recommend it be done by anyone but a competent tuner. Moving the cutover point requires changing the entire fuel map, basically almost a full retune. You also need your stock ECU flashed (and possibly an upgraded MAF) properly to handle timing and fuel in boost.
Just doing flash ECU will not work that easy. It must need to be on dyno tune ECU with MAF sensor. You are bascially saying that you are running two system with your TT? How much boost you runing?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
The tuner did a retune for both MAF (ECU) and MAP (UTEC) load sites. It's a two part process. On normal cruizing and idle it is perfect 14.7 AFR. it runs a bit rich (11.0) in on ECU from -1 - 4lbs but leans to around 11.5 at 4lbs after UTEC kicks in.

EVC set to 8.3psi on A and 9.3psi on B. Boost cut on UTEC set at 10psi to protect from spikes and so I can't accidentally overboost it with the EVC. Knock detection is also purposely left extra sensitive, although none are ever detected.

Not 'ideal' but the added drivability is well worth it. IMO it's the best mix of drivability and protection aside from a full standalone.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The tuner did a retune for both MAF (ECU) and MAP (UTEC) load sites. It's a two part process. On normal cruizing and idle it is perfect 14.7 AFR. it runs a bit rich (11.0) in on ECU from -1 - 4lbs but leans to around 11.5 at 4lbs after UTEC kicks in.

EVC set to 8.3psi on A and 9.3psi on B. Boost cut on UTEC set at 10psi to protect from spikes and so I can't accidentally overboost it with the EVC. Knock detection is also purposely left extra sensitive, although none are ever detected.

Not 'ideal' but the added drivability is well worth it. IMO it's the best mix of drivability and protection aside from a full standalone.
Your final boost set at 8psi, and you mention that you see full boost at 2k rpms.

Pretty sure both mike and jeremy tuned it. They had it on the dyno for a while ironing out the utec "transition" some people have issues with, I guess this one was a little more difficult.

Full boost at 2k rpm btw. Tons of power and torque all the way to redline.

Will post pics/vids once avail.
usually utec starts control at little lower than 2k RPMs.

You just had reflash ECU to control at idle. Not Flash ECU to control untill "some" psi and let Utec control at after that psi. If that can work like that, SC guys will love it to have Utec. You bascially have stock ECU sensor. You can plug cipher, and can play with utec at 0% colum.

I also do remember your build, AAM TT with JT tuned when he worked at AAM. And you have AAM exhaust, that i remember your picture under the car. great build.

Edit: Btw, once car is tuned. And after if you wants to reflash ECU, your utec needs to get a retune.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Your final boost set at 8psi, and you mention that you see full boost at 2k rpms.

usually utec starts control at little lower than 2k RPMs.
It is not related to RPM in MAP tuning mode; in the manual you should see where it mentions that the RPM setting is only used in pure MAF (N/A) tuning. In MAP mode, 0 column is in full effect at all RPM's below the MAP pressure threshold.

Of course, you have the option of handing full control to the ECU in the 0 column by setting timing to ECU and fuel trim to 0 at some or all points. This means we're essentially running an ECU based MAF tune below 4psi, and UTEC MAP tune above 4psi.

You just had reflash ECU to control at idle. Not Flash ECU to control untill "some" psi and let Utec control at after that psi. If that can work like that, SC guys will love it to have Utec. You bascially have stock ECU sensor. You can plug cipher, and can play with utec at 0% colum.
As of now, UTEC doesn't transition to 10 column until 4psi, and reaches 100 by 12psi. (best to leave some room for occasional boost spike)

EDIT: I think I see what you mean about SC guys. But keep in mind stock ECU is maxed by 4psi at redline. it is not safe to use stock ECU tuning at higher PSI without upgraded MAF. I am still running stock MAF so 4psi is as high as we went.

I also do remember your build, AAM TT with JT tuned when he worked at AAM. And you have AAM exhaust, that i remember your picture under the car. great build.
it was taken back since then for a retune (details I just I mentioned previously) about 2 months ago. I wanted better drivability but didn't want to ditch the UTEC yet. Mike did a fantastic job and I am happier than ever with driving it. Best of all I wasn't charged for this.

Edit: Btw, once car is tuned. And after if you wants to reflash ECU, your utec needs to get a retune.
Correct, this would be ideal.

Last edited by djamps; 08-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM
im hearing alot of bad things happening with Osiris tune on FI cras??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: reflash or not before installing the UTEC