Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Silencer_0's Vortech build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
New color is supa clean, love it. Will the Vortech be in by Wekfest, looking forward to checkin the car out in person.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
It looks CLEEAAN. I hadnt seen yet. Nice come back.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Marcus, if everything goes according to plan, I should be up and running before Wekfest.

Thanks Mario, you'll probably see it sometime at R&J, lol.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Damn!! Didn't know u painted your car.. what size spacers u running on your stock wheels??

Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, the opportunity to repaint the whole car came up, so I took it. I bought new 25mm spacers all around since I hated how sunken in they are stock haha. VS-XX back on soon.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Fab, nice to see that you've finally pulled the trigger on your Vortech. I'm happy to see you're finally getting your car back on track, after the accident you had in December.

I know that you're installing it by yourself, and after assisting Kevin do some of his, there are a few things that I think you should be aware of when you install. We too, also looked at the installation instructions many times and it didn't tell us of some of these encounters that we had.

First, the intake piping is a VERY tight fit. It'll be a struggle to get it to fit, but it will definitely get in there. Don't get discouraged. You may have to bend some of the lines slightly down there to get it all to fit, but it will definitely go in.

The intercooler that Kevin's V3 kit came with only has one mounting point at the bottom of the left side. It is only held on by one metal bracket. Installing it is easy, but once you hook the piping to it, it will be pulled downward on the right side. Only fix for it is to manufacture your own bracket to pull it back and upward, making it look even.

Hopefully I'll be boosted by the year's end, if not, then definitely first thing next year. I'm going to go pick up a set of Brembos, hopefully, next weekend.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Make sure to clear the ac line.. my buddies v3 rubbed a hole in the line..

Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you Son, and Frankie for the tips. I remember reading about how the pipes are a really tight fit and having to bend the AC lines out of the way. I'll just have R&J fab up some bracket for the intercooler haha. I look forward to the pics of your car with the brembos, I'm sure they'll look great.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Let us know when you go to Shawn's for the tune...I'm always up to check out fellow Vortech guys in SoCal, my car is a Church car too...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
you have a good mod list - you're going to love the boost!

a few things to consider

- throw those gauges on as soon as possible (preferably before or during the supercharger install). you'll want to know immediately if things get out of whack post-tune, particularly your A/F ratio.

- install the transmission cooler before or while you install the supercharger. you're going to want the additional cooling to be there from the start, plus it will be easier to install the cooler lines if you don't already have the intercooler piping in the way. also, do you plan to keep the stock radiator with AT fluid cooler in the bottom?

- your choice of gauges is fine, but since you've got a 5AT i recommend you install the temp sender in your transmission oil pan (get a shop to weld on a bung). heat kills our transmissions (i'm sure you got tired of seeing that over and over in the FAQ, lol), so keeping an eye on the 5AT temps after during heavy traffic or hard driving is important. your engine oil temps should be fine assuming your fans are working properly, you retain the factory oil cooler, and you don't overheat your coolant.

- the stock belt (gates xxx795 & 80-1/8" long) that comes with the vortech kit is fine for the 3.125 pulley and GTM pulley tensioner.

- i recommend you just install the supercharger and let Shawn do the fuel upgrades (pump, injectors, & plugs). it'll only take him an hour or so, and you won't have to worry driving around with wacky fuel. the biggest PITA is modifying the fuel basket and you don't want to mess it up. instructions are posted on my350z as part of a thread on installing the CJM return fuel system i think.

- +1 on what konxeptionz said about the intercooler piping. just get everything snugged into position before tightening down the couplers

- as for the intercooler, i took the easy way out and just left the 'temporary' bracket installed on the driver side. keeps everything level.

have fun and enjoy!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
you have a good mod list - you're going to love the boost!

I can't wait

a few things to consider

- throw those gauges on as soon as possible (preferably before or during the supercharger install). you'll want to know immediately if things get out of whack post-tune, particularly your A/F ratio.

- Hmm, I haven't done much research on gauges yet since I wasn't planning on getting them yet, guess I'll start searching info. I have seen a couple people recommend Defi or Innovate gauges though. I was also planning on asking TTrank to make me a custom gauge pod, the one that goes above the clock. Hopefully I can get that in time.

- install the transmission cooler before or while you install the supercharger. you're going to want the additional cooling to be there from the start, plus it will be easier to install the cooler lines if you don't already have the intercooler piping in the way. also, do you plan to keep the stock radiator with AT fluid cooler in the bottom?

- I'll be sure to install the coolers before installing the SC. Do you have a transmission cooler? Also, on which side did you mount your oil cooler? I'm a little confused by your question, I do plan on keeping the stock radiator, for now at least.

Do you think something like the cheap Hayden UltraCooler transmission cooler that Chebosto on my350z picked up from Kragen for $32 is sufficient for our 5AT's? Or would something more heavy duty (Earl's, Setrab, B&M) be better?

- your choice of gauges is fine, but since you've got a 5AT i recommend you install the temp sender in your transmission oil pan (get a shop to weld on a bung). heat kills our transmissions (i'm sure you got tired of seeing that over and over in the FAQ, lol), so keeping an eye on the 5AT temps after during heavy traffic or hard driving is important. your engine oil temps should be fine assuming your fans are working properly, you retain the factory oil cooler, and you don't overheat your coolant.

- Haha, yeah I have it burned in my brain that heat = bad for the tranny. I'll be installing an oil cooler just to be on the safe side, so the temps should be fine for my style of driving.

- the stock belt (gates xxx795 & 80-1/8" long) that comes with the vortech kit is fine for the 3.125 pulley and GTM pulley tensioner.

- So the provided belt that's meant for the stock 3.33 pulley will work with the 3.12 as well? Makes sense since the GTM tensioner will take care of the slack, thanks. If I remember correctly, you're also running the 3.12 pulley with GTM tensioner.

- i recommend you just install the supercharger and let Shawn do the fuel upgrades (pump, injectors, & plugs). it'll only take him an hour or so, and you won't have to worry driving around with wacky fuel. the biggest PITA is modifying the fuel basket and you don't want to mess it up. instructions are posted on my350z as part of a thread on installing the CJM return fuel system i think.

- Great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that haha. For some reason, I was under the impression that Shawn didn't do installs, but having him do them will definitely be more convenient. I'll have a talk with him. Yeah, I've read the CJM instructions a couple times and decided not to tackle that modification myself, too many things can go wrong, lol.

- +1 on what konxeptionz said about the intercooler piping. just get everything snugged into position before tightening down the couplers

- Will do.

- as for the intercooler, i took the easy way out and just left the 'temporary' bracket installed on the driver side. keeps everything level.

- I remember reading that before in the Vortech thread, maybe it was you who posted about it? Lol. I'll probably end up doing the same

have fun and enjoy!
Response in bold. Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated and gets rid of a lot of my doubts .

Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by 350z006
Let us know when you go to Shawn's for the tune...I'm always up to check out fellow Vortech guys in SoCal, my car is a Church car too...
Sure thing, I'll post up whenever I make my appointment.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Here's a pic of my oil/tranny coolers flanking the intercooler, they're positioned to work with the OEM bumper. Not sure how different the Vortech intercooler is.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
^ Looks great, and the positioning would also work with my kuruma front. Specs on the coolers, if you don't mind. Are they twin coolers?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
- I'll be sure to install the coolers before installing the SC. Do you have a transmission cooler? Also, on which side did you mount your oil cooler? I'm a little confused by your question, I do plan on keeping the stock radiator, for now at least.
Yep, I have an Earl's 16 row cooler mounted on my driver side with a 5" SPAL puller fan behind it. My engine oil cooler (same Earl's cooler) is mounted on the passenger side.

The reason I ask about the radiator is our stock radiators have an ATF cooler / heat exchanger built into the bottom. The heat from the coolant in the radiator helps get the ATF temps up quicker after a cold start (coolant temp go up MUCH faster than ATF temp), and the cooling provided by the fans keeps the ATF from skyrocketing in heavy traffic (no flow to the cooler). If you swap radiators or bypass the cooler in the bottom of the stock radiator, you will lose those benefits. I don't have the stock radiator anymore so I ended up installing that fan to help keep temps down when sitting in traffic.
Do you think something like the cheap Hayden UltraCooler transmission cooler that Chebosto on my350z picked up from Kragen for $32 is sufficient for our 5AT's? Or would something more heavy duty (Earl's, Setrab, B&M) be better?
IIRC, Cheston has a 6MT so I'm not sure if he has the same type of cooling reqs as us. The three manufacturers you mentioned are all good...do a search for rcdash's setup...seems to be just right.
So the provided belt that's meant for the stock 3.33 pulley will work with the 3.12 as well? Makes sense since the GTM tensioner will take care of the slack, thanks. If I remember correctly, you're also running the 3.12 pulley with GTM tensioner.
Yep, that belt will work. and yes, i have the same setup now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Silencer_0's Vortech build