Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Silencer_0's Vortech build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
^ Looks great, and the positioning would also work with my kuruma front. Specs on the coolers, if you don't mind. Are they twin coolers?
I don't know all of the specifics because I didn't piece the car together, plus I'm still a noob to FI. Not sure what you mean by twin coolers.

The oil cooler is 13"x5.75"x2", I think the tranny cooler is the same size but I would have to measure it.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I just meant if the coolers were identical, at least, that's what I think 'twin coolers' means, haha. No worries, I have an idea on what to go with, thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by bigc
Yep, I have an Earl's 16 row cooler mounted on my driver side with a 5" SPAL puller fan behind it. My engine oil cooler (same Earl's cooler) is mounted on the passenger side.

The reason I ask about the radiator is our stock radiators have an ATF cooler / heat exchanger built into the bottom. The heat from the coolant in the radiator helps get the ATF temps up quicker after a cold start (coolant temp go up MUCH faster than ATF temp), and the cooling provided by the fans keeps the ATF from skyrocketing in heavy traffic (no flow to the cooler). If you swap radiators or bypass the cooler in the bottom of the stock radiator, you will lose those benefits. I don't have the stock radiator anymore so I ended up installing that fan to help keep temps down when sitting in traffic.

IIRC, Cheston has a 6MT so I'm not sure if he has the same type of cooling reqs as us. The three manufacturers you mentioned are all good...do a search for rcdash's setup...seems to be just right.

Yep, that belt will work. and yes, i have the same setup now.
I understand now, having the temp gauge set up for the transmission oil is more important than for the engine oil temp since, for our 5AT's, it's more likely the transmission oil will overheat, rather than the engine oil. I'll set it up that way then.

A friend of mine suggested these Defi gauges: http://www.defi-shop.com/product/rg/rg_top.html, what do you guys think? I'm planning on getting the Racer series boost and temp gauges, as they don't require a controller.

I've also been looking at the AEM O2 Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kit: http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideba...-gauge-kit-745

Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm exactly in the same shoes except I'm 6MT
hope the install and the tune goes well good luck!

btw, loving the IS-F color...
subscribed.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats awesome, you're gonna love it

Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by ymfromon41
i'm exactly in the same shoes except I'm 6MT
hope the install and the tune goes well good luck!

btw, loving the IS-F color...
subscribed.
Thank you! Hopefully this thread will be beneficial to some people.

Originally Posted by escobar929
thats awesome, you're gonna love it
Thanks dude, I can't wait

Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
What size oil coolers are you getting, Fab?

I'll be following your thread too, so hopefully when I'm ready, I can do a similar set up to yours.

I've already got a pretty decent list of the parts that I'll need to, just confused on some of them like you are though. And I still haven't really decided on what EMS I want to run either.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Im thinking of going with the same setup as bigc, minus the fan behind the transmission cooler. Here's his oil cooler part list that he posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by bigc
My parts list is below:

(1) Earl's #41610 16 row cooler
(1) 6' of -10AN Earl's Pro-lite hose (you can go with stainless or another brand if you want, but this stuff flexes better. also, i think i only ended up using 5').
(3) -10AN 90 degree swivel fitting & hose end (1 will go on the cooler, the other two will connect to the sandwich plate)
(1) -10AN 150 degree swivel fitting & hose end
(1) Mocal thermostatic sammich plate (thread = 20mm x 1.5)
(2) Mocal 1/2" BSP x -10 fitting (you need these because the mocal sandwich plate has BSP threading).
As for the bracket, you can piece together misc straps/plates/etc from Home Depot.

Cheston's parts list:
http://my350z.com/forum/1826219-post63.html

Note, he went with Earl's fittings for the sandwich plate that did not require adapter fittings.
I priced it out and the oil cooler setup comes to about $400 for all the parts listed. Using the same cooler and some of the same parts, the tranny cooler should be around $250 or so.

I thought you were already tuned with Osiris? Isnt the UpRev headquarters in Houston? I'd definitely go with them if they were close by. But usually you should go with whatever your tuner is most comfortable with. Personally, I think a stand-alone like a Haltech would be overkill, at least for my power goals.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
The Earl's coolers are way overpriced. Most of the coolers are made exactly the same. check out www.derale.com

They make great stuff and they are a fraction of the price of Earls.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Congrats subscribe sick build

Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Checking the site now, Sean.

Thanks Lawrence

Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Fab, no I'm not tuned at all.

From what I know, Jtran Studios here in Houston is the only licensed Osiris / UpRev tune here. And I think you've got the headquarters confused with Austin.

A friend of mine had an opportunity to speak with Sam from GTM and talk to him about the utec hot start issue, and he had identified it as just using smaller injectors, 550cc for the utec. I may look into that when I'm ready for my Vortech build. I agree with you that a Haltech is just a bit too pricey, especially with both of us having similar power goals.

And honestly, for me, it would be nice to hit the 400whp mark, but I'd be more then happy with 380whp. The last 20 ponies is only going to be at the top end anyway, and I will more then likely not be drag racing my car.

I'll definitely keep checking back in this thread and using some of your ideas for my build in the future.

I'm assuming that you intend to drive this car everyday?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Oh, I see. I thought you were already tuned, lol. Yeah, I was confused with Austin.

Yup, this is my only car, I drive it everywhere. I do, however, have family I can rely on, should anything happen to my car.

Ordering the Defi Racer boost and temp gauges, as well as the AEM wideband A/F gauge tomorrow. Earl's was sold out of the oil cooler, apparently someone came in and bought all 20 that they had in stock, lol. They'll have another batch on the 12th, so that's when I'll go buy all the parts for the coolers.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
lets not forget that murdered out prius of yours

Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Hahahahahaha, Shhhhhhh .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Silencer_0's Vortech build