Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Who knows about Turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who knows about Turbos?

Basically I'm an idiot when it comes to technicall stuff about cars. I currently have a g35 Coupe and I have been to some car clubs and raced it just on the street. I want to add some more HP to my car, and I don't really care about the money issue as long as it's under 15k. I have gotten so many opinions. One person told me to go only 1 turbo. Another said to go twin Turbo. A third kid told me I should remove the engine that is in my car and put in a turbo charged nissan skyline engine. Someone else told me to get a supercharger. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM GOING TO DO. So I heard rumors that Nissan was coming out with a twin turbo kid that the dealership can put on the car for x ammount of dollars. Is this true? IF so that would be IDEAL, I would rather have the dealership put it on because they know the cars the best, and it probably would not void the warrenty. Someone help me, tell me if this is true? Or does anyone know a better way to go?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by malx on 04/22/03 09:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who knows about Turbos?

Well seems like it's not going to happen. Seems like there won't be anything like that available from Infiniti.

If that's the case you'll probably have to get a turbo kit from an aftermarket company. If you do, at a minimum I suggest you at least start reading up on how turbo's work.

I've seen many blown motors from people who have just slapped on turbo kits on their cars, and never bothered to find out how it works and how much their car can handle. Most of the time, the driver is unsatisfied with the performance of the turbo kit so they increase the boost with a boost controller and next thing you know their motor's blown.

-----------------------
G35-Forum.com

Old 04-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Premier Member

What do you think about a ZEX Wet Kit on a stock g35. I would only do a 55shot, MAX 75 shot if I was 100% sure I can handle it [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2003, 05:26 PM

if you want to know about turbos go get the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

i could write a novel but it is best that you read some books first.

Dan O

Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 PM

Is there any sites to go to read about turbo's?

Old 04-22-2003, 06:51 PM

DanO: Isn't Eaton a supercharger company? You seem to prefer turbos though, from your recent posts. Just curious.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-22-2003, 07:14 PM

Yes, i do prefer turobs, They are more efficent at producing power.

Eaton makes OEM Heilical Roots type superchargers which are generally qute hard to package on a car not designed for it. Besides, Superchargers have a little more parasitic loss than tubos also.

It all comes down to what you are looking for in terms of what type of characterisitcs you want in your engine.

Dan O

Old 04-22-2003, 11:39 PM

What i can tell you is choose the engine characteristics that you like.

Supercharger- instant response, low rpm boost, less complex design and setup, most of the time its more cost efficent. Although there is more mechanical loss than the turbos in the upper rpm range. This is great for power for your dollar.

Twin Turbo - Extra cost, extra weight, it can slightly reduce lag but is not nessecary and not much advantage over single turbo unless you like to say that you have two. It will however be a way to balance your power across the board for a daily driver, but not the route for the serious HP junky.

Single Large Tubo - most powerful (depending on your choice of turbo) but more turbo lag the larger the turbo. This is the Horsepower junkies setup of choice.

Also, i would not swap the engine, that would be very costly and not really worth it and i doubt you could do a good job for less than 15k.

Dan O

Old 04-23-2003, 12:16 AM

Stillen's supercharger is almost in the completion stage - when all is said and done, you will NOT have to modify the hood to accept the added height of the supercharger as first was thought - it is estimated to give you an extra 60-75 HP at the rear wheels - this will probably also be the most cost effective route, not to mention that it will probably be the first of this type of mod to make it to market...

Old 04-23-2003, 12:17 AM

Stillen's supercharger is almost in the completion stage - when all is said and done, you will NOT have to modify the hood to accept the added height of the supercharger - it is estimated to give you an extra 60-75 HP at the rear wheels - this will probably also be the most cost effective route, not to mention that it will probably be the first of this type of mod to make it to market...

Old 04-23-2003, 12:37 AM

Hmm, what's up with that hood that they are selling (for the 350z) then? Is that an optional kind of thing? (it's pretty ugly..)

Old 04-23-2003, 08:43 AM

Why type of Supercharger is Stillen using???

Roots-type
Vane-type
Sprintex Screw
Centrifugal
other

my guess is centrifugal or roots

Dan O

Old 04-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Premier Member

Wow thanks you guys are being really helpful