Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

JWT Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Native1
Why are you so skeptical... (hate much)
If wanting some basic information about the management of the kit makes me a skeptic before dropping $7k on a kit that could toast my motor, then I'm super sketch.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I have a quick question for you. How much timing are you guys running in those 350z/G35's to be running 103 octane with only 14psi? 14psi seems like a boost level that could be run on pump gas with no problems? Are you guys running a lot of timing to make up for the fact that those turbos are basically tapped out at those power levels? Just wondering since 14psi seems like something that shouldn't need race fuel to avoid detonation unless a lot of timing is being run to increase tq and what not.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
I have a quick question for you. How much timing are you guys running in those 350z/G35's to be running 103 octane with only 14psi? 14psi seems like a boost level that could be run on pump gas with no problems? Are you guys running a lot of timing to make up for the fact that those turbos are basically tapped out at those power levels? Just wondering since 14psi seems like something that shouldn't need race fuel to avoid detonation unless a lot of timing is being run to increase tq and what not.

Thanks.
???
These are not 4 cylinder cars like civics or evo's 14 psi on these VQ motors IS definately in the upper range of boost.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Devil's Advocate
Who runs 14 pounds of boost on pump gas?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM

Thanks.

14 PSI on a 10.3:1 compression motor is seriously in the danger zone without 1) race fuel and or 2) a healthy dose of water or water and methanol injection.

14 PSI may be ONLY 14 psi in a 8 or 9:1 compression motor, but in a motor like the VQ, that is well in the extreme care zone.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:06 AM
You guys are not running a built turbo motor around with 10.3:1 compression are you? If so then yeah I understand, but if you are saying 14psi with 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression is in the upper limits then wow(not impressed with how much boost this engine will handle at all) or else there is too much timing in the engine.

Hell my brothers Cobra(not a 4 banger, roots blower so lots of heat, more then a turbo) is running 14psi on the stock block(8.5:1) with 91 octane. There are people running the same cars with TT kits at 15psi(13degrees timing) making 700rwhp with 91/93 octane.

So you guys are telling me that with the VQ engine I am only going to be able to run a hair over 14psi if I understand correctly? With a dedicated FI motor and 8.5/9:1 compression I was thinking these motors would hold at least 20psi, I don't see why they wouldn't unless I am missing a huge design secret in the motor.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 AM
If you run 14 lbs of boost on a stock motor you will be picking bits of engine out of your liver and kidneys (only the pieces that did not blow completely through you, of course, but some will have had their velocity slowed by the resistance of the firewall).

I would not run 14lbs on a built motor with 8.5 to 1 static compression pistons using only 91 octane pump gas either. There are very definite limits to how far you can go before you encounter pre-ignition or early detonation, the point where without the introduction of spark the mere compression of the charge in the cylinder combined with the heat of the cylinder walls ignites your mixture....before the cylinder reaches top dead center. The violence of that event is extreme and the results catastrophic. Once you start getting into high horsepower you get into high heat, on many different operating levels and considerations. Management of that heat becomes a major consideration, as failure to dissipate it effectively will result in destruction of your motor or key components of the motor. This is why certain applications can give extraordinary results, but only for very very brief amounts of time as the set up cannot cope with the heat and/or stress. One of the pejoratives of "dyno queen" is that in the effort to produce a big "chart" to tatoo on one's chest and show off some folks will tweak up a car to be able to withstand a pull or two on a dyno.....barely...and then dial it way down. What is on the chart is NOT what is run on the street or the track.

You cannot get into some of the really big numbers without running much richer fuel mixtures, to the point where some of them ultimately become pretty exotic (and even toxic and nasty to handle) "rocket" fuels. Power is not the whole deal. It is "useable" power, which translates to so much more than just the engine.

Anyway, do some research on the web on the effective compression rates and detonation points of fuels and I think you will be well rewarded with the knowledge. There are interesting matrices of boost limits and fuel octanes

Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Eagle1
If you run 14 lbs of boost on a stock motor you will be picking bits of engine out of your liver and kidneys (only the pieces that did not blow completely through you, of course, but some will have had their velocity slowed by the resistance of the firewall).

I would not run 14lbs on a built motor with 8.5 to 1 static compression pistons using only 91 octane pump gas either. There are very definite limits to how far you can go before you encounter pre-ignition or early detonation, the point where without the introduction of spark the mere compression of the charge in the cylinder combined with the heat of the cylinder walls ignites your mixture....before the cylinder reaches top dead center. The violence of that event is extreme and the results catastrophic. Once you start getting into high horsepower you get into high heat, on many different operating levels and considerations. Management of that heat becomes a major consideration, as failure to dissipate it effectively will result in destruction of your motor or key components of the motor. This is why certain applications can give extraordinary results, but only for very very brief amounts of time as the set up cannot cope with the heat and/or stress. One of the pejoratives of "dyno queen" is that in the effort to produce a big "chart" to tatoo on one's chest and show off some folks will tweak up a car to be able to withstand a pull or two on a dyno.....barely...and then dial it way down. What is on the chart is NOT what is run on the street or the track.

You cannot get into some of the really big numbers without running much richer fuel mixtures, to the point where some of them ultimately become pretty exotic (and even toxic and nasty to handle) "rocket" fuels. Power is not the whole deal. It is "useable" power, which translates to so much more than just the engine.

Anyway, do some research on the web on the effective compression rates and detonation points of fuels and I think you will be well rewarded with the knowledge. There are interesting matrices of boost limits and fuel octanes
I know enough already to say that if people are saying 14psi is to high for pump then these setups are far to new and untested. I think everyone is being a little safe right now and doesn't exactly know what can and cannot be done at a very certain level. Plus 14psi through a turbo is gonna be cooler inlet air temps then 14psi through a centri or twin screw type blower, so you shouldn't have to worry about preignition. If you are really scared pull a couple degrees of timing, not once when I asked did anyone tell me what kind of timing they were running at 14psi with 103 octane.

In regards to useable power, get a good boost controller set it up correctly and you will be fine, just takes time to tweak and play with it to get it correct.

I don't want to build a dyno queen, but I am also not spending upwards of $10,000(tt kit, built motor, fuel system,etc.) to only make 540rwhp/600rwtq if those are gonna be my limits with race fuel.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by roneski
Who runs 14 pounds of boost on pump gas?
On these motors, nobody that I know.........

Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Devil's Advocate
I don't want to build a dyno queen, but I am also not spending upwards of $10,000(tt kit, built motor, fuel system,etc.) to only make 540rwhp/600rwtq if those are gonna be my limits with race fuel.
Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place, but where are you going to get a motor built and a TT installed for under $10k?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by roneski
Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place, but where are you going to get a motor built and a TT installed for under $10k?
Mean like $10,000 and up. Wouldn't imagine doing it for any less then 15K.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by wa2good
On these motors, nobody that I know.........
Like I said and I wasn't trying to be an ***, but how much timing are you running up top? Those links you posted that I asked about were on built motor engines correct? If that is 8.5:1 to say 9.0:1 compression why is 14psi requiring race gas? Besides just telling us that it requires it. The only reason I can see is to cover your ***, a lot of timing is being run, or there is something designed into the engine that is creating insane cylinder pressure at 14psi(but with low compression I don't see this) There is nothing wrong with running 14psi and race gas I am just asking why because every other car I am aware of running turbo(s) with low compression is not running race gas at those levels.

I was just curious if you are running race gas because the turbos are basically flowed out and you are making the extra hp/tq by commanding higher timing thus requiring race gas. Since you tune these cars I figured you wouldn't mind letting us know why.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:13 AM

Hell my brothers Cobra(not a 4 banger, roots blower so lots of heat, more then a turbo) is running 14psi on the stock block(8.5:1) with 91 octane. There are people running the same cars with TT kits at 15psi(13degrees timing) making 700rwhp with 91/93 octane.

Assuming your talking about a 03-04 Cobra.. these motors are built from the factory (ie manley forged rods, forged crank and pistons) So they will hold up to a lot more abuse. Fuel system has a big part of it and air intake temps..

Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by TINMAN
i believe they has website and phone numbers yes?
Just give VRT a call! Aren't they the only ones installing JWT kits as of 5/12/06

Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 PM
buahahahahahha...ok,thanks buaahahahahaha..buahahahahahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JWT Twin Turbo