Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

JWT Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mooka
I just dont get it. Why is JWT waiting for Carb? Every day their market share is shrinking.
A number of reasons, actually (just my opinion, thought)

JWT is based in California and sells a lot of kits ot people in California, and smog legality is a big issue in California. CARB is becoming more important in many other states, as well. It really increases their market share to be able to selll a smog legal kit.

I wouldn't be suprised if the eco-****'s in California make it illegal to sell non-CARB approved parts at some point in the future either. Don't get me wrong, I support making sure the enviroment is clean, and I plan on getting a JWT kit partyly because it will be smog legal and clean. But the CARB ****'s in California are really a pain in the ***.

Dave

Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
A number of reasons, actually (just my opinion, thought)

JWT is based in California and sells a lot of kits ot people in California, and smog legality is a big issue in California. CARB is becoming more important in many other states, as well. It really increases their market share to be able to selll a smog legal kit.

I wouldn't be suprised if the eco-****'s in California make it illegal to sell non-CARB approved parts at some point in the future either. Don't get me wrong, I support making sure the enviroment is clean, and I plan on getting a JWT kit partyly because it will be smog legal and clean. But the CARB ****'s in California are really a pain in the ***.

Dave
That doesn't explain why JWT doesn't release it as a "tuner kit" for those that don't care about CARB. I probably would have bought it a year ago when it was "almost out". But now I'll probably skip the turbo and just get a new car in a few years.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I agree with ^ both points^.

A CARB exempt kit would be great, but knowing what a lengthy pain in the a$$ the CARB process is to deal with... I see no reason why they can't release a tuner kit in the meantime...

Makes me wonder if something else is going on... and, yes, I know there are several vehicles running the "prototype" kits... I wonder what ECU they are running...

I wonder if JWT is trying to put together an ECU solution for the kit, to make it complete. I remember their ECU for the original 300zxTT. Hmmm... I wonder if a programmable/tunable ECU (eManage) wouldn't pass CARB because it is easily modifiable.... but an ECU replacement would meet the specs because it can't be easily flashed/changed. Just a theory... Would explain the desire to not release a tuner kit.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trebien
I agree with ^ both points^.

A CARB exempt kit would be great, but knowing what a lengthy pain in the a$$ the CARB process is to deal with... I see no reason why they can't release a tuner kit in the meantime...

Makes me wonder if something else is going on... and, yes, I know there are several vehicles running the "prototype" kits... I wonder what ECU they are running...

I wonder if JWT is trying to put together an ECU solution for the kit, to make it complete. I remember their ECU for the original 300zxTT. Hmmm... I wonder if a programmable/tunable ECU (eManage) wouldn't pass CARB because it is easily modifiable.... but an ECU replacement would meet the specs because it can't be easily flashed/changed. Just a theory... Would explain the desire to not release a tuner kit.

Haha..hah...theories....just theories.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by wa2good
Haha..hah...theories....just theories.
I used to work in the performance industry back in the "japanese invasion" early 90s... 300ZX/Supra/3000GT days... dealt a lot with JWT.

But, anyway... I have no idea what I'm talking about. Nada.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by wa2good
Not everyone hates it , and not everyone has to wait......just the ones that want to wait
I didn't wait. LOL......

Attached Thumbnails JWT Twin Turbo-blackg_grayg.jpg   JWT Twin Turbo-black488_g.jpg   JWT Twin Turbo-black_g_red_z.jpg   JWT Twin Turbo-black_side_view.jpg  

Last edited by Native1; 12-22-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like the set up of the tiwn intercoolers on that... if i went FI i'd want to have good airflow to the intercoolers but i wouldnt want to change out my front bumper and give away the fact that my car is turbo/sc.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes - the stealth factor is very appealing to me. Plus (I would assume) no modification to the stock bumper reinforcement areas...

Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by trebien
Yes - the stealth factor is very appealing to me. Plus (I would assume) no modification to the stock bumper reinforcement areas...
Correct assumption

Scott at VRT
http://www.violentracing.com/

Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Any updates? If the price is reasonable and they have a decent management setup for the '05-'06 revup engines, I'm in.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MechEE
Any updates? If the price is reasonable and they have a decent management setup for the '05-'06 revup engines, I'm in.
Good........Lets do it. Check your PM's

Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Both the Turbonetics and SFR kits have or will have the split intercooler. COme spring time if the JWT kit is not available I will be looking at these as viable options.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I gotta say I love the split IC as well, I got the HKS kit and it barely peeks out the front bumper duct. I had thought about going with a diff. bumper but I still like the sleeper thing. Those painted black would def do the trick

Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm still waiting for the JWT kit to be CARB certified, for two reasons.

One, I want the CARB certification, no hassles.

Two, I live in Hawaii, and there is no way to get the kit out here, other than flying the VRT team out here to do the install, and while I really do want the JWT turbos, I certainly don't want to pay for a paid vacation to Hawaii for the VRT in addition to the JWT and install.

No offense to you guys at VRT, but I like to spend my money on my own vacations, not someone elses...

Dave

Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by mooka
Both the Turbonetics and SFR kits have or will have the split intercooler. COme spring time if the JWT kit is not available I will be looking at these as viable options.
I think a lot of people will...

It's the primary "unique" feature of the JWT kit. For those wanting to appear stock with the best performance, it's the best bet with those exchangers parked right behind the dual vents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JWT Twin Turbo