Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbomaxima's Official Vortech SC Install Thread (lots of pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a small Red/Blue wire on the main harness, if i do remember correctly it does run where i said, just undo the plastic under the steering wheel and lower it down, pop that piece with the 12v off, look for a large group of wires there, cut off the tape and look for the Red/Blue wire.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by tig488
its a small Red/Blue wire on the main harness, if i do remember correctly it does run where i said, just undo the plastic under the steering wheel and lower it down, pop that piece with the 12v off, look for a large group of wires there, cut off the tape and look for the Red/Blue wire.
Will this be in the same harness as the white/blue (12v batt), black/red (12v ign) and solid black (ground) wire? I don't mind running the wires to the back of the stereo if it is easier, I just want to make sure I get the wires right the first time.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Am I in the wrong spot? This picture is looking straight from the floor, directly under the steering wheel. I couldn't find a blue/white, red/blue or a black/red. There weren't any wires of different thickness either?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Look for the signal by the little coin area by the shift boot. It has a light in it. Just tag it from there and maybe upgrade the fuse in the panel. But you are going to need a digital multimeter or test light.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
if you dont mind pulling the stereo, that would be more reassuring.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by tig488
if you dont mind pulling the stereo, that would be more reassuring.
If someone knows the EXACT color wires back there and they are all there, that would actually make my life much easier. The Defi harness is short, and I'd rather not extend the wires (the box is going in my glove box). Can someone tell me which 4 wire colors I need to grab from the radio harness and I will just do that? I can get behind the radio pretty quickly...

Old 08-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Day 5 (almost there!)

Well, not all I had hoped for today, but what can you expect when you rely on other people? Gauge pod probably isn't going to be wrapped tomorrow, so I am trying to decide if I should even pick it up, or just leave it there until monday. My biggest concern is having the gauges hooked up when I first fire up the car to make sure that there are no boost leaks and that the fuel pressure is reading fine (two pretty important things). So that is still uncertain. I did, however, get some wiring info from Daniel and will be wiring up the Defi Controller tonight.

Onto today, I stopped by Discount/Advanced Auto Parts, whatever it is called nowadays. Picked up a bunch of the essentials:

Ultra Grey Gasket Sealant Silicone (seeing as how Performance Nissan forgot to throw it in with JWT Oil Pan Spacer.. ugh)

High Temperature Thread Sealant (just in case I run out of whatever Vortech sends)

Some Heat Shrink for the SS Box/Auto Sport Harness wiring

Some Wire Loom, I figured it couldn't hurt and I will probably use it for the fuel pump wires and the gauge sensors.

And the last two items, Brakleen and Mobil 1 10W30 Full Sythetic Oil.

I am off to the gym and then I will wire up the gauges and hopefully finish up remounting the power steering cooler. Does anyone know if UPS Saturday Delivery typically comes in the morning; it has always come early Saturday before, but you just never know?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Good stuff.... subscribing...

Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Day 5 Part II

Well, I decided to attack the wiring of the Defi Gauges tonight and it didn't quite go over as planned. The wiring that Dan (SFLG35) gave me for behind the radio was absolutely spot on (power - yellow/pin 6, ignition - light green/pin 10 and illumination - red w/ blue stripe/pin 8), my ability to connect a ground wire was not. After realizing that the black ground wire coming out of the radio wasn't a solid connection, I grounded to a nearby bolt and the gauges light up like a charm.

So we would think all was well, correct? Well it seems Defi didn't intend you to wire the gauges through the passenger side grommet, up to the driver's side a-pillar. Maybe that makes sense to some people, but I had an incredible hard time finding anything to use on the driver's side that was easily accessible. So I spent some time running the wires, because they looked long enough, only to realize that it will probably work but I will have to cut and extend the wires for the fuel pressure sending unit and buy a longer hose for the boost sensor. All in all, it will probably work out, but it kind of made 75% of my work pointless tonight. You live and you learn I guess.

Anyways, onto a couple pictures.. I love the way these gauges look when the light up, the box is sitting in the glove box (no picture).

Gauges and Defi Controller lit up

Gauge Close up

Here is a picture of the wiring, obviously ignore the wire-tap with the big X through, as this was the ground wire that didn't work.

And the NEW, proper place for the ground wire

Time to get some rest and hope that UPS shows up at 9am with some goodies, or it will be a long morning of preperation.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
Awesome Brett, that would be a HUGE help and time saver.

It got down to the 40s last winter here in north florida.. But it's not an everyday occurance by any means. What would be a safer choice?
use 5w30 for the winter and 10w30 for the rest of the seasons.

for my climate the coldest it gets is around 60 all year round. It can go up to 105 degrees or so. 10w30 is good for hot weather climates. imo 10w30 would be fine from the additional heat the supercharger produces.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I am off to grab some dinner.. finished the actual install of all parts in 5 hours with 2 friends. had to extend the gauge wiring which took 2 hours and then ran into 2 fuel issues; will have pictures and full "experience" of today in awhile.

Car did not get started yet.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
I am off to grab some dinner.. finished the actual install of all parts in 5 hours with 2 friends. had to extend the gauge wiring which took 2 hours and then ran into 2 fuel issues; will have pictures and full "experience" of today in awhile.

Car did not get started yet.
Your doing a very good thing here. I do thank you, Maybe I will find the time to do my install when the parts get here. Thanks Pasta

Old 08-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?? you did the whole vortech kit in 5 hours? thats awesome man.. cant wait for this

Old 08-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Day 6

Man oh man.. what a day. UPS got here at 1030am, started unpacking:

Christmas time

Jumped into the Oil Feed/Return project quickly and didn't have too much trouble; JWT Spacer went in fine.

Classic picture of the FMU, it seems that there really isn't much else you can photograph here. The fuel line is back towards the firewall on the side of the engine bay and has a quick disconnect.

Spent quite awhile trying to get the AUX Fuel Pump mounted, but once we got it mounted everything seemed great. NOPE. Why the hell would vortech half *** the tightening of the fittings on the fuel pump? Why? The crush washers were partially crushed and I didn't think to tighten them, as the FMU was already put together. Well, this bit me in the *** and fuel shot out of the fuel pump when we turned the key later on. Make sure you check the fittings, they make look tight but Vortech is just teasing you..

Moved from there up to the top of the engine bay, where I actually had to leave. I had some elderly family friends come in town and mom guilt tripped me into making an appearance at her house; luckily I have awesome friends who keep trucking through the install.

Top portion of the piping

The entire SC mounting plate and pulley assembly was also finished when I got back (I was only gone an hour..)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turbomaxima's Official Vortech SC Install Thread (lots of pictures)