Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech Belt tightening question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by turbomaxima
I thought you were asking if you were CHANGING one belt.. I interpretted your question wrong and I apologize. Hopefully I didn't cost you too much time.
No problem ....I was just busting your chops....... I just had to stop and run to NAPA and grab one cause I left my old one at home, thinking I didn't need it.

I was changing both belts because I had to remove my UR underdrive pulley when I installed my Vortech.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
No problem ....I was just busting your chops....... I just had to stop and run to NAPA and grab one cause I left my old one at home, thinking I didn't need it.

I was changing both belts because I had to remove my UR underdrive pulley when I installed my Vortech.
ahhhh.. so it is all up and running?

Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Talking

ahhhh.. so it is all up and running?

Oh yeah.....seems to be running fine.

I'm just taking it easy on it till I can get up to CPR....prob. next Fri/Sat, so they can check it out and fine tune it.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Well instead of hacking the crap out of the bottom of my cover I took an ice pic and worked my hand down from the top of the car and gently punched a hole through the plastic cover. This pilot hole was then used with a 2" circular drill bit with a guide post (the kind you would use to cut out a circular hole in a door to install a door ****).

I made this hole in the PERFECT location. It actually took me longer to screw 3 pieces of 1/2" maple together with a 3.5" progressive step system to make custom ramps for my car. I loosened the pulley, tightened the screw from the bottom almost 4 FULL TURNS then checked the belt. It was super tight and then I snugged up the pulley on top. (Unfortunately my torque wrench has a 1/2" fitting so my 1/2" to 3/8" reducer plus the socket was too long to get on the nut on the tensioner pulley. I decided to go the brute force method of tightening the pulley w/o using the torque wrench, while making sure not to over tighten it. I'm pretty sure it's on well and won't be coming off any time soon.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Wink

Good work....especially on the custom ramps!

Wish I had of thought of that......

Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Usually just once after you drive the car for a week or so.. You just have to check the belt now and again, it shouldn't be a weekly, or evenly monthly thing.
cool, thanks bro. i was begining to worry that i would have to do that every 1k miles

Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Well instead of hacking the crap out of the bottom of my cover I took an ice pic and worked my hand down from the top of the car and gently punched a hole through the plastic cover. This pilot hole was then used with a 2" circular drill bit with a guide post (the kind you would use to cut out a circular hole in a door to install a door ****).

I made this hole in the PERFECT location.
Neff,

Did your hole wind up comming out in front....or behind the sway bar??

My fat Stillen bar looks like it is smack in th middle of where I need to be.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by neffster
It actually took me longer to screw 3 pieces of 1/2" maple together with a 3.5" progressive step system to make custom ramps for my car.
Stealing my ramp idea huh... i guess that's okay. Glad you got everything tightened up, now you get to do Jason's!

Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
2/3 of the hole is in front of the stock swaybar and 1/3 of the hole is under it. When I take the 12" socket extension with the 12mm socket and put the socket onto the screw, the back of the extension glides right up the center of the hole I drilled.

My suggestion is to start with an ice pic and carefully put your arm between the radiator and the belt. (best to do with a cold car ) Gently put pressure on the sharp ice pic and it will pop through the bottom of the plastic cover. Then take a drill and make a 1/2" dia. hole from the beneath the car. Now try to align a straight portion of a coat hanger (or dowel rod) through the hole to see how far forward or back you need to drill the next larger hole size (I made a 2 or 2.25" hole). It should be painfully obvious once you make the 1/2" hole if you use something like a pipe cleaner or a straight portion of a wire coat hanger and a flash light and try to touch the bottom of the screw through the small hole.

Terry, You can always call me if you have any questions.

Jason, Actually Terry's the one who suggested I use 2x8's to make a ramp. I had to improvise and had some scrap maple left over from my kitchen remodel 'experience'.