Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

what is the most power the vortech can make?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the most power the vortech can make?

after pulley upgrades, tuning, etc...what is the upper limit of the vortech on a VQ35? anyone have experience with this?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Booger has the most experience going the modified Vortech route as far as I'm aware. Why he chose not to go the YSi-Trim route, I'm not sure...
VORTECH V-7 YSi-TRIM SUPERCHARGER
"Large blower" performance in a smaller package that fits most existing Vortech bracketry

Fits engines up to 1200 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 1,600 CFM *
Maximum boost pressure: 30 PSI *
Maximum impeller speed: 65,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 78% **
Available with straight or curved discharge in clockwise rotation only

Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by neffster
"Large blower" performance in a smaller package that fits most existing Vortech bracketry
That would be my guess as to why.

The sky is the limit with the vortech kit, as with any FI kit, it's all about your resources and budget. In the long run, for the most power for your buck, ST is the way to go.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the cap for a vortech was around 400hp. I'm assuming I'm wrong but I just haven't heard of anyone on a vortech making too much more than that.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Booger is over 450rwhp on dynojet #'s with the T-Trim (I believe that's the trim level he has). Hopefully he'll chime in here and brag a little about his set up.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I beleive the real reason is that the Y-trim is not available in a reverse rotation impeller design.

I am pretty sure the vortech unit for the VQ35 is a reverse rotation design.

I may be wrong though......off to do some research.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I couldn't find any info the unit:

2E229-030

the only thing i could find is that all the units that have "9" as the 5th character in their part no. are Counter Clockwise Rotation Units.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Supercharging System with V-2 SQ SC-Trim for 2004 Infiniti G35, Polished Finish

Code: 4NZ218-028SQ

This is the standard polished identifier on Vortech's website. How did you get the 5 digit alpha-numeric p/n?
*edit, never mind... I found this info with a little more digging.......

P/N 2E128-328: V-2 SQ SC-Trim, Curved Discharge, Polished Finish

NOTE: CCW = Counter Clockwise Rotation

Last edited by neffster; 09-07-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
That would be my guess as to why.

The sky is the limit with the vortech kit, as with any FI kit, it's all about your resources and budget. In the long run, for the most power for your buck, ST is the way to go.
The sky is not the limit here, there are MANY factors you will run in too.

Max rotating speed is going to be your biggest issue. If you spin it over its max speed it will either quit making usable power, or blow apart (from heat or sheer force).

Past the compressor, you will run in to issues with the stock Vortech IC not being big enough to effectively cool all the air you are now trying to force in to it. Somewhere along the way the piping will max out, too.

There is a LOT more to consider then just the compressor!

The split second box (from memory) doesn't have very good timing control (if any) so you will have to abandon it once you get much higher then 400whp. It would also be a good idea to ditch the aux fuel pump and just upgrade the entire fuel system to handle all the extra boost.

I looked in to going this route with my Procharger and found that it was cheaper to abandon the Procharger and get a TT (when looking for 16-18 psi). I LOVED the way the Procharger sounded at 8psi, but I was afraid of what it would sound like spinning at the 92,000 max RPM it had! I would imagine these things get pretty loud...

Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned
After my motor blew [ ringland #5
piston ] I decided to stay with the Vortech for 2 reasons . [1] Cost....the rebuild emptied my account as I was still paying for the SC .[2] I dont know enough about FI to go TT set ups and the SC is easier to understand and less to figure out .
I went to the 2.87 pulley and as soon as I did , I found out the seals in the blower went south . I sent it in to get rebuilt and decided to go to the T-trim because with 9 to1 pistons 14psi is about the top psi to run on 92 octane .
After getting every thing working right . I found that the intercooler is a big bottle neck after 11psi . The belt will not hold after 13psi [ at the plenum ] and starts to slip because of the back preasure between the blower and the intercooler .

KPierson...you are wrong on the Split Second Box . It works fine and is able to retard timing anywhere you want to set it at any rpm or boost level . The bad thing about it , as with any piggyback , it will retard timing 1 1/2 degree's right off the bat because of signal delay.
The Split Second Box is able to scale injectors and adjust fuel in any rpm and or boost level . Down side...the fuel map is set up in 500rpm steps [ 100rpm steps would be great ]
As of now , as soon as I get to WOT I,m at 3.8psi and at 4000rpm I'm at 4.8psi
Plans after the motor comes back out and redid By SGP [ I may go to 8.5 to 1 pistons for more boost ] is to go to a bigger intercooler that can flow more air and build more boost up top . With a custom cog pulley [34 tooth ] and the 3.12 serp pulley . Im spinning the blower to it's recomended 55,000rpm's top . After I get the motor back in and a new intercooler , I will see where the boost is at and decide then if I want to spin it faster with the 2.87 serp pulley .
As far as dyno numbers.....lol...If you have read any of my post on it . You know that I feel that DynoJet numbers are over inflated and are not HP numbers you see on the street . WHy do you think most tuners say to tune on a load based dyno . Because they can produce on the street real loads on the motor . Most stock G35's and 350Z's get around 200whp on a load based dyno . After my plenum and exhaust mods I got 219whp . And stock Vortech number was 319whp . With the 3.12 pulley I tuned to 350whp. DynoJet numbers are from..stock...230 to 245whp...after plenum and exhaust mods..250 to 270whp ...stock Vortech..350 to 360whp...3.12 pulley...390 to 420whp . Im not doing the math to figure it out , but thats way over the 13% I added to get the 452whp and 360trq. I stated . My Mustang Numbers are 400whp and 319trq. with a very good A/F at WOT and timing set to 15 degrees BTDC
Sorry but DynoJet Numbers are way over inflated and are for bragging who can make the most . Most bigger cities with both load based dyno's and DynoJet dyno's . Are in compitition with each other to get buisness and the load based dyno shops will add any where from 12 to 17 % to the read out on thier dyno to get bigger numbers to keep the buisness coming thier way . Tuners can also get a very good reputation with load based dyno's because they can show they made more whp than actually produced with a good tune .
I expect to see some good whp out my set up . I aslo have been talking to some guys that are going to the T-trim with a stock motor and you will see good results from it also

Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by booger

KPierson...you are wrong on the Split Second Box . It works fine and is able to retard timing anywhere you want to set it at any rpm or boost level . The bad thing about it , as with any piggyback , it will retard timing 1 1/2 degree's right off the bat because of signal delay.
The Split Second Box is able to scale injectors and adjust fuel in any rpm and or boost level . Down side...the fuel map is set up in 500rpm steps [ 100rpm steps would be great

I was thinking the timing was adjustable in 500rpm steps too, which isn't really bad, but I would prefer better resolution IF builing a high cost, high HP motor!

Good luck with finalizing your beast!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by KPierson
I was thinking the timing was adjustable in 500rpm steps too, which isn't really bad, but I would prefer better resolution IF builing a high cost, high HP motor!

Good luck with finalizing your beast!
Timing and fuel can be set with rpm based or psi based . RPM is in 500rpm steps...and PSI is in 1/2 PSI steps ...I do fuel in RPM and do the timing in PSI

Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Is that the best way to get a good resolution for both. I'm just asking/wondering which is better? Supercharger boost is dependant on RPM so the two are interchangable. So I guess the way you are doing it is best booger. Again, I don't know anything about SC on the VQ, just asking.
Originally Posted by booger
Timing and fuel can be set with rpm based or psi based . RPM is in 500rpm steps...and PSI is in 1/2 PSI steps ...I do fuel in RPM and do the timing in PSI

Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned
Good info, thank you for setting me straight.

How loud is that going to be spinning at 55,000rpm???? You gotta post a sound clip! Mean as hell, is my guess...

Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by djniknala
Is that the best way to get a good resolution for both. I'm just asking/wondering which is better? Supercharger boost is dependant on RPM so the two are interchangable. So I guess the way you are doing it is best booger. Again, I don't know anything about SC on the VQ, just asking.
Ive seen several SS box maps from very good tuners and thats the way they have tuned it....fuel with rpm and timing with psi .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what is the most power the vortech can make?