Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Officially NA (Vortech Drama Continues)...need help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:06 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Officially NA (Vortech Drama Continues)...need help!!

Ok guys. I drove to Orlando and had a reputable shop take a look at my Vortech. The bearings inside the blower is the culprit of the awful rattle. I will have to return after the thanksgiving break to have them take it off and ship it to Vortech.

In the meantime, I took off the cog belt and am running NA. I have some new questions:

First off...simultaneously, I installed an Injen TD exhaust to replace the stock one. My car feels REALLLLLLLLLy slow. I mean....like taking 8+ seconds to run to 60mph. I dont hear an exhaust leak. WTF. The serpitine belt of the Vortech still spins and whines. Would this robbing of some horespower and adding a TD exhaust make my car bog down like that??? I would love to hear from you guys that have gone NA temp. by taking the cog off. DOes it bog you down worse than a stock G?

Secondly...even running NA, my EGTs get up to 1400-1500 on hard runs. Also...my a/f hits all the way down to 11.0. Should a NA car be hitting 11.0 and 1400-1500 egt at 6200 rpms?

Any help would be great guys. My main concern is how bogged down my car is. I hope it is the combination of the s/c (not the blower) still spinning and the new TD exhaust. Does the fact that my CAI is now a like a 7 foot tube (I guess it has to go through all that Vortech piping still).

Please help. I think something may be wrong.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned
Might be a good idea to disconnect a section of IC pipe and put a piece of foam or something over it [ filter ] . You may not be getting enough air thru the BOV . I did mine on the section of pipe right before the MAF sensor . The pipe that has the 45 Degree bend . Turn it out twards the fender and put a piece of foam filter over it . You'll breath much better

Old 11-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Oh come on.....they all sound like that!!!!

So my bearings are bad also.....??

Oh well....did you also disconnect the wiring harness and SS box so you are just running the stock ecu?

Last edited by Brando; 11-18-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned
I dont think you really need to disconnect the SS . Just take out the in line fuel pump fuse .

Old 11-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah....that would work.....but he bought the Autosport harness so it is very simple to just plug it back to the stock ecu.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 PM
FYI guys, a guy in the GSQUAD had the same issue. The bearings in the Vortech went while on the dyno. An insider at Vortech mentioned there was a bad batch of blowers that went out. They know the serial numbers to the bad sequence, but still try to get around giving youa new blower. If you push hard enough, they will give you a new blower as opposed to rebuilding the bad unit.

Also, be thankful you didn't get chunks of metal in your oil pan from the blower cuz that would be an easy way to to make the VQ go boom. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys the heads up and keep an ear out for ecessive noise from the blower.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Diesel1
FYI guys, a guy in the GSQUAD had the same issue. The bearings in the Vortech went while on the dyno. An insider at Vortech mentioned there was a bad batch of blowers that went out. They know the serial numbers to the bad sequence, but still try to get around giving youa new blower. If you push hard enough, they will give you a new blower as opposed to rebuilding the bad unit.

Also, be thankful you didn't get chunks of metal in your oil pan from the blower cuz that would be an easy way to to make the VQ go boom. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys the heads up and keep an ear out for ecessive noise from the blower.
The coolest thing you could ever do would be to contact your friend, get his serial number and then come back in this thread and post it. You might save G8tor20 some time, money and headache.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys....

Todd...I'll talk with you tomorrrow....

And I dont think I need to disconnect the SS as that only kicks in under boost. No boost running NA. I do have the autosport harness so maybe I should do it nonetheless.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Question

Just great Drew......now we have mass paranoia over Vortech noises!!!

Jason, If it is the bearings.....does it make terrible sounds all the time....not just at and just off idle?

When you are reving and up to redline.....is the blower making nasty bearing noises???

Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I dont think so...sound seems to go away above 1100 rpms. Then again...my the engine noise may cover it up at that point. But my guess is that it goes way at about 1100.

I took the car to Next Level Proformance in Orlando and they took a stethoscope looking thing to it and knew exactly what it was. The bearings inside the blower itself. So...I go back in a few weeks to remove it and send it back

Old 11-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Cool

See....that is the thing I don't get.....

Seems like if it was bad bearings, it would be making a hell of a racket at upper rpm's.

Mine makes all kinds of wierd rattleing noises at idle....but only whines like a turbine as speed increases.

Ours came out of the same batch.....pm me with your serial # if you would.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I'll try n get whatever info I can. I don't my buddy will know what batch of serial numbers have problems, but I'll ask. I believe his noise was like realllllllllllllllllly loud. Loud enough to cause enough concern to shut it down on the dyno. I think he was only able to get about 4lbs of boost which is why he made so lil power....which is why he has the shop check everything out.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Bearings in the blower?!?! F*$%!! I may have the same issue although, not as loud as yours. There is no way I'm going to have the shop remove it, ship it, and reinstall when it comes back. I can live with the slight rattle I have now. Does anyone forsee a problem with leaving as is?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
It's supposed to rattle!!!

FI is like infancy. Nitrous needs bottles and bottle warmers, S/C's have rattles and Twin Turbos... well it starts with 'twins'...

Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
yes Todd....its supposed to rattle...but it was getting worse and worse. You heard it at Mikes House and maybe you should re-listen to those videos. Something aint right and Next Level agreed something was not right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Officially NA (Vortech Drama Continues)...need help!!