Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech SC 425+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech SC 425+

I would like to thank the following users for their posts; I’ve learned a lot so far but still have questions.

Gman2004
neffster
Randys_G
kzanard
hyperlitesmu

I have decided to purchase the Vortech SC for my 05’ 6MT when it’s available in a month or so. Would you recommend the tuner kit if I was looking at producing over 425whp? It appears if I get the tuned kit I can use RC 440cc injectors, CJM FULL or AAM fuel return system, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, and Emanage Ultimate for fuel management. I know I should use the 3.12 pulley, replace the belt with a Gates belt (tighten after 500 miles), and change the spark plugs with plugs that are 1 heat range colder. I've also learned that headers and exhaust will decrease boost, but increase HP. An oil cooler and larger oil pan seems to help as well. In addition, what other accessories should I bolt on for HP gains? Is the tuned application really worth it? I've heard stock internals are safe up to 450whp with proper tuning, but should I upgrade internals just to be safe? I want to break 12's with the Vortech supercharger. If it isn't possible I’ll have to go the turbo route. Advice please…

Last edited by jw0039; 12-01-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
If you are looking for more than 400whp I would not choose the vortech. Most people with the vortech are just making it to 400whp or just a bit under. I have only seen a few guys with the Vortech that have gone way past 400whp and it took a lot of extra mods and $ money to get there. I am not bashing the vortech, but if you want more than 425whp or even 425whp, I would suggest you look into the Turbonetics ST turbo. They also have a tuner kit. Then get the 440 injectors, UTEC for EMS, AAM or CJM fuel system, and walboro 255. That should get you to 425whp safely at around 9 or 10psi. You don't need new internals for under 450whp......just get a really good tuner and installer to work on your car and you will be fine.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. Did hurricane Wilma effect you much, I'm a South Floridian as well. Apparently if I get the SC i'll have to invest more money and time, for the same horsepower. I've seen some 1/4 mile times from Vortech SC'ed G35s (nothing in the mid 12's) and with a single turbo (and a great tuner) it appears I can attain mid 12's (nice surprise for STI's and Vette's ). I have a buddy who installs FI for a living so I'm covered there. Who do you recommend for tuning on our side of town? Anyone going to defend the Vortech? Seems like Gman is right on...

Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by jw0039
Seems like Gman is right on...
X2!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
2 Cars......2 Turbos...
Gmann knows his stuff. If anyone can really tell you the nuts and bolts about FI on a G it would have to be him. As far as other mods you may want to seriously consider for you setup:

A Plenum spacer or the Kinetix plenum. People are seeing great gains on these with N/A setups, I put one on my Greddy TT and decreased my low boost by 1.2 psi and still made the same hp and torque with a 5/8" spacer. It's a great mod I recommend it. Randys_G just had one installed as well. Ask him what he thinks about his.

Another thing you may want to consider is a head gasket. I really nice, thick metal head gasket. Be careful with this mod, just because you lower your compression ratio to somewhere in the 8.8:1 range doesn't mean you have the internals to handle 12 to 15 psi. Is is just a great safeguard from bending rods and such. THis mod will set you back about $900 to $1000 installed. The gasket is dirt cheap but getting to the heads to install it is a pain.

Another good safegaurd is a knock sensor and a wideband O2 sensor to keep an eye on your A/F

All of these things are options and will definately set you back a pretty penny. For a reliable out of the box ST or SC set up, the Fuel return is a must, the spark plugs are a must, the UTEC is a great unit for EM.

Gmann, does the UTEC include a reflash? I think to be the safest you can be with FI you have to go with a reflash to standardize the stock fuel maps on the ECU? I also think a Walbro 255 fuel pump comes with the AAM fuel return system....again correct me if I'm wrong there guys, so be sure not to buy an extra one if it's included.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Does the TN-ST fit on a 2005 or 2006 6mt?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Very interested in this thread...subscribing!

Thus far, the TN ST looks to be the way to go for a higher HP and TQ number while remaining on stock internals.

My goal is 400whp and around 400tq...is that acheivable with the TN? (the TQ number that is? and is it safe?)

Also, this might be stating the obvious, but is a Clutch/Flywheel upgrade a must for this setup?

Thx.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by neffster
Does the TN-ST fit on a 2005 or 2006 6mt?
Not yet, the kit for 05+ will be out early next year.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
2 Cars......2 Turbos...
Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
Very interested in this thread...subscribing!

Thus far, the TN ST looks to be the way to go for a higher HP and TQ number while remaining on stock internals.

My goal is 400whp and around 400tq...is that acheivable with the TN? (the TQ number that is? and is it safe?)

Also, this might be stating the obvious, but is a Clutch/Flywheel upgrade a must for this setup?

Thx.

You WILL end up with less than 400 tq if you make 400 rwhp. That's just the way things work, the only way to see higher tq numbers is to go get a bigger engine, get a turbo deisel with a towing package, get and AWD car, etc. But in the 370 or 380 ft/lb is reasonable, give or take a few ft/lbs.

As for the clutch anf Flywheel, it's not a must, but a few months after the turbo install is on your clutch will be throwing in the towel. Plus the response of the power through the driveshaft and to the wheels will be exponetially greater with a heavy duty clutch. There will be 0 clutch slip and the delivery of the power will be incredibly smooth. Is it a must.......If not when you get the turbo....a few months after......So yeah I would do it while the car is in the shop for the upgrade that way you won't get it back, drive it for a while, and have to put it back in the shop to drop the tranny and get a new clutch and flywheel. Plus with a bulk install you will probably get a break on some of the labor to install the clutch and flywheel (which is a lot.)

Old 12-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Called TubroKits.com today and spoke to a rep. The Turbonetics kit is the best bet. Bold on 380whp @ 8psi. Kit is good to 575whp (you'll need internals, duh ). Guess the price? 5K!!! Installation on a 05 6MT will require some work however. He said the new motor sits an 1" or so lower, but could be done in theory. How realistic is that statement? Anyone out there tried this yet? Check out what you get. You'll also need a Greddy Emanage Ultimate since the 05 6MT has higher rev and variable valve timing and the flash provided with the kit is for an 03'.

-Turbonetics T60-1 Ball Bearing Turbo
-Polished Mandrel-Bent Exhaust Pipe
-2.5" Stainless Mandrel-Bent downpipe
-Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate
-Spearco W.A.V.E. Front-Mount Intercooler
-Duel Fan Intercooler Shroud
-Turbonetics Raptor Blow Off Valve (BOV)
-Turbonetics AF-1 Air Filter
-Black Chrome Mandrel Aluminum Piping
-(6) 380cc Injectors
-Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit
-Turbonetics FULL ECU Re-Flash
-(1) Case TS-1 Synthetic Turbo Oil
-Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams
-All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

Throw in a turbo timer, boost controller, and some gages and ur ready for a safe 400+whp. If I can find any1 who set this up on a 05 6MT I'll have FI in Jan when I get my tax return. Thoughts please....

Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
If I didn't miss it, add in an autosport wiring harness and 1 step colder plugs and I think you've got yourself a list.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
2 Cars......2 Turbos...
I agree accept for the 380cc injectors....The duty cycle for 380 rwhp will be close to 90% if not higher. I suggest 440cc like with the other FI kits or even higher. I have 660cc injectors in mine. The only reason I say that is if for some reason your engine senses it is leaning out and you don't have the duty cycle to increase the fuel at that moment BOOM!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Beta99
Not yet, the kit for 05+ will be out early next year.
That is cause they are working a flash for the 05+. Unless there was some change to the motor, other than rev up, that should not affect how the kit is installed. The difference is going to be the tune, but if you go with your own EMS like UTEC, then that won't matter.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by hyperlitesmu
Gmann, does the UTEC include a reflash? I think to be the safest you can be with FI you have to go with a reflash to standardize the stock fuel maps on the ECU? I also think a Walbro 255 fuel pump comes with the AAM fuel return system....again correct me if I'm wrong there guys, so be sure not to buy an extra one if it's included.
Fuel pump does not come with the AAM, but the pump is only $95. You are looking at $1100 for AAM with fuel pump. I think CJM return is a couple hundo more.

As far as the relash for the UTEC, it is not needed. The UTEC take over the timing. You won't be doing plus or minus off of the OEM timing. You tell the UTEC 15 degrees advance timing and that is what the motor will see. If I keep my car I am ditching the EU and getting the UTEC.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM
For those of you that want the TN ST and are going to use an EMS instead of the flash, don't waste your money buying the entire kit, buy the tuner kit.

Also, If I decide to keep my car, I will be selling my Emanage Ultimate, Autosport wiring harness, boost pressure sensor (used for map tuning with turbo application), boost pressure harness X 2 (one to support the auto tune feature of the EU), injector harness, ignition harness, and rpm signal adapter. I paid $1309 for all the parts and to have the EU wired to the autosport. I will let it go for $750 plus you pay shipping. Basically you will have a plug and play EU, which will save you money on your install. Anyone insterested please email me at jguzman@carnival.com. I will know if I am going to keep my car by the end of next week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech SC 425+