Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

VRT's quest for 800+ streetable HP.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezThreeFive
Well, I have been really contemplating going TT with my '05 6MT (lurking in these FI boards for months). My first hurdle was deciding whether I was gonna keep the car. Now that I have fallen in love with this platform and decided to get off the new car "treadmill", my short-to-long term plans are to definitely go TT with a built motor.

I want to build in stages with engine and TT kit first before tackling suspension due to budget constraints (extra cashflow is not huge but thankfully consistent ) My initial goals are TT with forged internals/built motor, clutch and flywheel, while maintaining stock tires and body (for the sleeper look). I want 450WHP and torque to match (if not close). I know forged internals/built motor will probably be overkill for my target HP range but I'm thinking of the future (more boost with matched traction) plus the reliability factor goes up as this is my daily driver.

What do ya think?

This is my daily driver so I guess I would have to
If you have a built motor and TT the only difference between 450whp and 550whp is turning up the boost. So basically what I am saying is you will have built a 550whp car, but you can turn it down to 450whp if you would like. Now, if you are not going to track your car, you will never use 450whp, trust me. I run my car at 400whp on the street usually and I dont really even get to use that. If you are going to track your car, I HIGHLY suggest doing suspension and brakes first, or at the same time because again, without those, you will never be able to put that much power to use. Give VRT a call and they can at the very least, help you figure out what steps to take with your car. They are super nice guys.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by 350ZNV
If you have a built motor and TT the only difference between 450whp and 550whp is turning up the boost. So basically what I am saying is you will have built a 550whp car, but you can turn it down to 450whp if you would like. Now, if you are not going to track your car, you will never use 450whp, trust me. I run my car at 400whp on the street usually and I dont really even get to use that. If you are going to track your car, I HIGHLY suggest doing suspension and brakes first, or at the same time because again, without those, you will never be able to put that much power to use. Give VRT a call and they can at the very least, help you figure out what steps to take with your car. They are super nice guys.
350ZNV, thanks for your input. I am a little apprehensive with tracking my G(mostly because I'm scared to total my car) but I did a caranddriver marketing event with subie legacy's once here at the old El Toro base where we got to push the legacys through a couple of courses (and did a hot lap) where I got totally hooked!

I realize i'm gonna spend some $$; I just want to make sure that my $$ are maximized and by that, I mean I leave the most options available to me for future pursuits with the G.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:43 PM
350ZNV, thanks for your input. I am a little apprehensive with tracking my G(mostly because I'm scared to total my car) but I did a caranddriver marketing event with subie legacy's once here at the old El Toro base where we got to push the legacys through a couple of courses (and did a hot lap) where I got totally hooked!

I realize i'm gonna spend some $$; I just want to make sure that my $$ are maximized and by that, I mean I leave the most options available to me for future pursuits with the G.
The most you will get for your $$$ is doing everything at once. You will save a TON in labor that way. Do things like cams while the motor is already taken apart for the inital building, Jet Hot coat before the turbo kit is installed, and so on. As far as tracking your car, I would say you are less likely to total your car at the track then on the streets, and if you learn how to drive on the track, it will also make you a MUCH better driver on the streets. You don't need to go out there and win a race. Most track events are driving schools, not races, so go at your own pace and stay in your comfort zone. I think that track events are the absolute best performance mod for your car. What good is 500+whp if you don't know how to handle it?

Old 04-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow that acceleration!!! Watching that speedo move from 120 to near 160 that fast makes it look the space shuttle gaining altitude!!!

Now if I could only win the lotto so that I could have VRT build me a monster and then I could spend most of my days at the track!

Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
well moving from 120-160 on a dyno vs in real life with wind resistence are obviously 2 totally different things

impressive car though. Hope the block doesn't start warping or having headgasket leak problems like others with high whp have had

Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have been really contemplating going TT with my '05 6MT (lurking in these FI boards for months). My first hurdle was deciding whether I was gonna keep the car. Now that I have fallen in love with this platform and decided to get off the new car "treadmill", my short-to-long term plans are to definitely go TT with a built motor.

I want to build in stages with engine and TT kit first before tackling suspension due to budget constraints (extra cashflow is not huge but thankfully consistent ) My initial goals are TT with forged internals/built motor, clutch and flywheel, while maintaining stock tires and body (for the sleeper look). I want 450WHP and torque to match (if not close). I know forged internals/built motor will probably be overkill for my target HP range but I'm thinking of the future (more boost with matched traction) plus the reliability factor goes up as this is my daily driver.

What do ya think?

This is my daily driver so I guess I would have to
Lets build your car then....PM sent.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMAZING!!!!!!! What I wouldnt give to work at a shop like that

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM
New video!!!!! A full speedo run on the dyno to 180+mph on 23psi as well as playing with a Ford GT and a Ferrari 360 Challenge at the track this past weekend! Enjoy...

Quicktime
http://violentracing.com/videos/24PSI_06.htm

Windows
http://www.violentracing.com/videos/...ndows24psi.wmv

Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
INSANE numbers guys...

Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Mike B is right on the bullseye with his advice. But we also recognize, all of us, that turning a car from stock into a full blown VRT supercar killer is an expensive proposition that is not for everyone. One of the reasons is that not everybody really wants that "much" car, and of course another is money.

Doing a build in stages, without undoing what has gone before, is a good way to gradually work your way up, and in more manageable financial bites.

To that end Mike A at VRT and I have been swapping ideas and our experiences on car builds and coming up with a "menu", essentially a series of build steps that you can do yourself, or have done for you. It is not unlike going to a restaurant and getting a combination plate order that is all preselected, with all the bits and pieces intended to give a harmonious and satisfying result based on expert advice and experience. In addition, the stages will have not only the parts listed by type, but the type of driving experience gains you will get, and the impact to the civility of the car also described so you can have a better idea before you do anything to the car, what will happen to it and use that to judge whether it is just what you want, not enough, or a step too far to the extreme. There will be coming a line of parts, we hope, customized by VRT for their cars which you can buy, or you can source your own close-to-equivalents and do it yourself. (the packaging of the parts will hopefully allow for lower pricing and thus even better deal for the customer, at least that is the thought). Of course the last step is the issue of motor build and forced induction, and if you go that route, it automatically sweeps into it certain of the other recommended menu items.
It will take a few more days to work this out, but it is fun to noodle.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by BeerViper
Wow that acceleration!!! Watching that speedo move from 120 to near 160 that fast makes it look the space shuttle gaining altitude!!!

Now if I could only win the lotto so that I could have VRT build me a monster and then I could spend most of my days at the track!
You HAVE a monster!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by wa2good
No, these runs were made on 103 octane.
Nice numbers! Not to be rude or anything, but do you feel with 14psi you could have made that pull on 91 or 93 Octane? I know you probably have 103 in the tank for a safety factor while initially tuning, but in all honesty I imagine you could have. Do you know how many degrees of timing that 14psi pull was made with? Also how much hp/tq do you loose with the wheels on? Are you going to take it to a Mustang Dyno next time. Thanks I am much more impressed with the numbers this kit is putting out then the smaller one. 3000rpm is really good for full spool.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Randys_G
You HAVE a monster!
This is true, but mine is a daily driven monster and that could be a "track queen" monster that rides on a trailer everywhere

Old 04-27-2006, 04:04 PM
This is true, but mine is a daily driven monster and that could be a "track queen" monster that rides on a trailer everywhere
Its a daily driven monster as well.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned
This (above pictured and dynoed) VRT car in question IS most certainly a daily driver, I went out in it last night, and drove it taday a little. After I get it aligned tomarow, it will be driven even more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VRT's quest for 800+ streetable HP.