Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!

It happened a few hours ago. I was pulling away from a stoplight (not getting on it all) and all of sudden...BOOM, then I heard various ungodly clanking, and then an oil/coolant trail followed me all the way to a close parking lot, a trail probably at least 1/4 mile long!

Then there was the adventure of trying to get a flatbed in my area to pick up a lowered car with a bodykit. My front bumper is only about 4" off the ground. I thought I might have leave her overnight in this retail store parking lot. Man, what a nightmare! Luckily, I was finally able to find one who would come out and was actually very careful. I had to help lift the front end so they could get her up without scraping.

I'd appreciate any advice from you guys that have built your motors. What's the best approach and what you might do differently. I know everyone says you're never happy with the hp you have but I'm sure, I would be very satisfied with 500-550whp. I can't imagine a 100whp more than I have now.

Any help or advice for the build and these power goals would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianlG35C
It happened a few hours ago. I was pulling away from a stoplight (not getting on it all) and all of sudden...BOOM, then I heard various ungodly clanking, and then an oil/coolant trail followed me all the way to a close parking lot, a trail probably at least 1/4 mile long!

Then there was the adventure of trying to get a flatbed in my area to pick up a lowered car with a bodykit. My front bumper is only about 4" off the ground. I thought I might have leave her overnight in this retail store parking lot. Man, what a nightmare! Luckily, I was finally able to find one who would come out and was actually very careful. I had to help lift the front end so they could get her up without scraping.

I'd appreciate any advice from you guys that have built your motors. What's the best approach and what you might do differently. I know everyone says you're never happy with the hp you have but I'm sure, I would be very satisfied with 500-550whp. I can't imagine a 100whp more than I have now.

Any help or advice for the build and these power goals would be greatly appreciated!
Like I said. If you need anything let me know.......

Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Brian,
Man, sorry to hear about your motor. Did you have an a/f gauge to see if your G was running lean. Our stock motor is definitely a weak link when going FI. You know where this route is heading. IMO.. More money and more headaches, when you decide to upgrade everything for higher horsepower potential with a built motor. With APS kit you'll need to change wastegate actuators, better fuel return, upgade injectors, etc. Also clutch and flywheel upgrade. I say only rebuild the motor, and dont upgrade anything else, and STAY with a conservative tune. Then it would be IMO a reliable FI car. I know you'll be tempted to upgrade all parts to get 550+rwhp, but Im betting those Gs/Zs are not very reliable as daily driver. Ask yourself if your planning on keeping your G for long time, that may help you decide on what other upgrades you decide to have done. ....... Good luck.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow - really sorry to hear that. I considered you living proof that you could break the 400 rwhp barrier safely on stock internals - thought a good tune with unichip was going to last for you.

Best of luck to getting her back up and running, even stronger than before...

Old 04-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Brian,
Man, sorry to hear about your motor. Did you have an a/f gauge to see if your G was running lean. Our stock motor is definitely a weak link when going FI. You know where this route is heading. IMO.. More money and more headaches, when you decide to upgrade everything for higher horsepower potential with a built motor. With APS kit you'll need to change wastegate actuators, better fuel return, upgade injectors, etc. Also clutch and flywheel upgrade. I say only rebuild the motor, and dont upgrade anything else, and STAY with a conservative tune. Then it would be IMO a reliable FI car. I know you'll be tempted to upgrade all parts to get 550+rwhp, but Im betting those Gs/Zs are not very reliable as daily driver. Ask yourself if your planning on keeping your G for long time, that may help you decide on what other upgrades you decide to have done. ....... Good luck.
Larry, thanks a lot for the sound and thoughtful advice. I really appreciate it and will probably go the route you suggest. I don't want it to be any more of money pit than it already is.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Originally Posted by rcdash
Wow - really sorry to hear that. I considered you living proof that you could break the 400 rwhp barrier safely on stock internals - thought a good tune with unichip was going to last for you.

Best of luck to getting her back up and running, even stronger than before...
Thanks man, It's been running great all winter. I just don't understand it.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:00 AM
G RIDIN
man that really sucks!! I agree with the other guys, if you are going to Daily Drive the car, just build the engine and leave everything else aside and just have very very safe 420whp G.

EDIT- Oh, i guess if your not going to be looking for more power, you might want to keep it the same compression so you don't have to turn up the boost higher. Just get everything forged, so it can handel the power.

Good Luck!!!

Mahdi

Old 04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Banned
Sorry to hear about your motor . Its a bitch when it happens .Hope the build goes good for you .

Old 04-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Have a look at THESE guys.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... that's scary.. just happened out of no where.. and was running fine all winter? Was it getting warmer? Anything you can think of that could have been a culprit?

Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Sounds like you threw a rod. You didn't have ANY knocking before it happend?

Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 AM
damn.... that suks...... i say rebuild and keep it conservative.....

Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I would say and wait till the headligt/cooling issues are taken care of. Maybe a month or two more then decide what to do with the motor.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:34 PM
ouch....so sorry to hear man damn that sucks made me turn down my boost to 6psi !!

Winston.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Thanks guys!

Meatbag, anything you can tell me about issues you mentioned? Are you building your motor yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!