Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006 | 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
Go Vortech.
From what I have heard

Old 06-29-2006 | 04:09 PM
fgc moderator
Originally Posted by 03 6MT
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the input. I looked up forgedinternals and will swing by there this weekend. Reliability is first and foremost as this is my daily driver. I'm not looking for anything extreme as I'm looking to only buy the kit, get a good tune and gauges, so 380 whp is good enough for me. Stillen...I hate the hood. HKS, looked at one they were installing at CPRacing and the SC only engages under full throtte. I love the pull of a turbo as I used to have one awhile back. If the Turbonetics ST kit is equal in reliability to the Vortech, then there's my answer. I don't want to run the risk of damaging anything with the torque of the turbo, so if it's that extreme, I might need to go for something more linear, ie SC. I want the benefit of good power in the 2500 to 5500 rpm band. After driving several loaners over the last 4 weeks, the automatics seem to rev smoother and faster to the redline than my 6mt. Around 6000 rpm, my car sounds truckish.
from your post, go vortech. the turbo gives more options for upgrading later on down the road. the other main factor is your style of driving. the sc will give you that daily driver power from 2500-5500 that you're looking for.

Old 06-29-2006 | 04:35 PM
well there will be more power 2500-5500 with a vortech, but not as much as a turbo - not even close, at least between 4000-5500 rpms. The vortech really starts get going at around 5000 rpms on the stock 3.33 pulley.

the 3.13 starts working hard at 4500
the 2.87 starts at 4000

below that point the power drops off linearly, but you will for sure feel a definite increase in power around 2500 rpms and less. More than a turbo would give you. A fast spooling JWT or APS twin turbo might be close to about the same power at 2500 rpms as a vortech.

check out this graph - these are some tracings of dynos all adjusted to be roughly dynojet numbers

the red is a stock car

the blue is with a bunch of NA mods - cams, headers, HF cats, exhaust, intake, etc etc etc

the purple is your typical TN turbo setup with stock ECU flash and I think stock exhaust

the green is a vortech with 3.12 pulley, headers, cats, exhaust, plenum, with a more aggressive tune

keep in mind the beginning of the vortech and TN graphs have some error in them for the first few hundred rpms as the dyno syncs up. They wouldn't normally go below the stock dynos like they're being shown to do

the 2nd graph shows my original NA dyno and my car with the 2.87 vortech pulley. There's a big difference, even at 2500 rpms. I traced the original charts to clean it up. I have the originals for anyone wanting proof - these were adjusted to read out as dynojet numbers. However, I had every possible NA breathing mod so adding in a vortech with a 2.87 pulley added a lot of power to my car since it was already breathing really well. Dynos were done about 7 months apart on the same dyno

Attached Thumbnails Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE-graphs.jpg   Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE-graphs2.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 06-29-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2006 | 10:30 PM
|
Cool, appreciate the info. I'm still leaning towards the Vortech. Just waiting on the guys at CP Racing to get one in so that I can hear it in person. Right now, the biggest drawback is that rattling noise, but I just need to hear it for myself.