Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

G37X on the way, Article attached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^ I also agree with this. However I don't think it's something that will happen in this sport luxury category. My hope is that the next generation Nissan Z will maintain or reduce weight a bit with more power.
Deane, Inifiniti had discussed several years ago about a front monocoque platform as an evolutionary development. The plan was to use an aluminum intensive chassis, based on a racing monocoque theme. This would have given greater rigidity and lightness. Additionally, there was discussion of having an ideal 50/50 weight distribution. When Infiniti Michael first came on the board, I posed this question to him. He acknowledged that the idea had been tossed around, but didn't know what had happened to it.

My suspicions tell me that the beancounters at Infiniti decided to just upgrade everything slightly and let the powertrain speak for the car. Thus, the G37, configured on the existing G35 platform, became heavier. We now have the illusion of a better car because it is heavier and more solid. The downside is that performance has barely maintained parity with the G35 Coupe. This is the kind of thinking that got GM, Ford and Chrysler into trouble. Recycle old platforms until they just couldn't compete anymore. Look at the Fox chassis in the Mustang and the F body chassis introduced in 1970 as examples.

The thought of a G37X looking like a bloated walrus just makes my stomach turn. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination to see a 2 ton G in the future. Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend not only of Infiniti, but of Lexus, BMW and Audi. Mercedes has already been there, so nothing is changing for them.

BTW, as an addendum to this, I went last week to Infiniti to look at the G37's at my dealer's lot. They had 5. All were loaded to the gills with options and the highest one was almost $44,000! I asked the salesman about getting a base G37S. He unequivocably said that it would never happen. He said the dealer would never order such an "oddball car". He said they will sell them like this because this is what the market is demanding. After driving away, I thought to myself that I would rather have a Corvette C6 for just a little more coin, than to have a $44,000 G37. Where is the price advantage that Infiniti used to have?

Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We're on the same page here Bill. I think cost plays a big factor. I am hoping for a lighter 350Z down the road. I'm much less interested in more luxury at the expense of more weight, weaker handling, worse economy. With Infiniti moving in that direction it makes me want to do an about face to a more sport oriented model.

I agree with you on the Vette. In Canada there is still a huge price difference between them however.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:14 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Samson
Deane, Inifiniti had discussed several years ago about a front monocoque platform as an evolutionary development. The plan was to use an aluminum intensive chassis, based on a racing monocoque theme. This would have given greater rigidity and lightness. Additionally, there was discussion of having an ideal 50/50 weight distribution. When Infiniti Michael first came on the board, I posed this question to him. He acknowledged that the idea had been tossed around, but didn't know what had happened to it.

My suspicions tell me that the beancounters at Infiniti decided to just upgrade everything slightly and let the powertrain speak for the car. Thus, the G37, configured on the existing G35 platform, became heavier. We now have the illusion of a better car because it is heavier and more solid. The downside is that performance has barely maintained parity with the G35 Coupe. This is the kind of thinking that got GM, Ford and Chrysler into trouble. Recycle old platforms until they just couldn't compete anymore. Look at the Fox chassis in the Mustang and the F body chassis introduced in 1970 as examples.

The thought of a G37X looking like a bloated walrus just makes my stomach turn. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination to see a 2 ton G in the future. Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend not only of Infiniti, but of Lexus, BMW and Audi. Mercedes has already been there, so nothing is changing for them.

BTW, as an addendum to this, I went last week to Infiniti to look at the G37's at my dealer's lot. They had 5. All were loaded to the gills with options and the highest one was almost $44,000! I asked the salesman about getting a base G37S. He unequivocably said that it would never happen. He said the dealer would never order such an "oddball car". He said they will sell them like this because this is what the market is demanding. After driving away, I thought to myself that I would rather have a Corvette C6 for just a little more coin, than to have a $44,000 G37. Where is the price advantage that Infiniti used to have?
You are speaking of the FR-L Monocoque, correct? I believe you started a thread about that awhile ago, Bill, and I still want to know the answer to that. I think you are right about the beancounters, though. It may be put on the backburner but not completely trashed, you never know.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
G37 AWD coupe that weights 3500pounds that features a 6speed mt and 330 HP/270TQ = that would be hot!

White on black too!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by tekieru
G37 AWD coupe that weights 3500pounds that features a 6speed mt and 330 HP/270TQ = that would be hot!

White on black too!
lol... come back to reality

Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Never! I want that car to exist! please infiniti! Put the GTRs AWD system into the G37! SUP SUP!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM
throw in a dct that made up of titanium and cf, for a total weight gain of 4 lbs... a tt engine (to minimize weight, instead of increased displacement), in a convertible, and you've sold me.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow... I have never reached for the "thread unsubscribe" button so quickly.

You guys are way off reality now.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
i no longer know what reality is anymore...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I Command You: Rise From Your Grave!

I command you, thread!