The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How do i convince parents to let me purchase a G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Oh yeah thats a genoius idea. Go live away from home at 20. Its not going to be a big deal. Your just gonna have to pay rent, pay for gas, electricity, and so much more + car.

Take my advice. If your going to school (college, university), continue to live with your parents (as everyone else usually does). Its going to be such a hassle for a 20 year old to go away from home and do it all by himself when hes going to school (if you are going to school). Like some people said, your 20, you should choose which car to get. If your parents dont support you, then you should still be able to pay for it. Or they can partially pay for it (and you pay the rest).
I agree 100%

Old 05-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Oh yeah thats a genoius idea. Go live away from home at 20. Its not going to be a big deal. Your just gonna have to pay rent, pay for gas, electricity, and so much more + car.

Take my advice. If your going to school (college, university), continue to live with your parents (as everyone else usually does). Its going to be such a hassle for a 20 year old to go away from home and do it all by himself when hes going to school (if you are going to school). Like some people said, your 20, you should choose which car to get. If your parents dont support you, then you should still be able to pay for it. Or they can partially pay for it (and you pay the rest).
What? He's a legal adult. If he's got 10k saved up, then the *responsible* thing to do is to do something with the money. Invest it. Or put it to work as rent, or a down payment on a house. There's *no* reason to burden himself for 3 to 7 years with a car payment. If you think it will be hard for him to leave home now, it will be even harder down the road with the payment of a g.

And it's not as hard as you think. I was making minimum wage with a pregnant wife at 19. We payed rent, food, utilities, car insurance, everything. No help from family.

I dropped out of college after the first year when I found out my wife(fiance at the time) was pregnant. That was 10 years ago. I worked my ***** off, and I'm in the 6 figure area.

I'll turn 30 later this year. One of my good friends from back then just moved out of his parents house two years ago. He got a degree in Biology, and went back for more school after he couldn't get any work. Now he's working as a waiter at a chain restaraunt.

My best friend lives in his grandma's basement in Chicago. He's my age.

My point is I wouldn't have gotten here if I had stayed at home...

Old 05-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And it's not as hard as you think. I was making minimum wage with a pregnant wife at 19. We payed rent, food, utilities, car insurance, everything. No help from family.

I dropped out of college after the first year when I found out my wife(fiance at the time) was pregnant. That was 10 years ago. I worked my ***** off, and I'm in the 6 figure area.
I understand your point, I just dont agree with it. Dont take this wrong and I hope it doesnt sound offensive because thats not what im trying to do but hey, notice a difference between his situation and yours? Im pretty sure no pregnant wife at the time (im assuming) and probably can get help from his parents.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 PM
lazy a$$
You will never going to convince them because G35c looks fast even if it's standing still! (My dad won't even drive mine hehe). Plus they're $15k more than the Camry and they would pay $$$ more on insurance.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:32 PM
lazy a$$
Actually, I wanted a 300zx as my first car but my parents won't let me. So I got a Galant VR-4 instead! They thought it's just another family car.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Just get a sedan. Im sure they will agree with that.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM
i am 20, and i do go to college atm.....

my parents have always had one rule in my household since i am asian...

you get good grades, you benefit

the only reason why they want me to get a new car is because i made deans list this semester.....

as far as moving out and whatever, i did move out of my house with my girlfriend at the age of 18.....it was just hell though i couldnt stand living like that for the rest of my life..

so i asked my parents for advice....i just graduated from hs and was working 2 jobs to support my gf and our living expenses...

i came to the conclusion that the only way id ever be financially responsible for myselff is a college degree....so here i am back in school doing well...

i didnt mean for this to turn out into an argument over oh your 20 go gget a job and live for yourself....

Old 05-24-2006, 08:56 PM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay at home with the folks and keep saving .. screw the car. Its just that.. a car. It will be there (or a better version) when you do start living on your own.
I wish my folks would let me move back in.. haha!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 PM
wow..

20 years old...he should move out?!?! You've got to be kidding me. if you have a family willing and able to still support you, while you are in college...what is the point of moving out? I am 20, turning 21 this weekend and going to be a senior in college. I come home for a few weeks during breaks and in the summer Intern back up at college. To move out would hugely overburden my ability to go to college and gain experience in the summer to give myself a chance at a successful career as an attorney. I plan on going to law school after I graduate and obviously have an appartment, but that won't mean I still won't come home for like weeks here and there. Plus, gotta love the parents paying for the new G and all keep dean's list and near a 4.0 ever semester...keep on drivin the G. some incentive to one day be successful myself i guess.
support your kids!

ps. back on point. my dad had an old 280Z and loved it. so he's reliving his past when he takes mine out for a spin! i'd say look up the safety reports of the car and explain how better brakes, handling and yes, even HP (when you need to move quickly out of a bad oncoming situation) make a car more safe and therefore better to drive. Then take them to look at the G. THey should also fall in love with it. With 1 or 2 G down, you could lease it for a few years for not too too high $$ a month, esp when they are trying to move them off the lot. good luck

Last edited by 06BLACKMT; 05-24-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
after an hour of working my convincing skills, they finally gave in...

i really rubbed in their face that i am really trying to do something with my life...the deans list speaks for itself and the responsibility that came with it...

so they agreed to pay for half of a car of my choice and insurance...

well the car has to be at max around 35k...

now one more thing on my mind is, how the hell do i learn how to drive stick shift...ive been dying to learn, i live in southern california so everyone here drives an auto, i have nobody to learn from.

oh and between the g35, 350z, and the s2000....which car is the one with the best features?? i could care less about performance , as long as its decently fast.......i just want a sick looking ride with good interior and functionality...although i have always wanted a convertible

Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Well the deciding factor for me between the G35 and 350Z was easy for me... I couldnt see myself having a car without a back seat, regardless of how small it was... That right there eliminated the 350Z. I like the luxury of the G, plus I know nothing about an s2000... but considering you posted on a G35 message board - I can make a pretty good guess on which ride will be the popular pick... wasnt it all about the G to begin with at the start of this thread???

Good luck with what you choose. It seems to make all the difference in the world now, but if you take a step back and look at the situation again - its just a car. Its NOT by any stretch of the imagination an investment, and you will NEVER get your money back out of it... So I personally think the most important thing is to live below your means and dont spread yourself too thin...
Damn I sound like a parent....

Good luck though!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
is ur dad into cars? show the car to jus ur dad... let ur dad test drive it and show him all the accessories that the car has to offer. if u can get ur dad on ur side then ur set!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
let your parents test drive the car with you. i chose the g35 because of the back seat like someone else mentioned. as for the age, enjoy the luxuries of parents while you still can. he wants the coupe and if you feel you're responsible enough, then go ahead.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Real_G
Stay at home with the folks and keep saving .. screw the car. Its just that.. a car. It will be there (or a better version) when you do start living on your own.
I wish my folks would let me move back in.. haha!
+1 . . . Concentrate on your education and do not create needs for yourself. Do what you need to do now and later . . . You will be in a better position to do as you wish.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Why do you have the options of a 350z and a s2000 if they dont want you to have a sports car?

Right when they see the 350z and the s2000 they will know you are going to race because its attracts the sport look. Stay with the G....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do i convince parents to let me purchase a G35?