The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How do i convince parents to let me purchase a G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:40 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KancerStick
i am 20, and i do go to college atm.....

my parents have always had one rule in my household since i am asian...

you get good grades, you benefit
my parents are asian and i didn't have those perks...

Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can handle the downpayment and the monthly payments. I'm sure you can knock out the insurance, so why do you need to convince your parents to let you buy the car? It's nice and all that they want to buy you a car, but if it's not what you want, then buy it yourself. I personally feel my parents would be more proud of me if I can go out and buy my own stuff.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And it's not as hard as you think. I was making minimum wage with a pregnant wife at 19. We payed rent, food, utilities, car insurance, everything. No help from family.

Well it depends on which part of the country you live in. When I was in SC I had a two bed, two bath apartment with large eat in kitchen, living room, and laundry room. It was only $800 dollars a month. That same apartment in New Jersey would be about $1800 a month. I'm not sure where this person lives, but it might not be feasible to move out yet.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:34 PM
get a G dude, where in so cal are ya. . .

Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
If you're going to be in debt over a car don't do it. Just find a better job and save for 2 years. I owned a G35 6MT free and clear when I was 22.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Where in So. Cal do you live? Want to buy a old $500-$600 manual beater car w/me to learn manual? LOL. I want to purchase the 2007 G35 Sedan 6MT but I've only practiced manual once and I would like to practice it as much as possible before I get a new manual car.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
For your situation, 35k from the 'rents on a car is np. Get a G for 37k. Put 2k of your money to bring it down to 35k. Take the rest of the money and put it into a retirement account. The earlier you start, the better. I've only started my 401k 2 years ago and I already have 20k saved up from my contributions, work matching and the interest accrued with hardly a dent in my net income.

Hell. Put 4k into a traditional IRA and get a tax deduction for the year and put the other 4k into a roth IRA and get tax free interest. You're only 20 and have plenty of time to save up some more money for rims and stereo and a new car.

The way I see it, you are in about the BEST situation you can be with regards to living. Parents will give you the car. You're doing well in school. You have $10k saved up. If you're smart and make your money work for you by investing it now, in about 10 years, you'll put yourself in a situation where you won't be driving the G anymore but you'll be driving a Porsche.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Too f'n funny. A 20 year old has to ask Mommy and Daddy what car he can have, then has to ask for money to buy and afford it.

What's this world coming to? LMFAO.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
LOL take the money and move out...unless you're going to school and still living at home...then keep saving it or buy something more economical so you don't take a huge financial hit when you DO move into your own place. If you're not going to school, you NEED to be going to school. You won't have a lifetime of enjoying nice vehicles and the finer things in life without the proper education. I know you've heard it before but its the truth.

As long as I was living at home and working at my degree my parents paid my car insurance (until UofA graduation). All that while I was entrusted with making my own vehicle buying/payment/fuel/repair costs. After I moved out and had to start paying for EVERYTHING myself...I'd wished I had not purchased a brand new 1998 Honda Prelude 2 months prior to graduation. But I stuck it out and lived lean for a while

Old 05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Too f'n funny. A 20 year old has to ask Mommy and Daddy what car he can have, then has to ask for money to buy and afford it.

What's this world coming to? LMFAO.
Eh. It's just differences in culture. Funny to the white man but normal to the hispanics and asians.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
It's not that hard...
Go get a job, save up a decent down payment, and pay a decent monthly fee which you can afford.
The satisfaction of driving your own car for which you pay for is unlike any other.
I just got my 06 Sedan at the age of 19 and have been paying it off for two months already. Have another strong 40 months ahead

Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 PM
man if I lived with my folks id be driving a damn ferrari!

guys you have to remember that when your young your priorities are *** backwards. i say sty with the folks, put a down payment if thats what you want and go for it! you only live once bro.

insurance seems to be the only concern with your parents because it costs $$$. a new camery has just as much power as a G35, but its a four door and costs alot less on insurance.

i say offer to pay insurance and be done with it. or at the very least have them pay the amount it would cost for a camery and pay the rest on the insurance.

that sounds like a reasonable compromise. the key is to find a good compromise and always remeber that its all about money when it comes to parents.

thats why my folks kicked me out at 19! haha

Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what ever happen to a good honda civic? the new si's are nice and so are a whole slew of other less expensive cars. i swear ... in a few years ... these same threads will be popping up on porsche forums as well.

"i don't understand why my parents won't get me a porsche carerra... i mean i have money for gas, i'm on the dean's list and get straight a's in my basket-weaving courses... why? why?! WHY?!!"

many of u should be kissing your parents asses each morning... on the bare cheeks for what they put up with and give u. it always amazes me how little reasoning and comprehension many younger students (99.99% males) have these days when it comes to finances and responsibility... and please stop preaching how many of u can afford the car. the day u can support yourself, a place to live in, the utilities, the cost of going to school, your expensive g/f, gas, insurance, and the payments for the car... is the day u can post that ****.

i apologize for the rant in advance... it's early, i haven't gotten my coffee... and these discussions are getting somewhat silly and tiresome.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
what ever happen to a good honda civic? the new si's are nice and so are a whole slew of other less expensive cars. i swear ... in a few years ... these same threads will be popping up on porsche forums as well.

"i don't understand why my parents won't get me a porsche carerra... i mean i have money for gas, i'm on the dean's list and get straight a's in my basket-weaving courses... why? why?! WHY?!!"

many of u should be kissing your parents asses each morning... on the bare cheeks for what they put up with and give u. it always amazes me how little reasoning and comprehension many younger students (99.99% males) have these days when it comes to finances and responsibility... and please stop preaching how many of u can afford the car. the day u can support yourself, a place to live in, the utilities, the cost of going to school, your expensive g/f, gas, insurance, and the payments for the car... is the day u can post that ****.

i apologize for the rant in advance... it's early, i haven't gotten my coffee... and these discussions are getting somewhat silly and tiresome.
Well put, I agree.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
this guy sounds exactly like the guy that lives near me, except i don't think he's getting his G.

but yeah you can find a 05 G used for well under 35 with low miles, just have to shop around and look for the best prices.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do i convince parents to let me purchase a G35?