The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How do i convince parents to let me purchase a G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
what ever happen to a good honda civic? the new si's are nice and so are a whole slew of other less expensive cars. i swear ... in a few years ... these same threads will be popping up on porsche forums as well.

"i don't understand why my parents won't get me a porsche carerra... i mean i have money for gas, i'm on the dean's list and get straight a's in my basket-weaving courses... why? why?! WHY?!!"

many of u should be kissing your parents asses each morning... on the bare cheeks for what they put up with and give u. it always amazes me how little reasoning and comprehension many younger students (99.99% males) have these days when it comes to finances and responsibility... and please stop preaching how many of u can afford the car. the day u can support yourself, a place to live in, the utilities, the cost of going to school, your expensive g/f, gas, insurance, and the payments for the car... is the day u can post that ****.

i apologize for the rant in advance... it's early, i haven't gotten my coffee... and these discussions are getting somewhat silly and tiresome.

I wish this would fit on a bumper sticker.

The starter of this thread has probably moved past this topic by now, but at 20 with $10K and a desire for a car, why not save some money and look for a car with character like an early 90's Subaru SVX (4 windows for the price of 2!) or an 80's Supra that has been taken care of. There are some great older cars out there that will still garner respect. The money you save can be set aside or go towards mods.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/huck369/8141.JPG
http://www.ma70.com/danmac/niceshot.jpg

Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Youve got $10K? Tell you parents "great news". I wont buy the car, but I need you to give me an additional $10k to go out and buy a small condo. They'll see that as an investment, and you'll be earning real estate appreciation pretty quickly. And, you can borrow against the condo to still get your car.

You're 20 and living with Mom and Dad, and maybe college too?. Get your life in order, then get the car. Your impatience and emotional obsession to have a cool car no matter what the REAL cost to you will cause you additional years of working and saving to finally afford your own place.. or are you planning to take your girlfriends home to your folks place for the next decade? Which is more important, a new car or a new life with a plan?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
You'll be sharing the car? Are you still living at home? At 20?

Dude, take that money, and go live on your own.
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Not if he wants money from Mommy and Daddy.

Dude, at age 20 you should be out of the house with your own J-O-B. WTF?
Too f'n funny. A 20 year old has to ask Mommy and Daddy what car he can have, then has to ask for money to buy and afford it.

What's this world coming to? LMFAO.
Agree 100% with you both.

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Oh yeah thats a genoius idea. Go live away from home at 20. Its not going to be a big deal. Your just gonna have to pay rent, pay for gas, electricity, and so much more + car.

Take my advice. If your going to school (college, university), continue to live with your parents (as everyone else usually does). Its going to be such a hassle for a 20 year old to go away from home and do it all by himself when hes going to school (if you are going to school). Like some people said, your 20, you should choose which car to get. If your parents dont support you, then you should still be able to pay for it. Or they can partially pay for it (and you pay the rest).
1. "As everyone else usually does"? I dont personally know anyone that was living with their parents at the age of 20 that grew up to be successful at anything other than waiting tables. I moved out at 17, paid for my own college degree, and now Im well into 6 figures. Not saying that to brag, just to show that it can be done, and its not that hard. Dont encourage his dependancy on others just because americans are too lazy to support themselves these days. Its harsh, but the truth hurts.
2. If his parents are paying for it, even if just part, then he doesn't get to "choose which car to get" unless he is paying for all of it himself. You are confusing rights with priveledges. wow, I sound like my parents.

alright, flame away kids!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are youi trying to buy new???? If not I'd go with a used G...Drop 10 on it and you payments would be much lower. You may be able to pay your own insurance after that.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM
If you are paying the entire cost yourself (including insurance) then you should get what it is you want - it's your money. There has been a lot of good advise here though and you may consider paying attention to some of it. The only thing I may add is before you put your money down take a guided tour through an auto wreckers and check out the fatality cars. t's a real eye opener and yes, it can happen to you.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Too f'n funny. A 20 year old has to ask Mommy and Daddy what car he can have, then has to ask for money to buy and afford it.

What's this world coming to? LMFAO.

I would have to agreee this is a poor response. Most 20 year olds do not have the financial means or maturity to make such a move. In the end, they often times set themselves back further because they wanted that "independence". Stay in school, stay at home, and if your parents are willing to support you in every way you said - consider yourself extremely fortunate.

I am in a very similar situation to you man - I am 22, did well in school and parents bought my G as a graduation gift (just graduated college in May). They were also extremely apprehensive for all of the same reasons, safety, speed, insurance, etc. However, I worked hard, secured a great job for myself a year prior to graduation and proved that I could be responsible. I could have made the payments myself but they insisted on purchasing the car for me. I only pay my insurance and the obvious maintenance/issues that arise.

STAY HOME. If they are willing to pay at least half for the car thats GREAT. DO NOT MOVE OUT. At 20 years old - there is no shame in having parents to help support you with school and your finances. Now if you were 30...well thats another story...

Go with the G...not as fast at the S2000 but bigger and much more comfortable...S2000 is also getting pretty old.

350Z - No back seat and a lot less luxury. Marginally faster but not as attractive IMO.

Good luck and don't let other folks pressure you or make you feel bad for having (what seem like) great parents.

-J

Old 06-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by chasman
Youve got $10K? Tell you parents "great news". I wont buy the car, but I need you to give me an additional $10k to go out and buy a small condo. They'll see that as an investment, and you'll be earning real estate appreciation pretty quickly. And, you can borrow against the condo to still get your car.

You're 20 and living with Mom and Dad, and maybe college too?. Get your life in order, then get the car. Your impatience and emotional obsession to have a cool car no matter what the REAL cost to you will cause you additional years of working and saving to finally afford your own place.. or are you planning to take your girlfriends home to your folks place for the next decade? Which is more important, a new car or a new life with a plan?

^^^^ +10 on that one. Great point...and the truth is MOST people who leave the house at 16 and 17 do not become success stories, do not pay for their own college, and do not achieve 6 figure salaries - many fall on their face or fall by the wayside. There may be some exceptions on this forum but MOST kids that age do not have the maturity or foresight to map out their futures without parental/family support and guidance.

Lets get real here - many people who have been able to overcome these circumstances and do it all alone with absolutely no help at all. Then they assume that if they can do it, anyone can. False and also poor advice for an eager college student looking for the instant gratification of owning a new sports car - all at the cost of putting himself in debt and having to pay for the car 5 years down the road...does that really make sense?

Last edited by JBKFizzle45; 06-09-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Not if he wants money from Mommy and Daddy.

Dude, at age 20 you should be out of the house with your own J-O-B. WTF?

Sedans are tasty and you get all the performance of the coupe (and more) - they might respond better to a sedan if you don't tell them they're just as fast (or faster...)..
dude whats the point of moving out of his house hes ONLY 20 why move out and have to pay for a million things? its not worth it stay at home till u at least graduate.