The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Shifting Techniques Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
I'm going to go ahead and *jump* on this train.

I honestly SUCK at shifting and need some advise as well.

I feel like when I go from first to second the shift is so fast that the car doesn't gain enough momentum and I'm getting dusted by camry's beside
me at the light that aren't even trying to race, b/c we are in traffic. Not that I'm racing either, but I'm not getting that "HARD PULL" of Torgue that I would expect.

I have to shift from first to second so quickly compared to the other gears.

Like for instance, from second to third, the RPM's don't jump so extremely fast and they slowly *PULL*/Torque, and I can get up and go until I need to shift to the next gear.

1st gear is like pointless. It gets me from 0mph to 2mph before I hit 4,500rpm
and have to shift. HA!

I MUST MUST MUST, be doing something terribly wrong guys...I don't know. It's frustrating when I get in a 03' or 04' sedan AT loaner from the dealership and it hails tons of @ss on the fly. I'm thinking, me in this sedan vs. me in the 6mt, is not contest.

I must not be fit for a MT?

Any .02's and/or advice would be much appreciated fellas!

Thanks,
-WoW

P.s. What's this talk of MREV2? I briefly read that it's from the AT, and the AT has more torque. I must have read that wrong, b/c I thought the AT's had less Torque rating than the 6MT? Oh yeah, and I think they said it was a SEDAN AT and not a Coupe AT...???
I've been driving stick for 12 years now. Believe me... I find the G35 the hardest car to shift from 1st to 2nd!!!!!! So, don't feel bad!!! You're not alone man! I do extremely fine when shifting other gears... but shifting from 1 -2 when trying to have a fast take-off can sometimes be hard
!!!!