The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Well since my last post about 2 months ago, I went to the dealer and demanded for them to change my engine since it already failed once... I came back 1200 miles later and it failed again... Now they are telling that why am I coming now 2 complain about the OC when I got the car 30,000 miles ago (for the record my car now has 57k miles). So they are still giving me that BS about its probably the 1st owners fault for poor maintenance.... I dont know what to do.

Does anyone know what the consequences can be in the long run for the engine oil consumption? And I wonder where does all that oil go? Cuz I'm burning a quart every 1k miles or even 1.5 quarts if I push it a lot.

Appreciate any help.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Zioxx
Well since my last post about 2 months ago, I went to the dealer and demanded for them to change my engine since it already failed once... I came back 1200 miles later and it failed again... Now they are telling that why am I coming now 2 complain about the OC when I got the car 30,000 miles ago (for the record my car now has 57k miles). So they are still giving me that BS about its probably the 1st owners fault for poor maintenance.... I dont know what to do.

Does anyone know what the consequences can be in the long run for the engine oil consumption? And I wonder where does all that oil go? Cuz I'm burning a quart every 1k miles or even 1.5 quarts if I push it a lot.

Appreciate any help.
A. They agreed to test the motor by doing an oil consumption test.
B. They should follow the TSB exactly as it is written no questions asked. If there is an issue to the policy, ask to see it in official writing before walking out of the dealer.
C. You should keep your wits about yourself and threaten to call your Nissan/Infiniti Corporate, the BBB and your lawyer for the stuff they're trying to pull.

I hope I can keep it together when it's my turn. I'm still up in the air about getting a new motor. It's not even a guaranteed fix and more stuff can go wrong despite an engine swap. I'm more into busting some chops at the moment.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by VQdriver
B. They should follow the TSB exactly as it is written no questions asked. If there is an issue to the policy, ask to see it in official writing before walking out of the dealer.
^^The TSB can be found on here somewhwere, print it out and take it to the dealership with you.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Im going back for my 2nd check tomorrow... hopefully I FAIL, 1mm away from failing the 1st time.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by VQdriver
A. They agreed to test the motor by doing an oil consumption test.
C. You should keep your wits about yourself and threaten to call your Nissan/Infiniti Corporate, the BBB and your lawyer for the stuff they're trying to pull.

I hope I can keep it together when it's my turn. I'm still up in the air about getting a new motor. It's not even a guaranteed fix and more stuff can go wrong despite an engine swap. I'm more into busting some chops at the moment.

Like you said its not even a guaranteed fix. So im willing to just live with it as long as the motor doesn't blow or something. Does anyone know what might happen 2 the motor in the long run? If its bad then I'll keep fighting 4 the new motor because I dont wanna fork out 3grand for a new motor later on.

Thanx 4 all the help.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This oil consumption thing sucks. Drive the car until it shows it has a problem that can be repeated. But if your in the middle of nowhere and the engine is knocking and the oil light is on ... dont fill it we wont know if there was a problem. Thanks, I see a For Sale sign in my future. I had the same luxury car experience with my pick up in high school.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 AM
everything
Originally Posted by Zioxx
Like you said its not even a guaranteed fix. So im willing to just live with it as long as the motor doesn't blow or something. Does anyone know what might happen 2 the motor in the long run? If its bad then I'll keep fighting 4 the new motor because I dont wanna fork out 3grand for a new motor later on.

Thanx 4 all the help.
Just live with it? Infiniti will possibly give you a new block. Dont know about you but Id rather take a new block than wait for a oil burning time bomb to go off.... Maybe you have money to burn and you like adding 2-3 quarts of synthetic oil between changes....

Originally Posted by izzueeek
Just drain a litre before you go back.
Not too smart. Real good if Infinti Customer Affairs(or anyone who has ties to Infiniti) monitors G35 forums looking for idiots who say they drain their oil in order to fail. Mine is burning on its own, Ill let it take its course and get the engine block the legit way.

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 12-02-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Just live with it? Infiniti will possibly give you a new block. Dont know about you but Id rather take a new block than wait for a oil burning time bomb to go off.... Maybe you have money to burn and you like adding 2-3 quarts of synthetic oil between changes....
Trust me I dont have money 2 burn lol but thats the only solution I have so my engine won't blow 4 not having oil... I guess I'll try with the dealer one more time. Hope it works this time.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 PM
everything
Just got back from the dealership... I FAILED. They are ordering me a new block tomorrow. Hopefully have it at the dealership early next week and bringing the car back down for the swap.

Contemplating whether or not I should get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel as long as theyre tearing it all down....

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 12-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm glad your dealership is going 2 swap your engine... Did you buy your car used? How many miles do you have on your car?

I might try a new dealer.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
everything
I bought it used from a small dealership (not an Infiniti dealership) Car had 47k when I bought it, now has 69,3XX

If there are dealerships close, try several. The closest one to me is 2 hours away so Im kinda stuck gong to that one. Luckily they honored the TSB to the "T"

Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
How many miles did u drive before you go back? Did u drive hard before u went back?

I bought it used from a small dealership (not an Infiniti dealership) Car had 47k when I bought it, now has 69,3XX

If there are dealerships close, try several. The closest one to me is 2 hours away so Im kinda stuck gong to that one. Luckily they honored the TSB to the "T"

Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
everything
Went back in 1000 miles after they changed the oil and started the testing, 1mm away from failing. Went back at 2000 miles and failed.

Didnt drive super hard, but I like to think I have a lead foot at all times. It was burning pretty bad before I decided to go in for testing anyways.

Just got a call from the dealership last night, Infiniti approved the motor and it should be here today or tomorrow

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh thats good. One more thing, when you went back the first time and didn't fail the test. Did they tell you to drive another 1000mile and do the test again? Or did you request them to do another test.

Went back in 1000 miles after they changed the oil and started the testing, 1mm away from failing. Went back at 2000 miles and failed.

Didnt drive super hard, but I like to think I have a lead foot at all times. It was burning pretty bad before I decided to go in for testing anyways.

Just got a call from the dealership last night, Infiniti approved the motor and it should be here today or tomorrow

Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
everything
Originally Posted by izzueeek
Oh thats good. One more thing, when you went back the first time and didn't fail the test. Did they tell you to drive another 1000mile and do the test again? Or did you request them to do another test.
They just told me to come back at 2000 miles, I didnt have to ask or say anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!