The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Ever drop something between the seat and console?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever drop something between the seat and console?

About a month ago, I dropped a folding pocket knife between the driver's seat and center console when the knife fell out of a bag. It took about 20 minutes of trying and bloody knuckles to get the damn thing out. I tried sliding the seat forward, backward, and everywhere in between. Today I dropped a cap from a water bottle in the same spot. I didn't even bother going in after it. At this point I'm just planning to leave it there and just casually mention to the dude at the car wash that he might want to grab the cap that's down there. I know it's a minor inconvenience, but short of some kind of hook and pulley system does anyone know of an easy way to get crap out of that narrow space next to the seat?

The following users liked this post:
is brando (08-27-2019)
Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
i dropped a quarter down there once. i needed it for the parking meter. til this day i still have yet to see it.

is brando (08-27-2019)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
That spot is also known as the abyss. If you plan to retrieve anything in there you will need to tie a rope around your waist and tie the other end to the steering wheel.

Otherwise, its treasure for the next driver.

is brando (08-27-2019)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Lexus IS350
Just gotta play with the seat. Move it forward and backwards and rip apart the car. I dont have a single penny loose in my car. Whenever I drop anything, Im always sure to get it out ASAP. It bothers me to have extra, unnecessary junk in the car. GL

Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 AM
I dropped my phone down there "it's a 3125 and about the same size as a razr"...took me an hour to get it out

Old 11-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yup, that sucks. I've got a pen, few coins, cigarette, lighter, french fries, down there right now. One day I'll pull the seat to get everything out.

but I've got a tip for you if it's important and you need to get something out use a pickup tool, you can get it at sears in the automotive tool section. it looks like a long spring with a 4 prong claw at the end, you push on the handle at one end and the claw opens up, release the handle and the claw closes. it's around 18" long so you can get into hard to reach places.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
We call that the black hole around our house . My wife is constantly dropping little things like crochet hooks, knitting needles etc., into this land of never return. I have a piece of coat hanger that I bent a small hook at the end, and I also have a telescopic pencil type magnet that will extend to about 12 inches. If these don't work, the item either stays or the seat comes out .

Old 11-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
but I've got a tip for you if it's important and you need to get something out use a pickup tool, you can get it at sears in the automotive tool section. it looks like a long spring with a 4 prong claw at the end, you push on the handle at one end and the claw opens up, release the handle and the claw closes. it's around 18" long so you can get into hard to reach places.
Good idea, I completely forgot about those, I always had one in my toolbox at work.
Here is a few of them from Snap-on Tools.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

Attached Thumbnails Ever drop something between the seat and console?-pick-up-tool.jpg  

Last edited by GEE35FX; 11-23-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dropped my keys down there one time. Did the moving seat forward bit to try to get at it from the rear. Unfortunately, in the process I destroyed my Infiniti keyring, and half broke my key remote. The motor slowed down when destroying it. (I ended up ordering a replacement on eBay, since I didn't expect it to hold up long after this. The part that clips onto the ring broke on one side).

Old 11-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Premier Member

I lost a thin lighter down there once, it completely vanished for a couple of months.

The way I clean my truck is to open both doors, take the leaf blower and blast every thing out the other side. It is about time to try this on the G seats and the rear deck.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a gobbstopper.. still there

Old 11-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Man, I hate that gap between the seat and the console. I've lost coins, pens, candy, even a bracelet. I've moved the seat every which way and I still can't find any of it! How is this possible? I'm beginning to think there's a hole in the floor and it falls out onto the road! I hang onto my keys for dear life 'cause I sure don't want to drop those in there. I'm going to have to try one of those pickup tools and see if that works.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Be careful when moving the seat back and forth. When I first got the car I crushed my Razr down there.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 AM
I dropped pen down there before. Found a quarter down there in the process of retrieving my pen. Arm was scratched up in the process.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by togee
Man, I hate that gap between the seat and the console. I've lost coins, pens, candy, even a bracelet. I've moved the seat every which way and I still can't find any of it! How is this possible? I'm beginning to think there's a hole in the floor and it falls out onto the road! I hang onto my keys for dear life 'cause I sure don't want to drop those in there. I'm going to have to try one of those pickup tools and see if that works.
Like I said earlier it's a Black Hole (definition: What is a black hole?
A black hole is a region of spacetime from which nothing can escape, even light.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ever drop something between the seat and console?