The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

My comments about the 2003 G35 nav system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My comments about the 2003 G35 nav system

Two weeks ago I flew out to AZ from Boston to pick up my G35 and then drove a little over 3000 miles home (detoured to the grand canyon). I used the nav system the entire distance and it left me pretty frustrated at times. My comments:

First thing I did before I left AZ was update the nav software to version 6.5.

- Cannot see points of interest unless you are zoomed way in. This makes it pointless to use the nav when I'm driving down the highway in the middle of the night and am looking for a hotel or gas. I'd have to zoom way in and then pan the screen forever trying to find one.

- Not being able to enter specific destinations while moving sucks. I have a passenger, just include in the disclaimer on start up that if I use it while moving, I'm responsible. Actually I think that's exactly what it says already, so WHY DISABLE it?

- In night mode, white text on grey background is difficult to read. Why wouldn't they just put black on grey since the idea of that mode is to use dark colors to preserve night vision?

- Doesn't display speed. Yeah I have a speedo, but it's not as accurate as a GPS, especially when I'm being followed by a nosy cop and I want to make sure I'm doing the exact speed limit.

- So far since the update, I have not been able to enter any address other than one in the state of CA. If I try to change the state, it tells me no other states are available (though clearly the data is there). I may need to reload the software, this makes no sense to me.

- Doesn't compute time to destination based on your actual speed.

- Cant set the average cruising speed for the highway setting above 75 (or was it 70?) - I am assuming is uses this setting to help determine fastest routes (as well as time to destination).

- Worst of all.... the routes!! It did fine from AZ to OH, but once I got to the northeast, what a mess. This thing likes to take me off highways and route me down back roads. Going from Terre Haute, IN to Boston, it wanted to route me up along the Great Lakes instead of across PA (100 miles shorter). Then from PA to NY I was an idiot and followed the directions, when it took me off the highway and dumped me into a small town and routed me through the mountains of NY, it was too late to go back. I was stuck for 3 hours at night driving through small towns, avoiding deer (seriously), and hoping some podunk sheriff didn't see the AZ plates on the car and want to pull me over where I'd once again have to explain why I had someone elses plates on the car while they ran a stolen vehicle check (this happened in OH). As a final test, I dropped my friend off at Logan Airport in Boston and then needed to get to 93 north. Everyone knows you take Route 1S to 93N. This thing wanted me to take 16S which parallels route 1, except instead of doing 60-70mph down 1, you do 25-35 and stop at probably a dozen stop lights. ARGGGHHH!!!!!!

- Screen resolution sucks - my Windows Mobile based cell phone has a higher resolution on its 2"x2" screen and its built in GPS and Navigon|NM5 software are better in every way (but I was using the GPS on the phone to transmit my realtime speed and location over the net so friends and family could watch our trip home).

I'm sure I'll have more to add as I remember other issues.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:30 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
do you buy the cd ripped of the real thing.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was sad my car didnt have nav, but after reading that i am glad i dont have that piece of crap

Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
My G35 > Your Life
i dont think its that bad, but then again its my first car with navigation, so what do i know.

I like it

Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 PM
its good if you just use it as a map, but if I rely on it it makes me pass every road

Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I've never had a car with nav either, but I've owned a GPS since 2000 and have several since then. What this nav system is good for as far as I'm concerned is perhaps finding an address when you're already in the general area. My wife gets things from freecycle all the time and it's handy to get to someone's house by plugging in the address (I already used my phone (Windows Mobile 2003SE based HP 6515) for this, but the nav system is more convenient)).

I would definitely never rely on it again to take me distances to someplace I'm not familiar with. I was cocky thinking I could rely on technology and didn't bring a map for a 3000 mile drive. That was pretty stupid and cost me an extra night in a hotel. I had a laptop with me with cellular based internet as well but it was too much of a PITA to connect the phone to it to use google maps. Live and learn.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the nav system for over 2 years in the G35 and if you live in a big metro area, its the best thing in the world. I absolutely LOVE it...especially in Los Angeles. It really works well in so-cal. However, I would buy a rand-mcnally map for long distance travel.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Press the Route(?) button while driving, and you get a popup where you can see nearby gas stations and hotels. Once you choose one, it will be added as a waypoint.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:42 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I never thought the nav wsa bad I love it

Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 AM
G is my first car with OEM navi, then i drove my parents RDX, now i hate my navi for same reasons which you posted.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Coupe
so far, the only thing i don't like about it is ... its lack of keeping up with my car. I could be passing the damn streen and driving for 5 seconds after it and it GPS telling me TAKE RIGHT. So yea, not 2happy about it (specially for 1500...or was it 2K option). $300 aftermarket portable GPS has more options/better drive assist.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by kevink
Press the Route(?) button while driving, and you get a popup where you can see nearby gas stations and hotels. Once you choose one, it will be added as a waypoint.
Ah!! Good tip, wish I knew about it during my trip . Thanks.
and re: RDX nav, yeah, Acura has the reputation of having the best nav in the business.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do i change my home address on the nav?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
I hate mine and never use it. Kinda wish I didn't have so I could throw a boost gauge in the cubby. The Interface is too primitive, clumsy and time consuming seeing how it is not touch screen. I use my Garmin when I need NAV.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
I like mine and it takes some getting used to.
I still carry my Garmin and let the wife input an address when needed while driving.

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My comments about the 2003 G35 nav system