The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Horrible Fever WRX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also never heard anyonec all the G35 ricer, unless it was riced out by the owner.

The only thing im confused about is the fact that you're looking to chose between a G35 and an STi; Both of these car's are in such different markets. I understand buyinh both, one as your daily driver and the other as your "Fun" car. But to cross-market between both of these is odd.
Shouldn't use the term ricer i know. But maybe tuner cars is a better term. The G35 is one of the most common tuner cars there is from the asian market. The 2 cars are in the same price range so that is why I am having trouble deciding between the 2.

Gee wrote:
I think the only reason you don't see more street racing bull$hit here is because the moderators aren't as tolerant of it. I'm very appreciative of that, although most aren't.
Whut's with the street racer off topic rant. I like to go to the track and play in a car. I like to participate in road rally's.

gee wrote:
I equate it to the mindset of the people behind the wheel.

I say again, the MAN makes the car, not the other way around. I know people (and I bet you do too) that own cars that will absolutely destroy a G35 who never act a fool on the street or worry about some teenage clown 'revving' at them (Oh god, someone revved at me! Let me whip out my tiny dick and defend myself.. )

Explain that one please, and we'll call it a day.
You are too uptight. Man why don't you buy a hybrid vehicle or just take a bus. You bought a luxury sports car and then bitch about people enjoying them. You don't need to be racing endangering the public, but enjoying your car once an awhile is what its all about. How interesting would this forum be if you took performance out of the equation?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
hwa
Think about what your preferences based on your age and personality. The STi is no doubt a thrill ride and something you can be riding for years to come. Like the G, it carries a pretty hefty price tag and you take a hit when you trade in any car. Doing the switch from a G to an STi will also sacrifice the "luxury sport" moniker. I don't speak in terms of physical comfort, but rather branding. If you plan on entering the professional work industry in a couple years (or are in one now), it might be worth considering whether you want to have a more "refined" ride than the STi. I remember when I was 19, I was set on modding my car out with a throatier exhuast/intake/etc and investing in a turbo (had an IS300 at the time). In retrospect, I think I would have regretted going down that route as my tastes have evolved since then. This isn't meant to dissuade you from your thoughts. Just another angle you can consider.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Good reply HWA. Well written. I'm a successful doctor, I currently am an owner of the cities largest hospital group... Maybe I should try to change the stereotype of a typical STi owner and when the new GTR comes out I'll get that too.

Man reading you comments about street racers etc and having the attitude that g drivers are such refined upper class people is kinda funny when you look back at the legacy of the Skylines that started it all. I guess when the neutered version of the skyline was brought to the US, it also brought out a lot of neutered yuppie drivers. If I had the dough i would buy a twin turbo AWD skyline in a heartbeat over the STI. Regardless of the dominant street tuner image it carries.

So to end the street racer aspect of the debate. Should I buy the STI OR keep my americanized, neutered, slow version of the ultimate ricer/euro/street racer tuner the G35...and try to restore some dignity to it with FI?

Last edited by r6chiro; 01-26-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
skaterbasist and GeeWillikers made some fine points...awesome debate! lol

I think its tough to get a truly objective opinion from this forum. We're kinda biased cause we own G's, talk about G's, modify...etc. etc. I wouldn't trade my G in for anything else! (well...maybe the new GT-R...but I digress )

If you got that urge to get a STI...just do it, you've made good enough explaination why the car would work for you...modifications, performance, etc. My guess is that you're fishing for some possible glaring oversite/weakness in the STI that would make it a deal breaker. The only issue I see is comparing it to the G; thats like apples to oranges.

At least in my neck of the woods, I've been seeing the growing trend of VIP Style. Luxury-end cars with performance mods but classy styling. The G follows into that category. STI is well...you get the picture. Depends on where you are in your life and what are you looking for.

However...not to be completely off base here...if you're a doctor...why don't you just have both?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Ku wrote:
If you got that urge to get a STI...just do it, you've made good enough explaination why the car would work for you...modifications, performance, etc. My guess is that you're fishing for some possible glaring oversite/weakness in the STI that would make it a deal breaker.
That pretty much sums up the reason for my question. That and to confirm what I already knew about other peoples opinions of the car. Cars are terrible investments and I'm trying to live absolutely as close to debt free as possible so that is why I don't want both or even a more expensive car, i.e. the Audi RS-4. The M3 was my other real consideration but I can't live with 2 wheel drive and still snowboard as much as I love to.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Why not FI an X? Best of both worlds.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by r6chiro
That pretty much sums up the reason for my question. That and to confirm what I already knew about other peoples opinions of the car. Cars are terrible investments and I'm trying to live absolutely as close to debt free as possible so that is why I don't want both or even a more expensive car, i.e. the Audi RS-4. The M3 was my other real consideration but I can't live with 2 wheel drive and still snowboard as much as I love to.
Then I believe you pretty much have your answer there...looks like the G is going on the selling block! *small tear*

BTW...if you plan to part out your G...let me know! lol

Old 01-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If you want a STI then go for it. The car doesn't define who you are and don't let anyone try to either. Just because you mod one, doesn't mean you have to go off the deep end and sticker it out all etc... There are great mods for the STI. In fact, I've seen some w/o the hugeO wing. Stealthy.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Great posts guys. Thanks for all the opinions. I think I'm gonna do the STI and no doubt i be back when the new G has been out for awhile likely on '09. IMO the G35 is still one of the most beautiful cars out there. It is funny I posted this question on 2 other "non-car" forums and everyone voted without hesitation for the STI. Maybe its a younger crowd?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Great posts guys. Thanks for all the opinions. I think I'm gonna do the STI and no doubt i be back when the new G has been out for awhile likely on '09. IMO the G35 is still one of the most beautiful cars out there. It is funny I posted this question on 2 other "non-car" forums and everyone voted without hesitation for the STI. Maybe its a younger crowd?
I was reading along a thread created in an STi forum, and many seem to jump from an STi to a G35, not the other way around. They seem to get tired off the ride quality and poor image, and decide to go "Higher Class".

But in your case, it makes sense. Your gonna get the best of both worlds. You have the G and your [soon to be] STi. So when you tired from one, you go to the other

If you have the money, I say go for the Next G35 Coupe when it comes out (like you stated). If the rumor is true, the next Coupe will get the 3.7 Litter HR Engine (VQ37HR) which will be the same as the GT-R's minus the turbo. Just slap a pair of turbo's and youll get the good looks with killer performance (So far all speculation ofcourse).

Good luck with the STi and have fun

Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Red Card Crew

And no warranty whatsoever.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
And no warranty whatsoever.
I can't speak for all, but warranty is probably one of the last things in a person's mind when he thinks of going FI.

Well, atleast for me.

He'll still get warranty on anything not related to the powertrain though

Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Red Card Crew

I think it is when the car he's buying is FI from the factory hehe

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I can't speak for all, but warranty is probably one of the last things in a person's mind when he thinks of going FI.

Well, atleast for me.

He'll still get warranty on anything not related to the powertrain though

Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Retired SuperMod
From another thread:

Does anyone have any 0-60 times with a vortech kit on a non rev-up 6spd engine? Can't decide if I should go to an WRX STI or keep the G and take it add a supercharger.
From this thread:

Would my G with a basic Vortech SC kit beat the STI?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I think it is when the car he's buying is FI from the factory hehe
As you can see Jeff,

He is [was] debating whether to go FI or get an STi.

I think he knows the power of going FI on a G35 overcomes the sacrafice of the powertrain warranty

Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I think you will probably enjoy the STI more since you want to tinker around with your car. It's good to switch to between brand to gain a broad knowledge of all cars.

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
From another thread:

From this thread:

As you can see Jeff,

He is [was] debating whether to go FI or get an STi.

I think he knows the power of going FI on a G35 overcomes the sacrafice of the powertrain warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible Fever WRX