The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Horrible Fever WRX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I was reading along a thread created in an STi forum, and many seem to jump from an STi to a G35, not the other way around. They seem to get tired off the ride quality and poor image, and decide to go "Higher Class".

But in your case, it makes sense. Your gonna get the best of both worlds. You have the G and your [soon to be] STi. So when you tired from one, you go to the other

If you have the money, I say go for the Next G35 Coupe when it comes out (like you stated). If the rumor is true, the next Coupe will get the 3.7 Litter HR Engine (VQ37HR) which will be the same as the GT-R's minus the turbo. Just slap a pair of turbo's and youll get the good looks with killer performance (So far all speculation ofcourse).

Good luck with the STi and have fun

i think you are too stuck on the g35. open your eyes. its just a 35k car. like buying a 3 series.. who cares. its a nice car for the money but when you talk down about other cars its zzzz. sti is a nice car. why do people buy old a$$ civics and integs and fix them up. because they want to.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I still love honda and would love to fix another one up. Problem is its to easy to steal. Maybe I'll get another 91-95 MR2 Turbo! I like older cars.. but wifey no want me to have one!

STI STI! do it do it dot!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
good luck with your decision...

keep us updated

Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I have an 05 Legacy GT (LGT). Gave it to my wife (sold her car) and bought an 07 STI Limited. Drove the STI for 2 months - hated it-longed for my LGT. Traded the STI for an 06 G35x for my wife so I could have my LGT back.

You should seriously consider the LGT. For about 1K dollars (parts only) you can mod to Stage 2 and you will be at stock STI power levels (my Stage 2 LGT was faster than the 07 STI I owned..or so my butt dyno told me - a REAL dyno confirmed the numbers my LGT was putting out was comparable to a stock STI). And you will have an interior (if you buy the Limited) which approaches the G (though not quite as nice). However, you may also need to upgrade brakes and suspension if you want the LGT to handle in a manner comparable to a G. It will still fall short of an STI in handling.

I found the STI Limited to be too harsh and the interior (despite being a limited - with leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc.) spartan. The seats are horrendous and my back was killing me - from the seats or the ride - I am not sure.

Of the LGT (stage 2), G35x, and STI Limited, I much prefer my LGT. It could be the perfect balance between the G and STI you are looking for.

Check out www.legacygt.com to learn more about the car.

Good luck.

Last edited by emlevins; 01-29-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Bought the STI! Did days of research on the STI sites and was hooked. Totally different car than a G as all have said. Less luxury but a lot more performance. Really a big tinker toy. I don't pick it up for a couple of weeks cuz it is in a showroom in Colorado Springs. Hard suckers to find. Paid 30500 OTD with some creature comforts added on. We are gonna add a different turbo kit, engine management unit, and have it protuned in AZ. The thing otta be running just under 400whp on pump gas and be a reliable daily driver. Can go much more hp easily but would need to build the motor to be safe and would rather not until it needs it. Less than 5K for 400whp in a chinese takeout box with AWD is insane fun! Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of that airplane wing Until the mods are done or I sell my G, I will certainly be enjoying my heated seats and cockpit style interior to the fullest.

Don't worry...I'll be back in a newer model G as soon as the STI thrill wears off. A dd G35 and a track STI would be an ideal garage for me.

Last edited by r6chiro; 01-31-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What's that word I'm looking for..........

That's right, FUGLY.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by hopang
i think you are too stuck on the g35. open your eyes. its just a 35k car. like buying a 3 series.. who cares. its a nice car for the money but when you talk down about other cars its zzzz. sti is a nice car. why do people buy old a$$ civics and integs and fix them up. because they want to.
totally agree. good post.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by G-MENTED
youre trippin dude. people with WRXs and STIs end up gettin Gs. lol go sell your G and get a STI... youll be back.

Sad but true, heck... I myself was in the market for an EVO or STI and ended up with the G... But if you do want a faster car and don't feel like spending thousands modding your G ( kinda like I'm feeling now ) I'd go for the new 3-series... Luxury, and PLENTY of speed and potential... By the way I'm getting one come next year

Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G_prospect
Sad but true, heck... I myself was in the market for an EVO or STI and ended up with the G... But if you do want a faster car and don't feel like spending thousands modding your G ( kinda like I'm feeling now ) I'd go for the new 3-series... Luxury, and PLENTY of speed and potential... By the way I'm getting one come next year
Gonna wait for the GTR or 2009 G myself.......I suspect these cars will be revolutionary......in speed and price.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by r6chiro
Don't worry...I'll be back in a newer model G as soon as the STI thrill wears off. A dd G35 and a track STI would be an ideal garage for me.
Well, my STI DD experience lasted 2 months. If you are going to sink a bunch of money in your STI, I sure hope the thrill lasts longer for you than it did for me. You might want to live with the car for 6 months or so before investing so heavily in it. Coming from a G, the noise, rough ride and lack of interior luxury and creature comforts may get to you. Though you can do a wing delete (I assume you are not getting a limited), it is not easily done. Check www.iwsti.com and do a search and you'll find information on how to do it.

If you bought an 07, read through threads on the throttle response issue owners of 07s are experiencing (also on www.iwsti.com). You'll need a good tune to address it but it will be worth it because guys are making much better power with the 07s than with previous models. The 07s in particular seem to have tremendous power potential.

Personally, I wish you had considered the Legacy GT Limited - especially given that you are willing to put so much money into mods. With a turbo swap and other mods, you can get 400awhp out of it, and still have a relatively quiet and luxurious car. Check out www.legacygt.com for examples. I'm biased of course because I own and love one.

Anyway, good luck. The STI is a blast to drive - You'll have fun with it.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
congrats on the sti.. nice car supposedly subaru is gonna change the imprezas to hatchbacks. thatll suck. especially cause the new evo X looks pretty nice

Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
You might want to live with the car for 6 months or so before investing so heavily in it. Coming from a G, the noise, rough ride and lack of interior luxury and creature comforts may get to you.
Yea would def. agree if i didn't have future plans. Gonna mod the STi right out the door to around 400whp. But I have also been driving a jeep rubicon with no complaints except terrible gas mileage, so the STi should be bearable especially when loaded to the gills with fun toys, DVD player, fast engine, AWD, suspension mods.... Plan on getting the New Rubicon Turbo Diesel for a second vehicle to switch it up in a couple years. The STi will become a track vehicle at that point if I haven't decided to buy the new G by then. Been on iwsti for 2 weeks now learning and there are actually alot of other G and M3 drivers that switched to have a little more fun!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hopang
You dont even know me...

What are you talking about???

If I had the money, I would go for something much better ofcourse.

We're talking about cars in the 30k range in case you havent noticed.

I got a whole list of cars I would choose over the G35 if you want it. But ofcourse the price range is gonna be much higher.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Here are the first pics. Gonna have some better ones soon. The car is a blast and so fast compared to the G. But yes it is no where near as comfy as the G.

We had a car club meet today so those pics should be ready soon. But the bummer of the day is, my STi got a smashed bumper on our first day out. Debris on the road flew into me and demolished it.