The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Concerned about a couple engine noises...help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerned about a couple engine noises...help!

Sometimes when I put the car in drive or reverse I notice there is a chirping fan noise coming from the engine bay...it either goes away or is much quieter when the car is in park or neutral...any ideas on this?

Also sometimes when I start the car (about 1 out of every 10 times) once the engine turns over I hear a weird chatter/light grind that just lasts a second or less and goes away. Anyone have any ideas on this one too??

thanks

Old 01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I hear you on the second one. I have an 05 6MT coupe and got a similar noise at start up. I went to play cards w/ some of my friends a couple of weeksa ago. It was cold, well into the single digits and I came out and started my car as everyone was leaving.

My friend gets in the car and says "You don't let your car warm up?" I was like WTF are you talking about? He said when I started my car it made some noise like the oil was low or something. As with most G's sometimes my TOB sounds like marbles being thrown into a metal bowl and I thought this must be the noise he heard.

Next day I checked my oil and it was fine. A couple of days later it was cold as hell. I started it up and the engine made the same noise you described. It only lasted for a few a second but it was not a good sound.

I'm not going to worry, way I figure is it warrantied so if it blows up then f@ck it. Car doesn't burn any oil, gets good gas mileage and runs fine. I'm not gonna worry about it.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah it runs perfect just a couple weird noises but I am really **** about that stuff so I might bring it in...and chances are they'll say "we werent able to get it to make that noise" always happens!!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Hmmm...all I can think of and first comes to mind on the second noise mentioned is, could be your hydraulic lifters just for a second having no oil until the oil pump gets it up to the lifters and then quiets down. And could be more apparent in colder conditions, idk just a thought.

Your first noise I have no idea, being it's from an Auto, which I don't have.

It's hard to diagnose noises described in writing, where as much easier when you can physically be there to hear. Mine has done what I mentioned above, but only after sitting for days without running.

Wouldn't worry about it unless the noise gets worse and/or lasts longer or happens say 8/10+ times.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The second noise is timing chain clatter that is common on our VQ-DE's.
I haven't got any feedback at all on the VQ-HR's yet, tho I doubt they're any different.

I've had it on 3 of my 4 VQ engines and was told as long as it doesn't last more than a second or 2, it's fine.

The problem occurs when most of the oil drains off the chain causing it to rattle against the tensioner, usually after sitting all night, and should last only a moment or 2 until the chain gets bathed in oil again.

nalinc23----the "chirping noise" you mention under the hood is probably a belt(s) slipping slightly on first startup.
No biggie and should go away almost immediately.
If it persists, then the tension on the belts is incorrect and need to be adjusted.
An easy job if you know what you're doing, but for the inexperienced, should be done by the dealer....

G/L

Colin.

Last edited by Msedanman; 01-29-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the second sound your speaking of is the ABS system for the brakes.....my car makes this distinct split second chatter/grind when I start my car as well........I think its actually the system checking itself at startup......

Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
If I'm not mistaken, the second sound your speaking of is the ABS system for the brakes.....my car makes this distinct split second chatter/grind when I start my car as well........I think its actually the system checking itself at startup......
Yes there is an ABS self test (as the owner's manual explains) which is short and sounds like air being expelled quickly, but I believe that happens after the car starts moving.

I believe the "chatter" than nalinc23 refers to is longer and more raspy and occurs before movement and right after startup.

C.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yes there is an ABS self test (as the owner's manual explains) which is short and sounds like air being expelled quickly, but I believe that happens after the car starts moving.
C.
Yup, I hear this when I am moving slowly in the driveway. At about 5kph I hear the noise for a second or two.

I've only had one real cold start this year. I was parked out in the street all night in colder than -30 weather. The belts made quite a bit of noise for about 5 seconds then all was good. The car continued to fast idle for awhile which I suppose can be expected.

Just a tip for anyone with an auto tranny starting their car in the really cold mornings. It's not a bad idea to shift in to neutral before cranking the engine. My dad says it puts less stress on the starter. In my experience, it allows for an easier start. Once the car is started, I put it back in park and let it warm up for a few mins.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman

I believe the "chatter" than nalinc23 refers to is longer and more raspy and occurs before movement and right after startup.

C.
Yeah I know the ABS sound that you guys are referring to, I hear that once in a while but not too often. The chatter noise does sound like it's coming from the chain. I am relieved this is a fairly common noise...i assume you can't do a whole lot about it? Now I just need to have this driveshaft loud "CLICK!" noise looked at when I put it into reverse....i know that can be fixed, I hope at least!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the same problem. I had my belts changed and tightened so that is not it. I have change the ALTERNATOR IDLER PULLEY. That was not it. It is problemly the prower steering pump the whole thing or the alternator.
DONT SPRAYING ANYTHING ON THE BELTS. WD-40, belt dressing etc. makes it worst!

Me **** lasts for like 2 whole mintures. its is Annoying also embrassing.

People call infiniti and tell them about the problem they said if a lot of people call in they will do a recall on it. I also filed a complaint to NHTSA. you can do the same.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm just not getting why the chain would be sitting in oil inside the timing chain case? nothing in FSM about it being oiled. maybe a high temp grease but oil, I'm just not understanding this...

Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by antdiesel3
I hear you on the second one. I have an 05 6MT coupe and got a similar noise at start up. I went to play cards w/ some of my friends a couple of weeksa ago. It was cold, well into the single digits and I came out and started my car as everyone was leaving.

My friend gets in the car and says "You don't let your car warm up?" I was like WTF are you talking about? He said when I started my car it made some noise like the oil was low or something. As with most G's sometimes my TOB sounds like marbles being thrown into a metal bowl and I thought this must be the noise he heard.

Next day I checked my oil and it was fine. A couple of days later it was cold as hell. I started it up and the engine made the same noise you described. It only lasted for a few a second but it was not a good sound.

I'm not going to worry, way I figure is it warrantied so if it blows up then f@ck it. Car doesn't burn any oil, gets good gas mileage and runs fine. I'm not gonna worry about it.
You should be worried......

This guy had the same problem. Turned out, the engine bearing was bad... And motor was replaced under warranty.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...upe-video.html

The startup noise only lasted a few second on cold starts. He has a video of it too. So if ur car sounds just like this, your engined is f'd...