The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How many people have the Oil Consumption problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Yep, second Engine. I feel I didn't spend this much money on a car that I need to monitor the oil. I've informed Infiniti of this and told them there is nothing in the manual that says check my oil every 1000 miles so they can suck it!.. I'm going to continue to drive and do oil changes every 3500 miles.. if the engine dies they have to replace it. .. I have a 100,000 mile warranty.. .. I will need about 20-30 engines in the life of my warranty.. I think it's in their best interests to just buy my car back and sell it as "certified Used"..
I have a 2007 6MT. I have to put a QT of oil in every 3rd tank of gas (about 900 miles). I do not live close enough to an Infiniti dealer, so I have to keep adding Oil. Now my SES light is on, and Infiniti will not let me take it to the local Nissan Dealer to atleast see what the Code is, they want me to drive 3.5 hours to Miami to have them check it. I too have a 100,000 mile warranty, I'm sure I'll be getting a few engines. I babied the car so much when I first got it for the Break in, for nothing, damn Piston Rings never seated!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 PM
bai
Add me to the list too - I was driving my '06 6MT around last weekend and started hearing a rattling noise coming from my engine (sounded exactly like the 10 year old Hyundai the dealer wouldn't even accept as trade-in). The next day, the check engine light came on. Called the dealer, earliest appointment they could give me was next Tuesday - I figured I'd do an oil change over the weekend to see if that helps. Imagine my surprise when I open up the oil drainage plug and a measly one quart comes dribbling out!

I'm going to take this oil with me to the dealer on Monday, and explain to them that going through 4 quarts of oil in 6 months is just plain ridiculous (the junker they turned down went through less, and it leaked and burned and did everything else you could imagine to that oil). The car never gave me a single warning that this was happening - the check engine light came on well after the damage was done, and the oil warning light was nowhere to be seen.

If any amount of permanent damage was done to my engine, you can be damn sure I'll be pushing for a warranty replacement. Anyone have any experience dealing with Frontier Infiniti (Bay Area) with this sort of issue? I'd be interested to know how accommodating their service department is when it comes to major problems like this.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 AM
MightyMouse, I was basically saying in the PM maybe a class action is in order here. I'm mean if my engine doesn't get better will I get engine number 3???

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased my '05 - 6MT Coupe in May of 2005. At 1200 miles, I noticed the engine was consuming more than its normal share of oil. Infiniti performed the standard "Engine Oil Consumption Test." Personally, I was not quite satisfied with the test results.

It's been some 30,2xx miles and I have used 18 quarts of additional engine oil plus my routine 2,500 mile oil changes. I check my oil level once a week and add oil if so required. It's no big deal.

Until Infiniti formally recognizes the consumption issue, I will continue to do as I have. My car is running great, at the moment. I am not going to stress over this issue.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Just went in this morning to start the oil consumption testing and the service advisor noticed I had the oil pan spacer. They refused to do the test until I come back with the spacer removed. I argued for a few minutes but I didn't have much ground to stand on since the oil system was out of "factory spec".

Funny thing is...I don't recall having the oil burning issue before putting in the spacer. In any event, I'll be removing the spacer in the next few weeks and will see if the oil is still being burned by the engine. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Mine is an 04 6MT. Currently going through the oil consumption process with the dealer - car is due to go in tomorrow actually for them to check the consumption for the past 2K miles. The service advisor initially tried to blame the consumption on the fact I have been changing my own oil, and then tried to blame the fact I have always used Mobil1 full synthetic.
I have noticed that the consumption problem seems to be worse with 5W 30 oil versus 10W 30.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
I purchased my '05 - 6MT Coupe in May of 2005. At 1200 miles, I noticed the engine was consuming more than its normal share of oil. Infiniti performed the standard "Engine Oil Consumption Test." Personally, I was not quite satisfied with the test results.

It's been some 30,2xx miles and I have used 18 quarts of additional engine oil plus my routine 2,500 mile oil changes. I check my oil level once a week and add oil if so required. It's no big deal.

Until Infiniti formally recognizes the consumption issue, I will continue to do as I have. My car is running great, at the moment. I am not going to stress over this issue.
So you're saying that your issue still hasn't been resolved to your satisfaction? How much would you say you lose every 1000 miles?

My thing is.. does an engine that consumes massive amounts of oil get worse after say.. 50k miles? When/if 100k comes along and the warranty is gone.. that troubles me.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I will be purchasing my new G35 within the next couple of weeks. I have been watching this thread daily with concern. I did some research on the web and found that Ford says that one quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. Owners of the Cadillac CTS-V are complaining of excessive oil consumption, 1 qt per 1000 miles. Toyota has even had mention of this problem. CONSPIRACY. Ok just my opinion. This seems to be a big problem with most auto makers. This was also ( dont know if it is fixed yet) with the Corvette. The CTS-V is suposely the same engine as the vet.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brybry2
I will be purchasing my new G35 within the next couple of weeks. I have been watching this thread daily with concern. I did some research on the web and found that Ford says that one quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. Owners of the Cadillac CTS-V are complaining of excessive oil consumption, 1 qt per 1000 miles. Toyota has even had mention of this problem. CONSPIRACY. Ok just my opinion. This seems to be a big problem with most auto makers. This was also ( dont know if it is fixed yet) with the Corvette. The CTS-V is suposely the same engine as the vet.
The oil consumption applies mostly to the rev-up so if you get the new VQ-HR, those don't have a history (yet) of oil consumption. In fact, the engine is so different, you might as well ignore this thread completely and just focus the 07 and up threads.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for setting my mind at ease. It's just to hard to ignore any threads. This is the only way I can past my time until I get the I-key in my hand. Once that happens I dont think you will be hearing from me for awhile.

Again thanks for the reply.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I have 31k on my 6MT '05. The b1tch has a new motor (infiniti warranty) after consuming 3 quarts every 3500 miles. The new motor seems to be running just fine. Still has oil in it after 2300 miles. We'll see if it happens again, I would bet that it does. If it starts, I may just get rid of it. I'm sure if you drive it like you were 80 yrs old, it probably wouldn't consume, but seriously.

My buddy has an '02 babied xterra with the stock 3.3L supercharged. At 65k (60k warranty) the motor started lagging. Then it started burning oil and the dealer said Nissan won't do anything outside of warranty and to cough up $7500 for a new motor. Hilarious. What is going on with these cars. I still love it but c'mon...

Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost30
So you're saying that your issue still hasn't been resolved to your satisfaction? How much would you say you lose every 1000 miles?

My thing is.. does an engine that consumes massive amounts of oil get worse after say.. 50k miles? When/if 100k comes along and the warranty is gone.. that troubles me.
Obviously, there is an inherent problem with these engines. People are having the same experience after having their engines swapped out. It is what it is.

Hopefully, Infiniti will exercise some damage control and step up to the plate. My issues have been documented.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... no problems here. knock on dashboard. how did u all break-in your engines? i followed the manual.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
hmmm... no problems here. knock on dashboard. how did u all break-in your engines? i followed the manual.
Uh.. The manual states there is no break-in period...

Here's how I broke mine in though.. I drove it and varied the RPMs upto 4500rpm and then back down and up and down.. did this for the first 100 miles.
I felt that was adequate.

This IS a problem.. The problem occurs on 6mt 05 06 revvups and it usually happens more so when above 3500 rpm, which is where I like to drive on my daily commutes because that's where the power is.
Infiniti WON'T step up to the plate and is in the hopes that all the problems will just "go away". I mean, are they really going to replace every engine in every car that has this problem? NO.. why not? Because that's every new 3.5 altima, maxima, g35 coupe and so on .. The problem is far to widespread and infiniti can only hope people don't notice it. I, peronally refuse to keep this car. I have had my car at the service dept for 27 days this year and the lemon law says 30, so .. with 3 oil consumption checks already in the plans I filed lemon law. Infiniti refuses to repurchase the car because it's only been at the dealer for 27 days .. I plan on being part of a Class-A lawsuit against the company if they don't start stepping up to the plate. I had a Mitsu 3000gt and every single one of the VR-4's would spin a bearing at about 140k miles and they had the worse lifter tick in the world.. Mitsu refused to do anything and they got away with it.. same goes for the crank walk on their talons and eclipses (2nd gens).. Car companies will bank on the fact that most people will just "deal with it" rather than pressure the company to make things "right".. I will pressure..

Old 06-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 6MT coupe. Had my engine replaced 04/23/2007 by Infiniti of Glendale (CA) with 9,234 miles on the odometer. So far, the new engine seems to be okay. I've been checking my oil regularly and all is good so far. Thank god because I am about to go FI!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people have the Oil Consumption problem?