The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How many people have the Oil Consumption problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noticed it at 4000 miles. Started my oil consumption test, seems like something not performed often by dealership. They gave me different responses on how it was actually going to be performed. Then they forgot what to do after the 3rd visit, so now I have to start it all over from scratch again.

2006 G35 Coupe 6spd.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^^ Were they sealing the dip stick and drain plug during testing??

Not to sound sacrastic, but sounds like your Dealer is stalling on the results, so starting you all over

Every Dealer has got or should have gotten a corp. memo on this issue.
My Dealer knew about this issue early/mid last year when I brought my G in. As soon as I mentioned the consumption issue, they already knew more than me on this issue....worse than 1qt/1000mi = warranty replacement; high vacuum pull with re up VQ's, etc. and how to perform oil consumtion testing.

My worst was 1qt/1200mi below 7500mi. Got better around 11K-15K at 1qt/3750mi all with 5-30 dino.
At 15K switched to 5-30 Syntec with 1qt/2500mi current consumption.
Now at 20K. Going to try Amsoil series 2000 (0w-30). I'll see how that does.

I could live, I suppose , with 1qt/5000mi with Synth if I get the VQ at that point. Still that's a sad consumtion rate for a modern designed engine in todays standards.

Just read in another consumption thread about a member with his replacement 'long block' rev-up VQ with redesigned/different type rings than previously used and no consumption problems at all. Good info to remember as to one sucessful solution story compared to others on their second VQ with no improvemnts on consumption.

Anyway....cast your vote where Hero said in post #2 on here.
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/120735-poll-oil-consumption.html

G/L everyone and be sure Dealer documents your usage for when, if ever, Corp steps up to the plate.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Uh.. The manual states there is no break-in period...
uhhhh... yeah there is. see attached.

like i said.. i have no problems with mine.. and lots of people on this forum have the rev-up and don't have any problems either. i'm sorry your burning oil... maybe there's something wrong with the engines, maybe it's break-in, maybe it's something else... who knows. i know a lot of people complain about the clutch burning early on these cars too.. saying there is an inherent problem... till i see the way they drive... not calling out anyone's driving habits or break-in habits... but there seems to be so much screwy/bad info on these forums... it's nice to pull some accurate info once in a while.

hope u all get this sorted out... having a messed up engine is never any fun.

Attached Thumbnails How many people have the Oil Consumption problem?-break-.png  
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
It is interesting on how some 05-06 rev-ups have no problem while some do.
IMO...it doesn't matter how it's broken in. Some ppl from day one report they drove theirs from day one like they stole it and have no consumption issues. So go figure
Nissan/Infiniti probably still trying to sort out the cause and why some and not other VQ's.
IMO...I still think it's a compression ring supplier production problem. Perhaps more than one vendor/supplier was used. Perhaps build date is a factor too.
My 06 was built in Nov 05 for what it's worth.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
uhhhh... yeah there is. see attached.

like i said.. i have no problems with mine.. and lots of people on this forum have the rev-up and don't have any problems either. i'm sorry your burning oil... maybe there's something wrong with the engines, maybe it's break-in, maybe it's something else... who knows. i know a lot of people complain about the clutch burning early on these cars too.. saying there is an inherent problem... till i see the way they drive... not calling out anyone's driving habits or break-in habits... but there seems to be so much screwy/bad info on these forums... it's nice to pull some accurate info once in a while.

hope u all get this sorted out... having a messed up engine is never any fun.
Hmm...this is my thinking as well. I checked my engine at 18500 and my last oil change was on 1350 and I have almost "full" when I checked the dipstick. So, no oil burning problem here. Like the poster above said, maybe it is a supplier problem on one of the parts? Intersting that they can't figure it out in almost 2 years.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:25 PM
my car is an 05 6MT Rev up... i had no problems since i got it in Jun 05 and didn't have any problems until now ... I have 25k miles now and am getting more black soot build up on the tailpipes than before. I had to add a quart of oil since my last change which was about 3k miles ago. Can't get an accurate reading from the dipstick. I really don't drive the car that hard, just occasional trips up to 5-6k... should I get the oil consumption test.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:02 AM
This thread makes me worry

I hope my cars not consuming oil.. Megh what to do.. have to wait 1000 miles to even notice if its consuming oil

Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
If your is eating oil like it's going out of style put your name here and the year and transmission of your car. This is a Revvup 6mt problem I'm pretty sure...

1 - MightyMouse - (06 - 6mt 2nd engine ran out again)
2 - cgocifer1 - (05 -6mt waiting for recommendation from Infiniti. Just completed consumption test)
3 -
4 -
5 -
me 2

Old 08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
yes, i'm burning about 1 quart every 1500miles.

should have stuck with my corrolla....have 130K and no oil burning...haha

but seriously, i'm gonna sh#% on Infiniti if they don't do something.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by waterp7
my car is an 05 6MT Rev up... i had no problems since i got it in Jun 05 and didn't have any problems until now ... I have 25k miles now and am getting more black soot build up on the tailpipes than before. I had to add a quart of oil since my last change which was about 3k miles ago. Can't get an accurate reading from the dipstick. I really don't drive the car that hard, just occasional trips up to 5-6k... should I get the oil consumption test.
That is how mine started

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 AM
If your rev it, expect more oil to make it past the rings. If you drive it like it's a formula one racer all the time expect problems; or like the racing teams you can have the motor torn down and professionally rebuild every week.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 AM
I had the oil consumption test done on my 04 6MT at 45K miles. Dealer just told me that they've put me on the list for a new long block, but its going to be a couple months before they get it in.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by GsUpHoesDown
I had the oil consumption test done on my 04 6MT at 45K miles. Dealer just told me that they've put me on the list for a new long block, but its going to be a couple months before they get it in.

so before 45k you were fine? is this something that happens after a certain time of period?

also i have an other question the "soot" building up on the tailpipes mean oil consumption problem? because i looked at the g35 i want today on the lift and realized there was quiet of bit of black "soot" on the tailpipes from where the clamps are?? is this normal? but when you get on the car or rev it up it doesnt blow out smoke...?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by TurK
so before 45k you were fine? is this something that happens after a certain time of period?

also i have an other question the "soot" building up on the tailpipes mean oil consumption problem? because i looked at the g35 i want today on the lift and realized there was quiet of bit of black "soot" on the tailpipes from where the clamps are?? is this normal? but when you get on the car or rev it up it doesnt blow out smoke...?

When my motor was burning oil, had soot on the tailpipes. With my new motor, very little to no soot even after extended periods.

Keep in mind, not all cars are the same. For example, 1.8T and 2.0T motors in audi's and volkswagens love to make soot at the tailpipes with no consumption.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
so when i got to purchase my 04 should i look around the tailpipes and bumper to see if there is any soot? Also would having someone rev the motor and i look at the exhaust let me know if the car has the problem or not?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people have the Oil Consumption problem?