Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
Opinion article from Advertising Age about Infiniti's Commercials

http://adage.com/garfield/article?article_id=117367

If Only Infiniti's Commercials Were as Appealing as Its Cars
Product Line Evolves Nicely, Ad Strategy Doesn't

This is about success and failure. Here's the success part: In May, Infiniti's U.S. sales were up 9.8%, thanks largely to the retooled G35, which is a corker. That would suggest the advertising from TBWA/Chiat/Day, Playa del Rey, Calif., is working just fine. Almost 11,000 cars and SUVs were delivered.

Read on.....

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The article makes a valid point, infiniti doesn't have a known tagline, like some other premium carmakers.

BMW, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." (The most recognized tagline for any class vehicle)
Lexus, "The Passionate pursuit of perfection." (formerly "The Relentless pursuit of perfection")
Porche, "There is no substitute."
Acura, "Designed with purpose. Driven by passion."
Mercedes-Benz, “Unlike Any Other.”
Audi, “Truth in Engineering.”
Chrysler, "Engineered Beautifully.”
Jaguar, "Born to perform."

The only record I could find was an old tagline no longer used from 1999 by Infiniti, "Own One and You'll Understand."

IMO, Infiniti is suffering from an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be performance-oriented or Luxury, etc. So it opts to be silent.

Taglines are defined as "A statement or motto that succinctly defines or represents an organization’s mission." Like a signature for the company.

I also found a blurb in a marketing article (sorry, lost link) that the advertising from Infiniti wasn't hitting its target audience. So these commercials and ads obviously isn't what is bringing in the customers, it is on the laurels of the vehicles offered themselves, however, this is not sustainable for Infiniti unless they can bring a successful campaign that hits their target audience (once they figure out who that is).

Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ku-Ling
The article makes a valid point, infiniti doesn't have a known tagline, like some other premium carmakers.

BMW, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." (The most recognized tagline for any class vehicle)
Lexus, "The Passionate pursuit of perfection." (formerly "The Relentless pursuit of perfection")
Porche, "There is no substitute."
Acura, "Designed with purpose. Driven by passion."
Mercedes-Benz, “Unlike Any Other.”
Audi, “Truth in Engineering.”
Chrysler, "Engineered Beautifully.”
Jaguar, "Born to perform."

The only record I could find was an old tagline no longer used from 1999 by Infiniti, "Own One and You'll Understand."

IMO, Infiniti is suffering from an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be performance-oriented or Luxury, etc. So it opts to be silent.

Taglines are defined as "A statement or motto that succinctly defines or represents an organization’s mission." Like a signature for the company.

I also found a blurb in a marketing article (sorry, lost link) that the advertising from Infiniti wasn't hitting its target audience. So these commercials and ads obviously isn't what is bringing in the customers, it is on the laurels of the vehicles offered themselves, however, this is not sustainable for Infiniti unless they can bring a successful campaign that hits their target audience (once they figure out who that is).
Yeah, I kind of agree with you, Ku-Ling. Infiniti is using "Brave. By design." in much of their written literature...pamphlets, brochures, etc., but rarely is it used in their commercials. I thought that was brilliant and much different than many other of the manufacturers. I guess there is a reason they didn't go with that. Also, Infiniti's design has, until now, not represented a clear family resemblance and mission (now many of Infiniti's cars have or will have L-shaped headlights and circular LED tailights). Their mission seems to be to blend luxury and performance at a value, at least, for now. I honestly couldn't say who Infiniti's target market is. Just take a look at all the different types of people age-wise and otherwise on this board.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
"Hop in and nail it!"

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
N50
Originally Posted by fortified
"Hop in and nail it!"
Brilliant! By the power vested in me, I hereby grant you, Fortified, Chief of Marketing Operations for Infiniti North America. LOL!