G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

New Buyer: Need Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 01:55 AM
|
New Buyer: Need Help/Advice

Hi everyone,
I recently (today) bought a '08 G35 Journey, while I was psyched about my price negotiation: I think I got bamboozled by signing up for this extended warranty.
The Finance guy at the dealership basically told me that the standard Infiniti warranty isn't like the BMW warranty (my last car) and that it only covers items deemed as manufacturer defects, not wear and tear: obviously, I knew that brake pads, oil, etc isn't covered, but he made it seem like anything could be deemed "wear and tear".
So I ended up getting this package in which he said I had to accept 3 out of 4, I ended up getting all 4. Here's the Breakdown:
Paint-Dent Repair for 5 years: $499
Extended Warranty: 100k or 7 years: $2365 (everything covered)
Tire Assure: Wheels and Tires covered for 3 years: $499
Maintenance (Oil Changes, Tire Rotation, Check-up) for 5 years, 4 times a year: $1140--I wasn't big on this one

I'm thinking this is pretty outrageous. Just wanted to know if this is reasonable or anybody else has experience with this. Can I cancel any of these options and pick them up later? Are they even worth it?? Thanks in advance. I love the car, just hate the purchasing process.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:41 AM
Sorry to say but IMHO you were more than bamboozled. You were outright ripped off.

1) Paintless dent removal is roughly $100 for the first 1 or 2 dents then may $20 after that per dent. If you're careful, you might get 1 or 2 dings a year max, of course depending on where you live it could be more.

2) Extended warranty, for peace of mind, sure but it's a major gamble that something will go wrong. Given the excellent reliability of the G, I'd still say it's a big gamble.

3) Tires covered for $500? You have to replace tires in pairs since yours is a RWD. If you had AWD, you should replace all 4 at the same time. I suspect they would only pay for the damaged tire, but I could be wrong. If I'm correct, then you're still out roughly $150-$200 for the "other" tire..

To give you an idea, my wife and I have a total of 36 years of driving between the 2 of us. So far, we've had to buy a pair of tires once due to road damage and never had rim damage.. Knock on wood..

4) Maintenance. I do my own. Synthetic oil twice a year or 7500 miles OCI. Plugs, filters, etc. should be very easy if you have skills and space. If not, maybe its worth it.. You have to do the calculations.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:51 AM
Congrats on the new ride. It's a beautiful automobile.
IMO you don't need the first 3 items. I think your own gut feeling told you so.
$57 per Maintenance, (Oil Changes, Tire Rotation, Check-up) is not a bad price (in Canada my dealer charges $68 for oil change) but some of us actually got it thrown into the deal for free. Mine is free lifetime (for me, and only for this car obviously).
I don't know if you can cancel after you signed for them. Talking to the Manager might be your first step in reversing these if you don't want them. If you felt at all pressured by sales I would tell them that. Maybe someone else will know if you can get out of it. You should mention your location. Laws can vary greatly.
Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:30 AM
|
Re

Hey guys (and gals ,
I'm in Scottsdale, Arizona. Keep the advice coming. Is the Standard Infiniti Warranty much different other auto warranties: basically if anything goes wrong other than maintenance (brakes pads, oil, etc.) and someone taking a hammer to something, then they'll fix it??

I did like the idea of the extended warranty b/c it covers heat damage, which in the desert is very likely. However, it seems like you can purchase it at any time from any dealership and a lot of people have gotten it for significantly less ($1800) just before the standard warranty was up. Whatcha think?

Thanks again.
Ketan.

Last edited by kgamin; 03-23-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 03-23-2008 | 03:46 PM
yeah you got ripped off... the Paint-Dent Repair i have to agree with geronimomoe...

Extended Warranty... you could have bought later down the road and looked at different dealers prices... and gotten it for around -$2000... and not everything is "wear and tear" they will cover everything except tires, oil and stuff like that...

the Maintenance you could have done at a ma and pa shop for alot cheaper

Old 03-24-2008 | 04:27 AM
remember 3days to cancel anything and everything.

my dealer charges 36 for an oil change, so thats 720 total for 5yrs at 4times a year.

Old 03-24-2008 | 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by kgamin
Hey guys (and gals ,
I'm in Scottsdale, Arizona. Keep the advice coming. Is the Standard Infiniti Warranty much different other auto warranties: basically if anything goes wrong other than maintenance (brakes pads, oil, etc.) and someone taking a hammer to something, then they'll fix it??

I did like the idea of the extended warranty b/c it covers heat damage, which in the desert is very likely. However, it seems like you can purchase it at any time from any dealership and a lot of people have gotten it for significantly less ($1800) just before the standard warranty was up. Whatcha think?

Thanks again.
Ketan.
If you're worried about heat, I'd go with synthetic oil and synthetic gear lube in your differential. You could then cut down the visits to just 2x a year for oil. Not sure about how often you need to change the differential gear oil though as I just purchased the G so I need to look at that..

Not familiar with the extended warranty though... As Beebo said, you could shop around and get different prices for the Infiniti warranty..

I for one am not a big fan of extended warranties, especially if the car is known to be reliable. However, the wife is asking and I may inquire into one, since we keep our cars long term, up to 10 years.

Last edited by geronimomoe; 03-24-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2008 | 10:16 PM
|
Update

well after calling around, I did find out that the extended warranty doesn't cover anything different than the standard bumper to bumper warranty: it just extends the warranty...so that was all BS the dealer finance dude told me to make the sale. I just cancelled everything and got a quote from another dealer in MN for $600 cheaper. You have till 6000 miles or 6 months to get the New Car Extended Warranty up to 100,000 miles; after that you can only get it up to 82,000 miles and you can get that at say, 55K miles, but it'll cost roughly $2100 today, will most likely go up in 3-4 years, so I'm gonna get it soon. Hope this helps.