The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down VDC rant

Let me start out by saying I freakin hate VDC.

Very few things bug me about my 06 coupe. My likes far outweigh my dislikes but only one thing qualifys for hate and that is VDC.

First of all why is it on by default? Absolutely useless for dry conditions and far bigger a nuisance than a tool. Wouldn't it be smarter to have it off by default and let the driver turn it on if road conditions might benefit from it?

I'll admit this is the first car I have had with traction control. That being said I gotta think there have got to be better implementaions than this POS. It's a freaking stick, so much as chirp 2nd and it's like you hit a wall. Power cuts, brakes come on and your acceleration is ruined.

Personally I don't want my brakes coming on under hard acceleration. Call me crazy.

I turn that **** off the minute I start the car but sometimes I forget and invariably it bites me in the ***. I have had it. I'm getting the kp tech vdc memory module but what I would really like is to disable it entirely. Any way to do that?

Last edited by PTownG; 04-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can put a logic signal inverter on the wire that deactivates the VDC, so that it is active high (button pushed in) instead of active low. Simple solution, although i strongly recommend you leave it on because one day when u think you can make that ramp run at 90-100KM/h and you slip on some wet substance and spin outta control you are gonna wish you had the traction control activated...just take it off when you wanna get aggressive

Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I'll take my chances. VDC goes bye bye.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Disconnect the steering rack and put it back on by moving it over one spline and you will never have VDC ever again until you get a whole of things reset.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
First of all why is it on by default? Absolutely useless for dry conditions and far bigger a nuisance than a tool. Wouldn't it be smarter to have it off by default and let the driver turn it on if road conditions might benefit from it?

I'll admit this is the first car I have had with traction control. That being said I gotta think there have got to be better implementaions than this POS. It's a freaking stick, so much as chirp 2nd and it's like you hit a wall. Power cuts, brakes come on and your acceleration is ruined.

Personally I don't want my brakes coming on under hard acceleration. Call me crazy.
Why by default? Because most (and that means 99.8% of the ) drivers out there are bigger 'tools' than the VDC.

As for Infiniti's variation, it's actually been said to be much better than most. (Still doesn't mean we have to like it.) Yet one must remember that these cars can get very VERY rear end happy in a HURRY. Much better saving the car than hanging the rear end out around every turn you go through with heavy throttle.

When you're hammering the throttle on take-off, (assuming your not turning and twisting at the time) it, (the VDC) is not applying the brakes, just cutting the power via the ECU. Remember there is NO direct connection between your right foot and the engine.... it's all 'drive by wire'. Oh, and on the "launch factor", independent rear suspension cars are not now and were never mean't to do straight line burnouts. They tend to wheel hop worse than a 'live axle' car, and when they DO wheel hop it'll snap a CV joint in half a second sending that half shaft banging into anything and everything it can rip out from under the car. That being said, I totally know where you're coming from when you pull out from a stop sign taking a turn and leave a trail of expensive rubber laying there, including that lil' snap at 2nd gear.

Yes I'll totally agree with ya', that when you're squirting around town that it does seem to cut into the 'fun factor' more than we'd like it to. However.... (and this is huge) if you're driving the mountain twisties at speed (and not stop and go), then you'll be a LOT quicker not to mention a LOTTTTTTT safer to leave VDC on.

Oh oh oh oh oh... another thing about the VDC that was brought to my attention a couple of years ago when I bought my 96 Coupe MT, was how it is programmed in relation to the 'factory' tires. Yes yes YES the stock RE050 run-flats are hard on the side, and soft on the tread, and wear horribly... but when replacing them (they are rated 140 treadwear) and putting on something with say a 300 treadwear rating, the VDC will simply go f-ing CRAZY!!! My Service Manager has had more coupes than he remembers put 20's on and some hard tires, (Falken and a few others comes to mind ) and end up bringing the car in for service saying there is something wrong with the car! Not the car, just the tires are so hard the VDC is trying to save someone's life every time they get down on it.

Two choices; 1: go to a softer tire, 2: learn where the VDC likes to live and drive around it.
Me, I'm more into the softer tire thing, it's possible to go to a 180 or 220 and still have the grip we need. Just have to watch those 280 ~300+ ratings. (Unless you like to drift!)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Add one more line to the "Famous Last Words of a Redneck"

1. "Hey ya'll watch this!"

2. "Here, hold my beer"

Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
I'll take my chances. VDC goes bye bye.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Been driving very aggressively since I got my license 20+ years ago. Had 1 fender bendr when I was about 20 that was the other drivers fault, nothing since. My insurance company loves me and my payment is ridiculously low.

No snow, sleet or ice here and very little rain. I wont see rain again until october or november.

My G has RAS. I'm totally good with that and my skill level, RAS for me is a very good tool in all the ways vdc is not.

not that it matters but I am about as far from redneck as one could get

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
It's all good, it was meant for a laugh.

I too have cursed the VDC more than praised it.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Too much chirp, and VDC will kick in.

It is possible to chirp the tires without having the VDC kick in.

Plus, chirping the tires means a momentary loss of traction, so you're going slower anyways

Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
VDC bothers you that much? It don't bother me at all, I keep that sh*t on and I have a supercharger Only time I ever drove with my VDC off is when my sh*t was messed up and it staid off, I was super pissed more than happy. Again people, don't forget, our cars are luxury cars, it at least has to have traction control, and at least you get to control it lol.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
VDC bothers you that much? It don't bother me at all, I keep that sh*t on and I have a supercharger.
You have an AT. Different animal.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I have to disagree with you 06CoupeDaddy...driving the twisties with VDC on is NOT fun at all, and definitely NOT faster. I think that if you can say something like that, you haven't driven your car hard enough to know. I'll agree that it's safer, but I know my car well enough to know when it starts to lose traction...and how to compromise in such a situation, in most cases. I especially hate driving with VDC on in the snow, because it's scary when it kicks in, and more often than not it won't prevent a spin if a spin is going to happen. In other words, I don't need traction control to nanny my driving. I don't mind it being on by default...VDC is certainly better than the traction control in a lot of cars. But I wish the button were in a more convenient location, like by the radio.

I often wish that our cars were less luxurious...in fact, I would have bought a Z, but I think the Gs are a lot nicer looking, and I wanted the extra room.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Too much chirp, and VDC will kick in.

It is possible to chirp the tires without having the VDC kick in.

Plus, chirping the tires means a momentary loss of traction, so you're going slower anyways
VDC cutting in does nothing but kill ur accelaration no matter what the cirumstances are. U rather have wheelsping than an engine bog during acceleration.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CoupeDaddy

Yet one must remember that these cars can get very VERY rear end happy in a HURRY. Much better saving the car than hanging the rear end out around every turn you go through with heavy throttle.
Our cars are far from tailhappy in stock form. Stock suspension likes to push the front out with VDC off. With VDC on it is a nightmare to drive the car fast. There is nothing but nasty a$$ understeer with VDC on. As someone mentioned here, i don't think u have reached the limit of our cars to make that statement.

Originally Posted by 06CoupeDaddy

Yes I'll totally agree with ya', that when you're squirting around town that it does seem to cut into the 'fun factor' more than we'd like it to. However.... (and this is huge) if you're driving the mountain twisties at speed (and not stop and go), then you'll be a LOT quicker not to mention a LOTTTTTTT safer to leave VDC on.
A lot quicker?? No. A lot safer? Im not sure. does understeering into a mountain side or a guardrail safe for u? If it is then i guess yes. Driving with VDC on is like having ur hand cut off. If u are falling down a bulding u have a chance of grabbing something while ur falling down, but if u don't have hands u just hope u hit soft part of the ground when u land.

BTW i have fallen from two tall buildings and i was able to grab on something while falling down thanks to my hands (VDC OFF).

Last edited by Klubbheads; 04-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads

A lot quicker?? No. A lot safer? Im not sure. does understeering into a mountain side or a guardrail safe for u? If it is then i guess yes. Driving with VDC on is like having ur hand cut off. If u are falling down a bulding u have a chance of grabbing something while ur falling down, but if u don't have hands u just hope u hit soft part of the ground when u land.
I have to agree here. As we know, weight transfer to the rear of the vehicle is what gives one traction through a fast turn. This transfer of weight is impaired if acceleration is interrupted, thus reducing traction potential in dry pavement situations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC rant