The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

S2000 -> G35 (performance & insurance ?'s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. It's true that the 03-04 are a bit more suited to track use than the 05+, but sitting in an 05+ you can actually justify the car's price point. Have a sit and drive in both, and you'll see. The interior on the older ones is pretty miserable with cheap looking plastics everywhere, and the "titanium" paint on them rubs off and looks nasty. I wanted brembo brakes pretty badly, but there was no way I would live with that interior.
You have to try it yourself though, 03-04 owners will tell you it's nothing major, and 05+ owners will tell you it's night and day.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Smokey6
Nope - different platforms.

G35 = 3.5L VQ35DE (standard engine in '03-'06) or 3.5L VQ35HR ('07+ models of G35)
G37 = 3.7L VQ37VHR

A little wikipedia info on the VQ37VHR:
"The VQ37VHR is a 3.7 L (3696 cc) engine with a higher compression ratio (11.0:1) than the VQ35HR. It is rated at 333 PS (330 hp/246 kW) and 270 ft·lbf (366 Nm). Bore is 95.5 mm with 86 mm stroke. Although the engine only gains 2 ft·lbf (2.7 N·m) of torque at peak, the torque curve itself is improved and flattened all around by as much as 15%. Redline remains 7500 rpm. It marks the first use of Nissan's VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) system on a production vehicle."
ah beautiful! this makes a lot of sense. wow nissan just keeps tweaking and tweaking their cars like crazy. That is good. a huge gripe amongst s2k owners is the relatively unchanged s2k as all competitors pass honda by. It seems as tho they are just standing still.

OK but aside from the engine in the G37, is the frame more rigid? better suspension? better breaks? Or is that all pretty much the same and just like stickier newer tires or something?

On a different note I was watching a simple best motoring video on youtube, where an older I believe G35 coupe was only a couple tenths of a second behind the s2k. I wonder if the JDM G35 "350 GT" is much different than our infiniti.... interesting...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
1. G37 is the heaviest G close to 3700 lb
2. Don't ever believe to Best Motoring vids.

I agree with IVRY PRL 05+ interior is much better than the previous ones.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads

lol I know the best motoring vids arnt a be all end all, but it could be a rough estimate...right? they were comparing like an 00-03 s2k with an 03 g35c and everyone complains that best motoring gives the edge to hondas.... i dunno.

the early model s2ks are known to be slightly slower than the newer ones despite "being softer"... hmm do you know of any other track tests that are somewhat like that, just for a broad comparison?

I just found this as good news as i thought the G35 would possibly be many, many seconds behind the s2k... but it was even in front of the RX8, which is definitely livable.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by B.Money
I see. I am somewhat used to oil burning as the s2k likes to burn a little oil as well lol.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind raising the redline and what it is and what they raised it to? Or if theres any up or down sides to it? (besides thrills of higher revs)

And unfortunately I would be unable to afford a nismo Z or 07+ G of any kind. I am not really looking to get a 350z simply because I want more of a grandtouring type car than my s2k..

Whats the reason 350zs have been mentioned to be better for the track? the slight weight increase or is there a different frame? less rigidity in the G35 due to back seats instead of that giant brace?
The Nismo Z is to a regular Z, how a CR is to a regular S2k.

The G35 has less torsional rigidity due to less bracing than a Z. The Z is better at cornering (and less forgiving) due to a shorter wheelbase and stiffer suspension. The G has better high speed stability due to the longer wheelbase, and has a much more compliant suspension.

hey mike, ill shoot you a pm if you dont see this question asked here, but since you own both the s2k and g35 which in general have you found cheaper to insure? or cheaper in general with gas etc?

I know you have different year cars so it will be a little off and it depends on record, but just trying to get a rough estimate.
My insurance breaks down to about 650/yr coverage for a 08 CR, and about 600/yr for a 05 G Coupe.

They're pretty close in terms of insurance; the S2k is on the expensive side to insure because any claims made are usually big.

Send me a PM or call for more details.

05+ interiro is FAR better.

Best motoring is staged Do you REALLY think a S2k Type-S is the same as a regular S2k?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
er...wait let me get this straight....

so infiniti downgraded their brakes the same year they upgraded their engine...?

is that right? I hear all this talk about the G35's great stopping distance and low break fade...does this apply to the brembos only?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 PM
edited: triple post...

Last edited by B.Money; 05-06-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 PM
edited: the other triple post...

Last edited by B.Money; 05-06-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Best motoring is staged Do you REALLY think a S2k Type-S is the same as a regular S2k?
oh well.. man... thats bad news. haha.

I missed the s2k type-s and regualr S comparison lol

so realistically how close on that track do you think an early g35 and s2k would be? do you think it would be tenths of seconds...or...like 10 seconds?

edit: oops sorry guys, figured you would want to read that three times.

you cant delete posts on here or am i missing something lol

Last edited by B.Money; 05-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^join us to willow springs track day at the end of june to see it first hand.

https://g35driver.com/forums/socal-meetings-events/216000-willow-springs-track-day-july-9th-newbies-welcome.html

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216000
hmmm looks interesting... I see mike is bringing out his s2k instead of the G?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216000
He's modded and I'm stock.

I'd expect him to be faster
hmmm looks interesting... I see mike is bringing out his s2k instead of the G?
My G is in the body shop... it will most likely be totalled. I'm debating between a G sedan and a G coupe lease; I'm still undecided.

I doubt the new car will be fully broken in by the track date.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
My G is in the body shop... it will most likely be totalled. I'm debating between a G sedan and a G coupe lease; I'm still undecided.

I doubt the new car will be fully broken in by the track date.
sorry to hear man!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
so realistically how close on that track do you think an early g35 and s2k would be? do you think it would be tenths of seconds...or...like 10 seconds?
The early G coupes and s2k's are roughly driver's races in a straight line, with the edge going to the S (better weight/power ratio).

In a corner, the S will win hands down.

As you probably know, any HR Z will eat a S around most tracks; the power advantage is just simply too great.

Think of the HR vs DE this way. YOu have a AP2. the DE is like shifting at 7500RPM, while the HR is shifting at 8200RPM. That's how different the power is between the two engines. (and thats actually really really close to how the power curves look on a dyno too). Combine that with more agressive gearing on the HR (compensates for higher RPMS), and you get EVEN MORE power.

1st gen G coupes, with equal drivers, should be losing to a S in a straight line.

G sedans, with equal drivers, is a driver's race, with the edge going to the G as speed gets higher.

2nd gen G's.... don't mess with em. AT/MT doesn't matter, the S still loses.

1st gen, i'm assuming the G is a MT. ATs don't stand a chance.

Appologies for bad grammer...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S2000 -> G35 (performance & insurance ?'s)