The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Help me convince my parents to buy a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry to bring back this dead thread, I just wanted you guys to know I didn't go with the G35, my parents never let me and I realize that probably is a good decision right now.

However, the Corolla is in bad shape. I would never reccomend this car to anyone besides a grandma. I have 3,650 miles on the car, I've been more towards the gentle side with it, but certianly not grandma driving.

-Horrible rattle started about 100 miles ago, to the right of the back windsheild.

-The ignition gets stuck in off, and I really have to wrench the key to get it to even move so I can turn my car on.

-Tires are screeching on sharper turns.

- Center storage box thing, the top of it snapped off because it is made with the cheapest plastic I have ever seen.

- One of the plastic rims looks about to come off, which seems to be a common problem since a lot of Toyota's with plastic rims missing 1 or 2.

- Im getting below average mileage driving like grandma with no AC, Im getting about 21-24 mpg(20% highway, 80% city) which is way below the 27 or 28 for city.

There's some more, but that list is already big. I mean all of this after 3,500 miles?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Sorry to bring back this dead thread, I just wanted you guys to know I didn't go with the G35, my parents never let me and I realize that probably is a good decision right now.

However, the Corolla is in bad shape. I would never reccomend this car to anyone besides a grandma. I have 3,650 miles on the car, I've been more towards the gentle side with it, but certianly not grandma driving.

-Horrible rattle started about 100 miles ago, to the right of the back windsheild.

-The ignition gets stuck in off, and I really have to wrench the key to get it to even move so I can turn my car on.

-Tires are screeching on sharper turns.

- Center storage box thing, the top of it snapped off because it is made with the cheapest plastic I have ever seen.

- One of the plastic rims looks about to come off, which seems to be a common problem since a lot of Toyota's with plastic rims missing 1 or 2.

- Im getting below average mileage driving like grandma with no AC, Im getting about 21-24 mpg(20% highway, 80% city) which is way below the 27 or 28 for city.

There's some more, but that list is already big. I mean all of this after 3,500 miles?
the car is new isnt it? alot of the stuff u mentioned should be covered under warranty. as for the mpg.. 27-28 is the best of best conditions, no hills straight lines, constant slow to set speed limits, none of this 0 to speed limit in 5sec deal stuff. 21-24 is actually really good for majority city... the G's get like 15. i barely get 20-22 mpg for 80%fwy/20% city and its a corolla.. ur not sopost to hit corners fast of course it should screech unless u got some good performance tires on it. most likely u got the regular all weather type

Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Mods! put this in "other car" thread please?>

WTF is this here for?...

*note to self - remove email notification of new posts...

Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by frog
the car is new isnt it? alot of the stuff u mentioned should be covered under warranty. as for the mpg.. 27-28 is the best of best conditions, no hills straight lines, constant slow to set speed limits, none of this 0 to speed limit in 5sec deal stuff. 21-24 is actually really good for majority city... the G's get like 15. i barely get 20-22 mpg for 80%fwy/20% city and its a corolla.. ur not sopost to hit corners fast of course it should screech unless u got some good performance tires on it. most likely u got the regular all weather type
I go slow accel up to speed limit, but usually about 5 over. I don't hit corners fast. It happens on sharp turns and U-turns, I just thought they wouldn't screech after 3,000 miles.

And yea mods, you can move this to the other car section.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the corolla rental for a week, and i got over 30 mpg, 90/ 10 (c/h) ... and there IS NO WAY you are driving it calm, there is something wrong with the car if you are....

Also if you drove a G the way you drive that corolla I PROMISE you would like see about 13 - 14 mpg... so be happy about the 22 and the fact you will be alive to drive a faster car in the future.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by princealyy
I had the corolla rental for a week, and i got over 30 mpg, 90/ 10 (c/h) ... and there IS NO WAY you are driving it calm, there is something wrong with the car if you are....

Also if you drove a G the way you drive that corolla I PROMISE you would like see about 13 - 14 mpg... so be happy about the 22 and the fact you will be alive to drive a faster car in the future.
I think something is wrong with the car. I also heard somewhere that you have to drive the car for a 10,000 break-in period? I thought it was 1000 miles was normal?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Well I love this car had it for two years, insurance is a pain in da a** knew nothing about cars, back then I didnt even know what rear wheel drive was and it snows a lot in chicago so not even 6 months pass and i CRASH like an idiot. My insurance was like 900 a month I was 18 (and at the age your income f***ing sucks), but me and my dad have the same name and we just made it seem like he was the one driving my car so after that it was like 150 a month.

If you can handle the payments then go for it I asked my dad to cosign for me so I could get a better interest. Just do it its the best car you will ever have trust me.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 AM
just tell your parents that a g35 is safer to drive over a corolla. But its better to work for it then having them getting it for you at least you won't be complaining from them alot

Old 07-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lfs2010
Well I love this car had it for two years, insurance is a pain in da a** knew nothing about cars, back then I didnt even know what rear wheel drive was and it snows a lot in chicago so not even 6 months pass and i CRASH like an idiot. My insurance was like 900 a month I was 18 (and at the age your income f***ing sucks), but me and my dad have the same name and we just made it seem like he was the one driving my car so after that it was like 150 a month.

If you can handle the payments then go for it I asked my dad to cosign for me so I could get a better interest. Just do it its the best car you will ever have trust me.
WHOA!! buddy... that is MAJOR illegal.. i dont know if i would post something like that online... i believe that is called... hmmm... lemme think... OH YA INSURANCE FRAUD!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by andyx626
just tell your parents that a g35 is safer to drive over a corolla. But its better to work for it then having them getting it for you at least you won't be complaining from them alot
Ha trust me dude, I tried everything. And the G35 is safer, with more active saftey features too. I think it was traction control or something that reduces car fatalities by 40% and the G has it and the Corolla doesn't.

They aren't sold, I'm just gonna buy the G35 in probably 3-4 years. For some reason, posting on this forum makes the pains of not having one not as bad haha.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
agreed.. why even get a G when you could post threads and talk to g owners on G35DRIVRER??

we should all sell our cars and just talk to each other on here

Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 AM
You made the right choice in keeping it. Most of the issues you listed... as someone else said, should be covered under the warranty. Also, as for the corolla depreciating faster... it's on the initial drop from being a new car. If the market keeps going the way it is, especially gas prices, your car is going to maintain value way better than G's. Hell, G's have already dropped so far in value it's depressing as hell. I've even considered selling my car now just to avoid further loss on it... but then figured what's the point. That low of gas mileage should not be occurring unless it's pure driving habits as everyone else has said a million times. I'm a fairly aggressive driver with my 6MT coupe but I still manage to get around 22mpg average (thought it's more like 66% hwy).

Definitely worth keeping the cheaper car. Hell right now the G's putting me fairly strapped for cash and that's after college, having a real job, ect. Of course my mortgages don't help :P Also if it's any consolation, until I was ~ 19 I was rolling in a '94 Dodge Shadow. 89hp, forest green, caps, the works. I made do with it through tint and some audio work... and after awhile the car grew on me and I started really enjoying driving it. Then I got a '97 chrysler concorde... a huge mistake. I made up for it with my '92 TT stealth though. I thought I'd never like another car other than the 3000GT's but, here I am with a G today. Times change, and you will too. Plus, after you graduate you can find some great deals on the current coupes... do some restore work on it and love the car more than if you bought it out right now. Gives you a nice goal to look forward to :P