unbiased opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
FIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unbiased opinions

Hello everyone.

I have been digging through this site for some time now and one thread got my attention; "what you hate about your G35".

I have been an Acura driver for 10 years and was/am seriously considering switching over to Infiniti products. Do not get me wrong, in all the years of Acura ownership I have never had any problems with thses vehicles. I personally think Acura's are the best all around when it comes to performance/luxuary. Lexus being more luxuary orienated and Infiniti being more performance oriented. German vehicles are out of the question as I despise them with a passion.

My question to all the forum users is this: I am currently in the market for a "newer" used car. I have narrowed my choices to two cars. A 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan w/ performance package. My second choice is a 2007 Acura TL Type S.

After reading through all 55+ pages of "what I hate about my G35" I can conclude that those small annoyances will surely get to me. Especially the soft paint issue as that will surely cause the car to rust prematurely.

I have tested both cars and I feel the TL seems a bit more powerfull, although not on paper. Maybe this can be asscioated to the weight of the G35.

I am really stuck on my decision. Perhaps you guys here can help me to come to a final decision. G35 or TL Type S?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FIA
Hello everyone.

I have been digging through this site for some time now and one thread got my attention; "what you hate about your G35".

I have been an Acura driver for 10 years and was/am seriously considering switching over to Infiniti products. Do not get me wrong, in all the years of Acura ownership I have never had any problems with thses vehicles. I personally think Acura's are the best all around when it comes to performance/luxuary. Lexus being more luxuary orienated and Infiniti being more performance oriented. German vehicles are out of the question as I despise them with a passion.

My question to all the forum users is this: I am currently in the market for a "newer" used car. I have narrowed my choices to two cars. A 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan w/ performance package. My second choice is a 2007 Acura TL Type S.

After reading through all 55+ pages of "what I hate about my G35" I can conclude that those small annoyances will surely get to me. Especially the soft paint issue as that will surely cause the car to rust prematurely.

I have tested both cars and I feel the TL seems a bit more powerfull, although not on paper. Maybe this can be asscioated to the weight of the G35.

I am really stuck on my decision. Perhaps you guys here can help me to come to a final decision. G35 or TL Type S?

Thanks
Well what are you looking for? A daily driver with perfomance? Weekend car?

I've never heard of rust on the exterior of a G35, at least the painted portion. And yes the TL is slightly faster, the type S anyway, because it's lighter than the G35.

Personally, as much as I hate to say it, the Acura TL-S will be a better choice if your looking for a daily. I say this mainly because you live in Candada and FWD will help you in the winter since you have very heavy winters right?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
FIA
thanks for the reply dark.

Yes I am looking for a daily driver, but something with power. I assume the G35 is a daily driver as well.

My boss has a G35 (2003) and he lent it to me for the day. I greatly enjoyed the car but I was not satisfied with the interior quality. I know the later years corrected the interior issues.

Cars are a direct reflection of a persons personality. I am the type that enjoys luxuary, enjoys performance, enjoys peace of mind, reliability, quality, etc...

Are the Infiniti's as reliable as Acura's? What is the cost associated with an Infiniti in terms of servicing?

My cousin in Florida owns a 05 G35 coupe and she tells me to get the Acura TL or Lexus GS. She bought her coupe brand new and for someone to be disgusted with their car like her is undaunting and makes me think twice.

A car is the worst financial investment anyone can make, with the exception of drugs of course, I just want to educate/inform myself. I am sure you guys can understand.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by FIA
thanks for the reply dark.

Yes I am looking for a daily driver, but something with power. I assume the G35 is a daily driver as well.

My boss has a G35 (2003) and he lent it to me for the day. I greatly enjoyed the car but I was not satisfied with the interior quality. I know the later years corrected the interior issues.

Cars are a direct reflection of a persons personality. I am the type that enjoys luxuary, enjoys performance, enjoys peace of mind, reliability, quality, etc...

Are the Infiniti's as reliable as Acura's? What is the cost associated with an Infiniti in terms of servicing?

My cousin in Florida owns a 05 G35 coupe and she tells me to get the Acura TL or Lexus GS. She bought her coupe brand new and for someone to be disgusted with their car like her is undaunting and makes me think twice.

A car is the worst financial investment anyone can make, with the exception of drugs of course, I just want to educate/inform myself. I am sure you guys can understand.
What makes your cousin disgusted with the car? Everyone on here loves their car, hands down. If you lived in an area without heavy snow it would be a G35 hands down. Actually the G35's can be good in snow with a proper set of snow tires, but I believe that a FWD car would be better in the snow for as heavy as it is in Canada.

There basically are no reliabilty issues with the G35, theres OC on the 6MT 05-07 cars, but you get a new motor at no cost to you if you have that. There is also window motor dying and axle click and bose CD problems, but I think all of those were fixed for the 05 and up. As far as interior quality, the G35 is slightly lacking, but the new ones have an outstanding interior. 07+ sedan, and G37.

2 biggest problems would be Infiniti's customer service and rattles.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
FIA
She is disgusted with tire wear and staggered tires, brakes and paint, pretty much everything that was covered in the thread "what you hate about your G35". She too had an Acura prior to purchasing her g35 coupe. Moreso, her farther is a Honda mechanic so I am sure the "I told you so" factor hinders her opinion of the car.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 PM
rwd (g35) > fwd (type-s)

hands down

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Imemerican1
rwd (g35) > fwd (type-s)

hands down
RWD in snow loses though. In any other situation it wins EASILY. If you buy snow tires and just take it easy in the winter, you will do fine with a G35. Did you test drive both the cars yet?

The tire wear is so fast because the car has a lot of hp and people don't realize that lots of hp + lots of gas = tires going down quickly.

Your cousin also didn't have the common sense to buy new pads+rotors and tires that aren't OEM for better, longer lasting perfomance. Also, the G35 does have ****ty brakes in SOME models. I don't know when the exact changes took place, but if you are getting the sports package you for sure have the better brakes which provide excellent stopping power. I think your cousin may have the 1 pot brakes instead of the 2 pot.

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by FIA

dude, have u read acura forums to see what ppl hate about those? I love my G, but there are goign to be little things with EVERY car that u hate. Ultimately, the G will drive better, as a RWD. But, the Acura's interior is probably better, plus I like that they have white interior LED lighting vs orange. G is sleeker, while Acura is a little more boxy, with a more chopped up bumper. A big thing would be if you plan to mod the car, how the Acura responds to mods. The G gets very little power from bolt ons. I dont know about the Acura.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Between an 06 G35 sedan and 07 TL-S, the TL wins on every count in my opinion. Especially on interior and overall build quality. Pre-07 Infiniti's are nice cars but the newer Acura's are just in an entirely different ballpark.

This is coming from the owner of an 05 G35 coupe, but don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my car because I bought it for the exterior looks alone, which I think the COUPE is nearly unrivaled. Not a huge fan of the sedan personally. But sedan or coupe, the car as a whole is pretty reliable, but not compared to what I'm used to from the Toyota and Honda's I've owned in the past.

So if you are going for performance or looks, get the G35. If you are just looking for a solid daily driver, go with the TL.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Cars are a very personal choice - drive both to see which you like. A 2007 Acura will cost more than an older G - how about a newer G in the same price range with the newer interior? Also - G35X - no problems in winter. I think both cars are fairly bulletproof.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by hg35x
Cars are a very personal choice - drive both to see which you like. A 2007 Acura will cost more than an older G - how about a newer G in the same price range with the newer interior? Also - G35X - no problems in winter. I think both cars are fairly bulletproof.
I didn't even think of that. FIA bro, buy a 07 G35x sedan. That is far superior to the Acura TL. 306hp, its AWD in slippery situations but RWD in normal conditions. The interior is MUCH nicer than the old G35 and it is an outstanding car and has no problems that I know of. It's also faster than the TL type S.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The G's reliability and resale value are PROVEN to be superior to the Acura.

The G's performance is PROVEN to be superior to the Acura.

The Acura does have a more plush interior. It is, afterall, a spruced up Accord.

The G's interior is a bit more snug, but then again, this is the same platform the 370z is based on.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I would say if you have snow, go for a g35x, no problems at all, and even with weak paint I dont think you will have rust problems

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
+1 for an 07 G35x.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 sedan vs TL, I'd go with the TL

G35 coupe vs TL, coupe hands down.

G35 coupe and sedan are 2 entirely different animals

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unbiased opinions