The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

ARGH!! So many problems with my 6MT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARGH!! So many problems with my 6MT!!

I'm just making post to vent a little bit because I guess I've been coming up with problem after problem ever since I've had my G I''ve been trying to be a good sport about it all this time but it's just ridiculous that these problems occur one after another. I know my car is almost 4-5 years old now but still, if Infiniti made good quality cars they shouldn't occur so quickly. My family has actually owned many Hondas before and never have I seen any of the Hondas have any of these godamn tedious problems!

When I first bought the car, I was expecting that a used car would have some minor problems but this is just pissing me off! One week after I had owned my G, I realized that the passenger side door would not auto lock. I did some research online and found that people said that it was a common problem in G's and it is most likely the alternator or something of the door. So I brought it into a shop (that's not from the stealership) to get it fixed. That was about 2 months ago.

Today, I found out that the seat on the passenger side of my car JUST died. It was working fine earlier because I went out with my family and there was nothing unusual that happened. What do I mean it died? Basically when the passenger side is folded so that somebody can climb into the back seat, the seat should automatically move forward. And when you collapse the seat back, the seat should automatically move back to the original position. Well, I noticed that didn't happen anymore. So I thought to myself, maybe it's the motor or something? Well, the switch that adjusts the seat to slide back and forth still works. So I don't think it's the motor, I think it might have to be some sort of electronic component which instructs the seat to auto slide back/forth when the seat is folded/uncollapsed.

Here's the real kicker, as I was picking up my gf to go to a coffee shop I realized that the passenger side had already been unlocked. I looked at my driver side and saw that the door was locked. I thought to myself, "This is weird, how come my door is locked but the passenger side isn't?" I ALWAYS lock the doors using the controls on the driver side. So that would mean that in order for me to lock my driver side, I would have used the controls which would mean that it would lock both sides. So having realized this, I quickly tested to see if it was just my imagination or if somethin really was wrong. And what do you know? The f*cking passenger door lock is not working again! It just twitches whenever I use the controls or the fob to unlock/lock the door.

Godamn, I am so choked right now!! I'm sorry that some of you have to see this side of me...but I'm just so choked cuz it seems that problem after problem seem to keep coming. I have brakes which I have to change before the December as my Brembo's are coming to an end as well. There's only been about ~46k KMs on the car and I am so surprised that all these problems are already ocurring.

Can somebody give me any suggestions on how I can fix my seat as well as maybe a DIY guide to opening the passenger side door panels in order for me to check out what the hell is wrong with the door lock? It was only two months ago when I got that thing repaired. I honestly don't suspect that it would be the alternator again?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM
As frustrated as you are at least you dont have the tranny slipping or oil burning, or piston rings frying. I get what your saying but I would be happy it's all small electrical.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles... they can be very frustrating sometimes.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All of those things should be covered by warranty..

Also my 03 coupe the passenger seat does not slide forward when u fold it but my driver side slides forward and back when folded...

Are u sure your passenger side slid back and forth when folded? If so I got to take my car to get it fixed then.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
All of those things should be covered by warranty..

Also my 03 coupe the passenger seat does not slide forward when u fold it but my driver side slides forward and back when folded...

Are u sure your passenger side slid back and forth when folded? If so I got to take my car to get it fixed then.
Yeah I am sure my passenger side slides back and forth automatically when you fold/unfold the chair. It has been sliding back and forth ever since I got the car, so I am 100% positive. However, mine is an '04 and yours is an '03 so I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two years.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you have a few minor problems that can easily be fixed. I, too, have had a bunch of problems with my 6MT, but they involved the transmission, the differential, and even my seat breaking off the rails when I was accelerating on the highway and I landed in the back seat . Get the car fixed, it's still way cheaper to do that than to buy a new one.

Removing the door paneling is pretty easy. There's a screw behind the latch handle, another in the hand grip under a guard, and a whole bunch of plastic snaps. You undo all of those, then you lift the door up parallel to the window, since the top of the door is hooked over the metal of the door. Once you have the panel off, you will see all the mechanicals exposed.

For your seat, I'd first check for loose connections, if you don't see one, take the seat off and look for any wires that broke off the motors or switches. If you still don't see a problem, then it may be time to contact someone who knows these electronics, since debugging electronics you don't know is a pain.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I believe that the seat only moves if door is open and car is not moving and somethin else , it's in the manual I just read it this past weekend. I thought it was weird how the seat sometimes moves and sometimes doesn't so checked it out and it makes sense. Bet thats wat it is since it still slides with the control. So u only really have one problem that they didn't fix right the first time.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
It sounds like you have a few minor problems that can easily be fixed. I, too, have had a bunch of problems with my 6MT, but they involved the transmission, the differential, and even my seat breaking off the rails when I was accelerating on the highway and I landed in the back seat . Get the car fixed, it's still way cheaper to do that than to buy a new one.

Removing the door paneling is pretty easy. There's a screw behind the latch handle, another in the hand grip under a guard, and a whole bunch of plastic snaps. You undo all of those, then you lift the door up parallel to the window, since the top of the door is hooked over the metal of the door. Once you have the panel off, you will see all the mechanicals exposed.

For your seat, I'd first check for loose connections, if you don't see one, take the seat off and look for any wires that broke off the motors or switches. If you still don't see a problem, then it may be time to contact someone who knows these electronics, since debugging electronics you don't know is a pain.
Hey marcinr,

Thanks for the great suggestions on removing the door panel. It seems as though the sliding passenger seat is working automatically again. It's very weird.

I was wondering if you have any insights as to why the passenger side lock is not work again? I just had it fixed like two months ago, and this problem is occuring again. Any ideas? Anybody?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I really wouldn't know, but if it's the same problem, maybe you can go back to the mechanic and tell him that his repair failed? You said that the thing twitches a little bit, which means power is getting to it, so it may be a busted actuator or mechanical binding, or something along those lines. I've never had door lock problems in this car, so I never took apart the mechanism, so I really can't offer any advice.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i hear your pain... these are the repairs i've done this year...

1. both door lock replaced february ( dealer )
2. radio a/c repaired march
3. transmission replaced june ( dealer )
4. gas guage sending unit fixed aug
5. drivers window regulator motor replaced today

#2,#4 & #5 i had to do myself... car is out of warranty... '04 coupe... i've almost had it with this car... like you i bought it used...

Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by av8or
i hear your pain... these are the repairs i've done this year...

1. both door lock replaced february ( dealer )
2. radio a/c repaired march
3. transmission replaced june ( dealer )
4. gas guage sending unit fixed aug
5. drivers window regulator motor replaced today

#2,#4 & #5 i had to do myself... car is out of warranty... '04 coupe... i've almost had it with this car... like you i bought it used...
av8or...i'm wondering if we both bought a lemon and that's why the sellers wanted to sell their car...

for me, i brought the infiniti to the stealership to get a full vehicle inspection before hand though...and i thought if the stealership says it's ok, then it should be ok...well i guess i was wrong...

Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I hate to say it, but the G w/ 6mt is not a car I would want to own w/ out a warranty. I bought an Infiniti extended warranty through my service dept. My recently totaled 6mt got 2 trannys and new engine (I think very uncommon) just before the crash. And I don't abuse my car, took it to the dealer for service religiously and had it on synthetic since 3K miles. After having many auto loaners, it's evident that the 6mt has a completely different personality. Despite my problems I still view the G as a reliable car, loved mine and miss it.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok guys let me chime in and rant about repairs....only not on the G. I'm coming from an 02 M3. Lets see:

Drivers side door stopped unlocking
Door trim kept coming down
ignition coils left me on the side of the road
fuel injector relay left me on the side of the road
leaking rear axle almost left me on the side of the road
rain left me with no headlights
rear trailing arm bushings every 30k
front control arm bushings every 30k
$800 valve adjustments every 30k
harmon kardon sound system rattled more than little kid toys
cd changer would skip over the slightest bump
catalytic converter ($2500)
secondary air pump two weeks after cat

that was the last straw...proud owner of an 06 G-coupe 6mt fully loaded. I know about frustrating problem, may those be the only ones you ever have with the car

Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$2500 for a catalytic converter? are you kidding me? Wow... I've heard from a couple of owners that the e46 m3's were not the most reliable cars.. That they weren't worth owning after the warranty was up...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by serturbo
$2500 for a catalytic converter? are you kidding me? Wow... I've heard from a couple of owners that the e46 m3's were not the most reliable cars.. That they weren't worth owning after the warranty was up...

Nope not kidding you, and that was only one of the two cats on it. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic fantastic cars to drive. Ive never driven anything like it, but like you said once the warranty runs out, so does the cash in your wallet. In all fairness the cat was covered under the federal emissions warranty under 8yrs 80k miles, but my car was at 78k miles lol, I barely made it. Regardless though, love the G and have no regrets.

to the OP didn't mean to hijack your thread, just pointing out that the problems you listed are annoying but can always be worse. Just think of wet panties as you drive past girls checking you out