The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans
View Poll Results: How long do you think your clutch will last (or did it last)?
Less than 10k
3.45%
10k-25k
5.75%
25k-50k
21.84%
50k-100k
43.68%
100k-150k
18.39%
150k+
6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

My "trick" for herky jerky city driving (6mt)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jfats100
Can you explain the reason for why it is bad to skip gears (besides the owner manual saying that)? I have heard this before but never got a really good explanation. I have a fairly good understanding of how MT works, it's a purely mechanical system - in which case, skipping gears would not do any damage (as long as you're rev-matching properly). Anyone got the in-depth mechanical answer for this? (Or a good thread to read?) Thanks.
Skipping gears in an MT is completely harmless, providing that you do proper rev matching. If you don't wait for RPM's to drop enough when upshifting or blip the throttle when downshifting, you stress the syncros and jerk really badly on the downshift.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
Skipping gears in an MT is completely harmless, providing that you do proper rev matching. If you don't wait for RPM's to drop enough when upshifting or blip the throttle when downshifting, you stress the syncros and jerk really badly on the downshift.
Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM
My guide for smooth driving on the 6MT:
When down shifting, rev match.
Up shifting is trickier though, you have to be really quick about getting back on the gas. What makes it jerky, is the on-off due to the drive by wire, and the torque that this motor makes. So, you let off the gas and clutch in simultaneously, select the next gear, let the clutch back out and quickly get back on the gas, with the exact same pedal pressure you had before. If you get on the gas before you let the clutch out, you'll screw it up badly, as your revs will jump up and result in an uncomfortable shift. If you get on the gas too late on the other hand, you will initiate engine braking, causing a weight transfer to the front of the car, which will result in a jolt when you finally do get on the gas, because it'll be a sudden surge of power and a weight transfer to the back of the car.
If you can time the pedal switch at the exact same time, you'll be rewarded with a "perfect" shift. This is a pain to do, imo, because of the annoying laggy drive by wire. I can still do it 90% of the time, but I do get rough shifts the other 10%. I've never had this problem on cars with cable throttle. I'm contemplating getting a Sprint Booster or grounding kit of some sort, because I'm told it helps with the response time of the throttle.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
1 to 3 FTW, starting in 2 is for pansies!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by johnhanson007

On a related note, my tech at Infiniti said 6000k oilchanges are for douches. Now I change synthetic every 1500k! My oil has never been cleaner, plus he says I'm getting like +25whp! woot!

1500k? Dude you're an idiot.

Needs to be changed at 1000 even, any further can harm the exhaust system and the sunroof. My Dad told me this and he owns a TV repair shop, so he knows what he's talking about.

The following users liked this post:
Astro Bunni (09-11-2019)
Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jabrother
So it's not that I don't know how to drive smooth it's just that it takes more effort than it should, in a 35g + sports coupe.
Starting in second and slipping the clutch takes (A) WAY more thought (B) WAY more effort and (C) is WAY more stress on your drivetrain components than starting normally from 1st.

I'm really perplexed by this - Occam's razor suggests you suck at driving a manual transmission.

Originally Posted by ItsYaBoi
lol at you MT drivers!!!! auto all the way baby
You, sir, are an idiot.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dgs
1500k? Dude you're an idiot.

Needs to be changed at 1000 even, any further can harm the exhaust system and the sunroof. My dad told me this and he owns a tv repair shop, so he knows what he's talking about.
u win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 AM
just start at 1st. only time u start in second (not really start) is when ur rolling

Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The main culprit for the jerky shifting is our engagement point for the clutch. It way to high or to 'late'. By the time the clutches engages, you're foot is already almost off the clutch. So there is only a small amount of travel for you to balance the clutch and the gas.

It is possible to get a smooth shift, but you have to try really really hard. Even after 2 years I still have to try really hard to get it shift smoothly.

On other cars, the engagement point is in the middle. Which makes it easier to balance the clutch and gas. It feels more natural.

Like on a S2k. You don't have try at all. It's just a smooth shift.
---------

Basically, once you hit the engagement point, you have to slowly release the clutch and not just let go. If you release to early, the car will jerk.

On other cars, the clutch is already fully engage so it's okay to step off the clutch early.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Do aftermarket clutches have different engagement points as our 6MTs?
If so i guess that would be the only way to adjust engagement.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 AM
As everyone has said just drive the car like its meant and dont dump the clutch and it will be fine... Starting in 2nd gear is going to do more damage than good in the long run

Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jabrother
Hi Everybody,

City driving in my 07 G Coupe can be very rough - I especially noticed the other day with a friend aboard getting jostled around when shifting. So I discovered a new trick that seems to work well for me. I start out in 2nd and shift to 4th around 3000 revs. Makes for very smooth city driving under light/mod accel. Of course if the need arises I can revert to traditional shifting. Yes you have to slip the clutch to start in 2nd but surprisingly doesn't take much to get going and it's very smooth if you do it right... just takes a little practice. Besides, my clutch, at 20k miles, already feels messed up (takes up in different points sometimes and is not progressive) so I don't think it's a big deal since it'll probably fail prematurely anyway. Maybe this will help you if you're having trouble driving smoothly in the city.

Cheers!

James
This guys slips his clutch in 2nd gear, is causing premature wear on his clutch because he can't seem to shift into first and tells us hes found a trick! who are u kidding bud???

Look up REV-MATCHING before you start trying to reinvent the wheel ok...

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Morovasa
As everyone has said just drive the car like its meant and dont dump the clutch and it will be fine... Starting in 2nd gear is going to do more damage than good in the long run
Who needs a clutch for shifting?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM
The G35 naturally is a jerky-shift car. I've had 3 manual transmission vehicles prior, and I've never had to try so hard to get a smooth shift to where I don't see my girl's head shift forward in my peripheral vision. Even my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 which has a stiffer clutch wasn't as bad.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Twinsen
The G35 naturally is a jerky-shift car. I've had 3 manual transmission vehicles prior, and I've never had to try so hard to get a smooth shift to where I don't see my girl's head shift forward in my peripheral vision. Even my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 which has a stiffer clutch wasn't as bad.
esp. 2003-2005 quoted from some buddies "its one of the hardest cars to learn how to drive stick in"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My "trick" for herky jerky city driving (6mt)