G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Where the hell is the wheel lock key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Where the hell is the wheel lock key?

Hi fellers,

So I am an owner of a used '04 G35x and I suffered my first flat tire. Ran over a sharp piece of metal and it punctured a nice dime sized hole in it.

I saw it last morning and said to myself "flat tire, no big deal, I will simply raise the car on the factory jack, take out the donut (didn't know Infiniti doesn't roll like that. They had a full sized tire with the same OEM rims!!!)."

As I was saying, I raised the car and started loosening the lugs. I loosened 4 of them and when I got to number 5 it looked a bit different. I was like "wtf? why does this look different?"

So I run back to the forum and start searching for "funny looking lug nut" and to my surprise realized it was a 'wheel lock'. Apparently too many Gitizens were getting their wheels stolen so Infiniti decided to put locks on them.

I tried to search for wheel lock key location and some of you geezers are saying its near the spare tire or something. Well guess what? I looked everywhere. Its not there! Nothing in the glove compartment, arm rest, jack toolkit, and not even in the little secret hole in the rear arm rest.

This little automobile has got me stumped. What the hell do I do now? I am stuck with a flat tire that won't come off. I took a walk around the car and all four wheels have this funny looking lug nut aka wheel lock. What happens when those tires go bad?

Boy, what did I get myself into. I should've stayed with my '96 Camry. (May be not, but I am just saying, why Infiniti? Why shall you play these little games with us car noobs? Porque? - PS: I'm no Spanish so dont reply in it)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they stock wheels? If so, call the dealership and see if they have any spare wheel locks..

Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
You're having regrets because your car is protected with wheel locks? LOL As if Infiniti is the only company that puts wheel locks on? LOL

You bought the car used. Should have checked for the wheel lock. Now, assuming you have the OEM Nissan wheel locks, take your car to the dealer and they can take them off for you.

PS - you're not the first to have had this problem.

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
I lost my mcguard key once too. I took a 3/4" 12 point socket and hammered it onto the lock lug. It takes some swinging, but it will go on. It needs to go on a 1/4-1/2", then tray and turn the lug loose. It worked for me on all four. I'd advise that you put sonr rags or somthing around your rim where you are swinging the hammer so you dont miss and damage your wheel. Good luch.
Originally Posted by kev301
If its the factory lock, the dealer can take it off with the master key. I lost mine and i had the dealer take off for free because i purchase the lock from them. The lock was was 30.00 and it took like 10 mins plus you would get a new set of lock and a new key.
Originally Posted by j-velocity
I lost my lug nuts too and the dealer took it off for me and put a new set on.
It cost me $20 for taking it off and $30 for the new set.
Originally Posted by nosey
thanks everyone...i went to the dealer as well...they did everything for 65...herd chamber of boston is such a rip off...i cant believe they charged me 45 for the lug nuts...anyways..im just glad i got ones i can remove...finally i can put my rims on tonight...heheh...pics will be posted on another thread hehe
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
thats a factory lug key... the dealer should have a master set and be able to take it off for you... but you might have to buy another set... or just take all of them off and replace with normal lugs
Originally Posted by gary c
Spend about five minutes hitting the lock with freon
then smack it with a hammer and it will explode in
several chunks. At least it won't be a lock anymore.
Living life thru chemistry..........or did you look in
the glovebox for the key?
Originally Posted by Esoteric
I just went through this exact scenario. I went to change my springs this weekend, and realized that somehow I had misplaced the wheel lock.

I went to the dealer, and they told me I could order locks by quoting the number on the package that came with my original locks. Since I couldn't find the package and didn't want to wait a week for the new locks to come in, I just had them remove the locks from my car with a master, and bought new ones.

I wont lose thes new ones!
Originally Posted by BigSash
yep easiest solution is to rip em off (destroying them) and buy new ones

Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys. The wheels are OEM but I dunno about the lock. You think its OEM? It is a 5 clovered flower shaped nut.

So I have just use a hammer to crack that thing open? Sweet!

But is there an answer to my question? Is the wheel lock key near the spare tire? If so, where exactly can it be found?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Overglorified Altima
The previous owner may have misplaced the key. There is not "specified" location for it, but most people keep it in the glove box or center console.

I'd recommend taking it to the dealer to have them removed and/or to purchase a key.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Overglorified Altima
And yes, those sound like the OEM Nissan wheel locks.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Funny thing! I have the lug lock key but i dont have any locking lug nuts lol. it was in the car when i bought it. I have no idea why it would be there if i dont have the lug nuts.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
We have a master set of Lock Keys here at the Dealership. If it is a stock lock then we can remove it for you and do one of three things after that. Order another key for you after we figure out the code using our master set. Remove your locks and sell you another set with a key or replace with standard lug nuts.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Are wheel locks standard??

My G35 has all normal lug nuts. No wheel locks at all. I kinda thought it was funny when i bought the car that it didn't have them

Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I got mine in December, it had locking lugs on it. But no key. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the standard OEM locking kit. They would sell me the whole kit (with another 4 lugs and a key) or they could take off the lock lugs for me. They had some spare lug nuts (most likely from people getting the locking kits installed). About 10 minutes later, they had the car out front for me. They didn't charge me either.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Damn I'm having the same problem... I might try hammering a socket on there since the Infiniti dealer here quoted me NINETY dollars to remove the locks!! F that noise!

So, either 12 point 3/4" socket, or get one of those damaged nut removal kits that have sockets with gnarled insides that bite onto the lock so you can unbolt it.

Maybe something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...t+removal#desc

Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Are wheel locks standard??

My G35 has all normal lug nuts. No wheel locks at all. I kinda thought it was funny when i bought the car that it didn't have them
Same here, factory and no locks. I had a VW Jetta with crap wheels and tires, and they had locks on them.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by jetdoc
Same here, factory and no locks. I had a VW Jetta with crap wheels and tires, and they had locks on them.
VW with crap wheels i owned a jetta the whole car is junk

Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Hahah, well we were talking wheel locks specifically, however I never had any mechanical issues with mine at the time of trade in.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
Damn I'm having the same problem... I might try hammering a socket on there since the Infiniti dealer here quoted me NINETY dollars to remove the locks!! F that noise!

So, either 12 point 3/4" socket, or get one of those damaged nut removal kits that have sockets with gnarled insides that bite onto the lock so you can unbolt it.

Maybe something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...t+removal#desc
Can't you just buy the oem lock lug kit for about $35?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where the hell is the wheel lock key?