The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

new rotors on OEM calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:16 AM
I personally don't like Hawk pads myself as well even though a lot of people do. My reasons are opinion based rather than fact, so i won't get into why.

Old 04-24-2009 | 10:12 PM
|
thanks everyone.. i will not get the drilled cuz i don't want any type of cracking problems.. maybe later when i get some more money i'll get the bembo kit.. right now i'm thinking about the slotted rotors.. not sure on the pads .. i was gonna try the hawk pads but i see they not to great as the hype..

Old 04-25-2009 | 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dubi2087
I purchased Project Mu and I love them.
+1

They're not expensive, and they work great... better than most other aggressive street pads.

Old 04-25-2009 | 12:19 AM
I had a stop tech stage 2 kit . It included the cross drilled and slotted rotors for usage with stock calipers. Nothing special needed to be done. They will last longer than the stock stuff

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by tammer
I had a stop tech stage 2 kit . It included the cross drilled and slotted rotors for usage with stock calipers. Nothing special needed to be done. They will last longer than the stock stuff
how did you like them and howcome u no longer have it?

Old 05-29-2009 | 10:17 AM
New Rotors/OEM Calipers

Most company's sell replacement rotors so there's no issue installing them. Get either Hawk HP or Project Mu pads, they're not expensive and you'll eliminate 80% of the brake dust. If you install either pad do a search and find the break/bed in process, having done this you won't have issues with squeaks or noise of any kind. Best prices on what you're looking for can be found under our own MARKETPLACE....G/L
Gary

Old 05-30-2009 | 05:11 PM
So, without starting a new thread, what's the most cost effective way to get better stopping power? My driving style lends itself to needing more stopping power than it does acceleration. Excuse my n00b ways, because that's exactly what I am when it comes to cars. Anything I have done will have to be installed by someone else - by default, that means I don't know sh*t. I'm learning from you guys, though.

Old 05-30-2009 | 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by BourbonNcigars
So, without starting a new thread, what's the most cost effective way to get better stopping power? My driving style lends itself to needing more stopping power than it does acceleration. Excuse my n00b ways, because that's exactly what I am when it comes to cars. Anything I have done will have to be installed by someone else - by default, that means I don't know sh*t. I'm learning from you guys, though.
It sounds like you'd like to learn so do a SEARCH on installing what ever it is you want to mod....example: Intake Install or Z-Tube Install. This way you can see how it's installed and refer back to it while doing it....understand? There's nothing ever wrong with asking questions....but do a Search first! Another way to learn is to hook up with one of our members in your area and ask
for help....most of us will take the time to show you how....=)
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-30-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2009 | 05:41 PM
StopTech makes an slotted OE style rotor with OE prices. Got mine from Riverside Infiniti along with OEM rear pads and Hawk front pads. Im very happy with the looks and function. Price was very very good.

Old 05-30-2009 | 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
It sounds like you'd like to learn so do a SEARCH on installing what ever it is you want to mod....example: Intake Install or Z-Tube Install. This way you can see how it's installed and refer back to it while doing it....understand? There's nothing ever wrong with asking questions....but do a Search first! Another way to learn is to hook up with one of our members in your area and ask
for help....most of us will take the time to show you how....=)
Gary
Thanks for the less than cordially reply. I've been a member/moderator of more internet forums than most people have fingers and toes, so I know how this works.

It's always been my experience that keeping threads (even if they're only semi-relevant to the question) alive and active is better for keeping track of information. I would expect a member with as many posts as you have to understand this.

The "try a search" is the most rude response anyone can give.

Old 05-30-2009 | 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
What makes a rotor truely better?? The quality of the metal used. Sometimes i wish they provided material cert sheets with the rotors to show what type of metals they were made from. But typically cheap rotors use cheap steels and expensive rotors use quality steel which has been stress reduced to allow even distribution of heat to reduce "warpage" (due to pad friction material transfer)
rotors.
Great and informative post, but small nit; good brake rotors are plain old iron, it has much better heat capacity than steel.

Old 05-30-2009 | 06:05 PM
How are you finding that your stopping power is lacking? Do your ties slip, does ABS kick in, do brakes get weaker after a lot of braking, or does it seem like the brakes aren't strong enough to stop the wheels. Each of these will have a different answer.

Old 05-30-2009 | 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
How are you finding that your stopping power is lacking? Do your ties slip, does ABS kick in, do brakes get weaker after a lot of braking, or does it seem like the brakes aren't strong enough to stop the wheels. Each of these will have a different answer.
Thanks for the proper response, Marcinr (unlike some). Actually, I just want my brakes to be overly powerful to fit my love of slowing down violently before a turn. I've been babying my car, but can't stand it anymore. I want to it to have massive braking power when called upon. I guess the easiest way for me to describe my current situation (with regards to braking), is that it doesn't stop as fast as I want it to. Not sure that helps any, though. I love HUGE stopping power.

Old 05-30-2009 | 08:22 PM
Thanks for the proper response, Marcinr (unlike some). Actually, I just want my brakes to be overly powerful to fit my love of slowing down violently before a turn. I've been babying my car, but can't stand it anymore. I want to it to have massive braking power when called upon. I guess the easiest way for me to describe my current situation (with regards to braking), is that it doesn't stop as fast as I want it to. Not sure that helps any, though. I love HUGE stopping power.
im lookin at gettin stoptech's stage 2 kit which is everything but the calipers (rotors, pads, fluid, and steel-braided brake lines)... but if your experiencing lots of brake fade and your doing lots of track time, i think the only way to get what you want is to go all out and get a BBK, and just for the front, starting prices are around $2000 or so and go up from there... i would love a BBK myself but since i dont need it im gunna save some money and probably go for stoptechs stage 2 kit.. oem sized drilled/slotted rotors are pretty much just for looks as far as i understand - the big difference is gunna come from the steel-braided brake lines

Old 05-30-2009 | 11:24 PM
when i replaced my brakes i ordered the hawk pads from cvr motorsports(there a vendor on this group and will give you a good price), i just put oem rotors on and called it a day, our cars have pretty good braks already

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new rotors on OEM calipers