The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

new rotors on OEM calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by BourbonNcigars
Thanks for the less than cordially reply. I've been a member/moderator of more internet forums than most people have fingers and toes, so I know how this works.
It's always been my experience that keeping threads (even if they're only semi-relevant to the question) alive and active is better for keeping track of information. I would expect a member with as many posts as you have to understand this.
The "try a search" is the most rude response anyone can give.
What....? You have 22 post here on Driver, how are we supposed to know what your abilities are on our site? You mentioned you don't know **** about cars so my intention was to get you as much information as possible. If you're going to be a little pr!ck, take a hike! Less than cordial reply my azz....
Gary

Old 05-31-2009 | 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by BourbonNcigars
Thanks for the proper response, Marcinr (unlike some). Actually, I just want my brakes to be overly powerful to fit my love of slowing down violently before a turn. I've been babying my car, but can't stand it anymore. I want to it to have massive braking power when called upon. I guess the easiest way for me to describe my current situation (with regards to braking), is that it doesn't stop as fast as I want it to. Not sure that helps any, though. I love HUGE stopping power.
I have a G35 sedan, and I've found that the stock brakes have fantastic stopping power, they're capable of locking the wheels with high performance summer tires on the wheels. If the brakes can lock your wheels, you can't stop faster on those tires, so the first step would be better tires, like R-compound or something, since those are much grippier when they're warm.

When you have grippy tires, the stock brakes may not be strong enough to overcome the tires anymore, so you can cure this with more aggressive pads (which eat more into the rotor). The OEM setup will build up a lot of heat after several hard stops, and you'll notice some brake fade, that's what a big brake kit (BBK) fixes, since BBK's can soak up much more heat and they dissipate it faster.

Fundamentally, though, the G35 is a heavy car and while you can make it stop pretty well, it's not going to be one of those life changing moments you get in small, light cars. The stock brakes are plenty strong, and BBK's don't generally help stopping power very much, they improve fade resistance. Stopping power is about friction between road and tire and between brake and rotor, so you improve those to improve the braking force.