The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Tips for convincing Dad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going to sound mean but I certainly don't want it to come across that way but how about just doing the deal yourself??? Save up YOUR money, and or do YOUR own financing. Mom and dad won't be there forever. My parents are very well off and they have never help me purchase a car. Doing the deal yourself will even make you appreciate the car more than if your parents help you with it. Just my .2 cents.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP how old are you? If your like under 18 I say stick with the truck. More then likely you will hurt yourself if your really young and immature in a G. And do what the one guy said and talk to your mom. She can always convince dad.

Another thing I did to get my G was just make sure I pay for everything on the car. I traded in my car that my dad bought and told him I will pay for every thing gas, insurance, and service, and modding. He doesnt care since I have it under his name so I get cheaper insurance. As long as I let him drive it every once in a while he could care less.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How about you thank your dad for buying you a nice truck in the first place. My twin brother and I each worked and saved up our own money to buy an 84 Mustang, wasn't even a V8 either. It was around 2k at the time IIRC. Looking back I'm glad, it makes me appreciate the things I work hard for a lot more. My 11 year old has already started in on the G when he turns 16. I tell him "no, end of discussion".

Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 17. As for the truck, we got it for 20k, and I saved up and pitched in 10k, and i do have an appreciation for it, I have just always wanted a G and I am not a big fan of driving a truck. Also my parents are a little concerned with the cost of insurance, any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies so far

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
You bought the truck for 20K and 4 years later expect to get 18K?... only 10% less???... it’s not gonna happen… please don’t think you’re gonna stay close to purchase price because of mods – I have many times more $$$$ in mods and I’d be lucky to get 30% less than I originally paid.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by twin001
How about you thank your dad for buying you a nice truck in the first place. My twin brother and I each worked and saved up our own money to buy an 84 Mustang, wasn't even a V8 either. It was around 2k at the time IIRC. Looking back I'm glad, it makes me appreciate the things I work hard for a lot more. My 11 year old has already started in on the G when he turns 16. I tell him "no, end of discussion".

No kidding. I wish i had a nice car like a G35 of even a 4 year old Tacoma when i was 16-18. Instead i had to save up my own money and buy some $4000 car.

I was only in HS 10 years ago and even went to a private school and still my parking lot was filled with 10+ year old cars. Once in a rare while someone's parents let them borrow the benz, or lexus, but everyone pretty much drove used Explorers, or Taurus, or maybe a buick here and there. The spoiled kids got a 6 year old Mustang v6 if they were lucky And i graduated in 1999 too!

Nowadays i drive by the local HS and all the kids have cars less than 5 years old and some prob worth more than my G35. I see benz's, lexus's, $4000 civics with $5000 rims, Escalades with rims, a lot of brand new scions driven by 16 year old girls. I live in a middle class area...not even a very wealthy area. Hell i make 6 figures and drive a 4 year old pre-owned G35! What am i doing wrong here.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
You bought the truck for 20K and 4 years later expect to get 18K?... only 10% less
I did a quick KBB

Base model Tacoma retails $10K

Fully loaded crew cab 4WD with every option...$18K.

That;s excellent condition too. Average condition was about $1K less.

If they paid $20K for it new, i'm guessing it was a base model.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
No kidding. I wish i had a nice car like a G35 of even a 4 year old Tacoma when i was 16-18. Instead i had to save up my own money and buy some $4000 car.

I was only in HS 10 years ago and even went to a private school and still my parking lot was filled with 10+ year old cars. Once in a rare while someone's parents let them borrow the benz, or lexus, but everyone pretty much drove used Explorers, or Taurus, or maybe a buick here and there. The spoiled kids got a 6 year old Mustang v6 if they were lucky And i graduated in 1999 too!

Nowadays i drive by the local HS and all the kids have cars less than 5 years old and some prob worth more than my G35. I see benz's, lexus's, $4000 civics with $5000 rims, Escalades with rims, a lot of brand new scions driven by 16 year old girls. I live in a middle class area...not even a very wealthy area. Hell i make 6 figures and drive a 4 year old pre-owned G35! What am i doing wrong here.
You need to remember that cars are cheaper now, getting a car that is 5 years old is pretty easy to do for less than $15,000 Kids at my school are dumb, they buy all their cars brand new with 0 options for $20,000 and then they complain that I have a G that I paid almost half of that for..... I never understood buying new, I will never buy a car new.

Last year there were these brothers that both drove M3s but I am pretty sure they sold coke....

As for the OP, you looking at a coupe or sedan? Coupe is a hard sell since your insurance will be around 5 grand or more. The sedan is easy to convince, it has space, very safe and is still a 4 door. (and just as fast as coupes ) Sedans are also quite a lot cheaper so you could buy a sedan for say $13,000 and drop $4,000 of mods in right away and have it looking way better than a coupe with $1000 worth of mods, know what I'm saying?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
^+1. For the record, i am 18. I had a Trailblazer that my mom had that i was driving. Truck was good, but we decided a car was a little more economical and they wanted something reliable.

We had an 04 G35x that both my parents loved, so with a budget and a plan to pay for part of it, both my parents were go..

My mom works for allstate and would never let me drive around in a 4k beater Neon or Civic or something with tons of miles and would probably kill me if i ever got in an accident.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Get a G, then debadge the names completely and replace the Mt. Fuji's with the Toyota emblem. They're very similar in size. I'm sure your Dad won't notice. (of course, you'll also have to remove the 75-80 Infiniti name/Mt. Fuji emblems inside the car)

EDIT: If he's looking for maximum reliability, then you've got a tough case arguing against Toyota/Lexus. Infiniti is very good, but probably only a solid #3 behind Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura.
BS

I say VQ is right at the top of the list.

most of it depends on how you treat the car. Take care of it well and it'll take care of you. My cousin has a maxima with 290k on original VQ motor and tranny.

Most of the toyota reliability comes from the owners. Prolly 99% of toyota owners are older people that barely get those cars to 3k rpm therefore keeping those cars "reliable"

As far as safety your dad is high oh crack for saying that cars are not as save as the trucks. Sure it could be on frame and all but G35 is a luxury SPORTS car. Sports cars are usually designed to go fast, so they build them to take an impacts at the high speeds. So there is no way that your Tacoma is safer then G35.

Out of all the crashed G's I've seen on this forum I am very impressed on how the G handles it self in the crash.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
easiest way is to come up with some cash so that your dad knows your commited and that you have the funds to support the cost of the G, because i really dont think you will be able to do an even trade for the G with your truck

money talks bullchit walks memeber that, even with family members

Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobleswede
I am 17. As for the truck, we got it for 20k, and I saved up and pitched in 10k, and i do have an appreciation for it, I have just always wanted a G and I am not a big fan of driving a truck. Also my parents are a little concerned with the cost of insurance, any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies so far
Insurance deff gonna suck major *****

It's a sports car and it's gonna be hella expensive to insure it.

There is a way to go around it though (not with every policy/company tho)

Insurance is purchased for the car and not for the driver.
If your friend visits you from another state and drives your car during the visit and crashes it INS will cover it if there was a policy on the car

So if your dad gets a policy on the car without you and you get into an accident the policy will still cover it unless the policy is written in a specific way and does not cover people living at the same address as the primary policy holder.

Federal law requires to have a vehicle insured and not the driver. This is just additional BS that insurance companies have costumers go through to get more $.

So if you want to go that route your dad can get a policy on his name, naming him as the driver of the car and that's it. But make sure you know for sure that insurance will cover the accident if any other family member gets into an accident that is not listed as a driver on the policy but lives at the same address as the primary policy holder.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just sit with your dad and tell him straight up man to man... that you want a infiniti...
if i was your dad i would probably say no, because it's handy sometimes to have a pick up truck around the house. lol

Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by smr514
just sit with your dad and tell him straight up man to man... that you want a infiniti...
if i was your dad i would probably say no, because it's handy sometimes to have a pick up truck around the house. lol
yep - my DD is a full size truck, it definitely comes in handy.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
BS
I say VQ is right at the top of the list.
Call it what you want, but there are alot more elements to reliability than the engine. And while the VQ is a truly outstanding engine, I don't know that it's any more reliable than a Toyota or Honda engine. But Nissan is definitely a half step behind both of them when it comes to all the little sh*t on a car. Ask your Maxima friend how many window regulator units he replaced. I did 3 in mine. How about the Bose speakers? Top quality stuff there.

Originally Posted by JOKER
Most of the toyota reliability comes from the owners. Prolly 99% of toyota owners are older people that barely get those cars to 3k rpm therefore keeping those cars "reliable".
Now there's some BS for you. What orifice did you pull these stats from? If most reliability comes from the owner, then I guess Dodge and Chrysler can blame all their problems on the people who bought their cars instead of the quality control department. Lucky for Toyota and Honda all their buyers over the last 20-25 years were so meticulous about maintenance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips for convincing Dad