The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Tips for convincing Dad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just be happy with what you have. you're still young, and by the time you turn 21 you're going to want a different car.

i can sit here and lecture you about how to be appreciated that you even have a car, but i wont waste my time and yours. i know where you stand because i'm in the same position as you are. i dont have a G but i do want one. i've been driving a 96 isuzu for about 7 years now and im not complaining, mainly because my brother gave it to me for free.

dont get me wrong, i've tried convincing my dad to help me buy a new car. but i thought about how much he's gone through and it would be selfish of me to take money from him for my benefit, when i have a perfectly good working car (despite gas mileage). anyways, sorry for the long speech, just had to say it.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Call it what you want, but there are alot more elements to reliability than the engine. And while the VQ is a truly outstanding engine, I don't know that it's any more reliable than a Toyota or Honda engine. But Nissan is definitely a half step behind both of them when it comes to all the little sh*t on a car. Ask your Maxima friend how many window regulator units he replaced. I did 3 in mine. How about the Bose speakers? Top quality stuff there.

I agree. Out of the Japanese "big three", Nissan ranks last in reliability. In fact, of all the car manufacturers, they rate average in terms of repairs per 100 vehicles. I actually think Ford has surpassed them in quality in the last few years.

Of you look around the forums, there are plenty of cars that have issues. The engine might be awesome, but what about some of the common G35 issues? Oil consumption, leaking VC's, rear axle click, compression rods, HVAC and radio board short circuiting, 6MT clutch and trans probs, etc. Those are common G35 probs and anyone who buys one might expect to have to deal with one of those issues. I've already been in for one warranty service and now how another couple issues to go back for shortly.

Car's break. Even Toyotas have service departments. To assume if you buy a Japanese car you'll never have to fix anything it a little nieve. Even if they break less often, parts are 2X or 3X the cost of domestic equivalents.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Say what you will, Japanese cars are much more reliable that domestics and have been since I’ve been old enough to drive.

Honda, Nissan, Toyota, they’re all good and I would drive/own any of them (and have). I happen to like Nissan’s performance and race heritage.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Try to earn your dad's trust and suck up to him every chance you get. Once you've convince him to go look at one at the dealership....I'm sure he'll be hook. Only problem might be that he would want it for himself

Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by dineth00i30
What Gary said. Be honest, tell him, you dont belong in the Tacoma, and you can get better gas mileage and be more comfertable in the G and that with the prices of the G's being so low that you can save a couple G's for a rainy day. Dont tell him its for mods.(so much about being honest. lol).

I just showed my mom the problems i have with my car, and now she is illing to buy me a new car but i have to save up money first.

2k Infiniti i30 - 8k Headlights and 3k Fogs, 35% Front and 5% Rear Tint, ActiveTuning Grounding Kit, Clear corners with LED's and Licence Plate LED's, Black Roof Vinyl, Half Sized Roof Spoiler,MTX Jack Hammer Sub with 400w Amp, Debadged Trunk.
Dude, there is NO way, a TRUE MTX Jack Hammer would fit in your trunk. It's like 12feet long, and requires a LOT more than a 400w AMP. I declare BS!

As far as getting rid of the Tacoma, put the G and the Toyota side by side. If your dad has any amount of braincells you won't need to do any talking.

DOMO

Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
one reason i got the G was because its safe and the brakes are good lol

Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically just be his dog, and constantly remind him everyday about the car at the same time. Tell him how good and reliable the car is, its ranked one of the the top ten engines and blah blah. +1 on the mom part, they always listen and can convince your dad easier.

At the same time dont try to be selffish, appreciate what you have but if ur dad has some guap and your a good kid and think your deserve it then do as i said above.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I think the clear argument is how much more p$$y you can get in the G. If your dad doesn't feel that something is very wrong

Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Phantoms
I think the clear argument is how much more p$$y you can get in the G. If your dad doesn't feel that something is very wrong
haha well youve got a point there!

Yeah ive been pretty much a perfect kid lately(chores, etc) and i keep reminding him about the car and I think its working

hopefully it works out i want a G soo badly i already have a to-do list of mods