The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G37 engine in G35???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009 | 05:28 PM
Banned
In the Engine DIY section theres a dude who put an ls2 in his 04z, that thing is a beast.

Old 10-27-2009 | 05:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Mercinator
In the Engine DIY section theres a dude who put an ls2 in his 04z, that thing is a beast.
I agree... If I ever do an engine swap, there will be two more cylinders in the motor I think. The LS2 will weigh less I believe but I have thought about taking a Titan 5.6 and putting that in my car instead of building up a my motor and going with twins. I think I have seen that on YouTube....Nut could be wrong.

Old 07-25-2012 | 12:39 AM
A guy asks a simple question and everybody just talks about how much money it would cost and what it would be better to do. I think the main question that I was google searching is if a G37 long block and fit and bolt up to the frame and transmission of a G35. I've been through highly modifying cars and I bought my G35 coupe to not modify it and was thinking about selling it to get a G37, but the main reason I won't is because you cannot put an aftermarket head unit into the G37. But I want the engine. I don't want a loud modified car anymore. I don't care how many people out there who have done twin turbo and supercharged kits. No matter what it is not as reliable and don't want to go down that road again. I owned a highly modified 2nd Gen Eclipse AWD Turbo car before my G. I just want to stick to a fast naturally aspirated car.

Old 07-25-2012 | 12:08 PM
i guess only two options one trade in and get a 37 but that hp comes with weight which doesn't really offset it, and others always say go FI

Old 07-25-2012 | 03:01 PM
I'll answer your question. Since you are concerned about rebuilt blocks. Go to the Infiniti/Nissan dealer and look into getting a factory crate motor. It may cost a little more but it will be factory built and I'm sure will carry some kind of a warranty. You will be able to use all your existing parts heads, etc.

Old 07-25-2012 | 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by InvaderG35
A guy asks a simple question and everybody just talks about how much money it would cost and what it would be better to do. I think the main question that I was google searching is if a G37 long block and fit and bolt up to the frame and transmission of a G35. I've been through highly modifying cars and I bought my G35 coupe to not modify it and was thinking about selling it to get a G37, but the main reason I won't is because you cannot put an aftermarket head unit into the G37. But I want the engine. I don't want a loud modified car anymore. I don't care how many people out there who have done twin turbo and supercharged kits. No matter what it is not as reliable and don't want to go down that road again. I owned a highly modified 2nd Gen Eclipse AWD Turbo car before my G. I just want to stick to a fast naturally aspirated car.
First off, welcome to G35Driver, hope you enjoy your stay.

Secondly - in the 3 years that have past since the original post, it still doesn't make sense, financially to do that swap. A lot of people have done a lot of **** to these cars with varying degrees of success, but there still isn't (3 years later) a viable / simple / affordable "kit" or set of standards out there for throwing the VQ37 into a G35.

Third - Don't get all pissy about people looking at how much stuff costs when he asks something that is anything but a simple question. Even the (smart) rich people out there worry about cost and return on investment and risk vs reward, etc etc. For the cost of being among the first to make that swap work you could have a built twin turbo VQ35 or a swapped 2JZ or a swapped LS2 or any number of other options, and still be putting down more power - and if you wanted to keep it N/A you'd be able to do so on a smallblock Chevy block that, if you started with a brand spankin' new crate engine would still have the reliability of a brand new engine.

Will a VQ37 bolt up you ask? Well, my answer would be - if that's the first question you ask and not "Can the electronics support this platform" or something similar it's not a good swap for you. For reference, it's not a direct fit with the transmission, I don't know if there are adapter plates out there, but if you were slick enough you could probably make one. Likewise with engine mounts, you can fab anything you want to get it to bolt in. Whether or not it'll ever work as a 'turn-key' car is an entirely different story. Mounting **** is the easy part...

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:48 PM
There's 2 guys on the forum with the 3.5hr swap there's a thread somwhere eithier way a first gen g coupe with a hr would b sick

Old 09-27-2020 | 01:54 PM
Bone stock
Could I get help with that swap because I'm soon going to a G35 and Want to G37 swap it.

Old 09-27-2020 | 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: Army
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Yoji Holmes
Could I get help with that swap because I'm soon going to a G35 and Want to G37 swap it.
Don't forget the wiring harness to go with it

Old 09-27-2020 | 02:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Premier Member
Swapping to the VQ37VHR that comes in the G37 is a significantly bigger project than swapping to the VQ35HR. The VHR motor uses an entirely different CANBUS system so it can't communicate to any of the existing systems in the G35 like the instrument cluster. Swapping to the HR motor is simpler because it uses the same CANBUS system as the VQ35DE.

Both are still a big project, like any engine swap. Lots of custom work required throughout the car, it's not a bolt-in swap by any means. If you've never done any engine swap project before you need to do a LOT of research, there is no single DIY guide for something that complex. There are a few threads scattered across here and MY350Z though of people who have HR swapped their DE car.

Honestly though unless you're planning on going FI I wouldn't even bother with the swap unless you're just doing it for fun. Fully built you're talking about maybe 20whp difference which is small considering you're going to have probably $7-$10k into the project (naturally aspirated) and probably 50-60 hours of work if you know what you're doing, have all the correct tools and parts.

Old 09-27-2020 | 02:52 PM
Bone stock
Ok thank you guys for the info.