Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Manual versus Automatic VOTE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
And probably not available!
Maybe not Porsche or the Vette but why is the R35 GT-R have an Auto??
It's all about everyone's liking if you an MT get one but don't judge others that have chosen a 5AT.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by vq35dedriver
Maybe not Porsche or the Vette but why is the R35 GT-R have an Auto??
It's all about everyone's liking if you an MT get one but don't judge others that have chosen a 5AT.
The GTR doesn't use the traditional slushbox. The GT-R's dual-clutch transmission can be called an "automated manual transmission".

Technically it is still a manual.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 29 with 3 kids and a wife. I love my 6mt and i use it as a DD car I also drive about 44 miles a day work to home but most of it takes me thru canyon passes which makes it worth it and smile after a hard day work.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Only reason I got auto was because I wanted AWD. My other car is a 6mt.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in seeing an even further breakdown...MT/AT Coupes, MT/AT Sedans.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Rostasteve
I'd be interested in seeing an even further breakdown...MT/AT Coupes, MT/AT Sedans.
Harder to compare, sedans weren't even offered with 6mt in 2003. Plus a lot of the sedan guys are AWD also no 6mt.

I can only think of about 10 guys off the top of my head that have a 6mt sedan.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 AM
I have an 04 AT Coupe. I'm also 18 years old.

My first car (98 Mustang GT) was an auto as well. Reason, I didn't really care if I had an auto or a manual, I just wanted to find the best deal on THAT car.
Second car (87 Turbo Supra) was a manual. I wanted to build this as a track car, so I wouldn't of bought an auto.
Third car is my G coupe. Same story as the Mustang, I didn't really care if it was an auto or manual, and I couldn't pass up the deal. It's not like I'll turn it into a track car, so having an auto is definitely nice. Sure, there are times when I want to have a 6MT to play around with, but you can't deny the luxury of being able to talk on the phone, eat, drink or whatever without the hassle of having to shift.

The way I see it. Track car/weekend type car = manual. If you use it as a DD or not just a weekend car = auto.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Going to and from work everyday; I deal with traffic so the shifting from 1st to 2nd back to 1st for more than half my trip and being excited about actually hitting 3rd gear...I can understand why a person would want an AUTO. That being said; there is something to be said about driving this car as a manual....getting it up and running quickly and just running through those gears (I've looked down at my speed and I'm literally pulling 80+ by the time I'm hitting the onramp to get on the hwy -- GREAT feeling). I've only had the car for a little over a year and I've just started playing around with the high engagement point and while it's not for most drivers; I have to admit...I like it. I mean, since we don't have a short shifter; it does allow for faster shifts since you don't have to press the clutch in all the way (barely half way on some shifts)

I personally see myself driving standard for as long as my legs will allow for me to; it's just something about being one with the automobile that an AUTO seems to take away. By the way...I'm 33 and I've been driving standard for 15yrs.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
MT hands down!!! so much more fun, plus my GF doesnt know how to drive MT so I can always use that excuse to make her drive her car when I dont want to!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MT. period. point blank. haha..

not to knock you AT guys but as far as the coupe goes, i would rather not have this car then have it automatic. sedans i can understand, you got different priorities.

plus i loved my sister's comment. "both your cars are stick now, so i cant borrow either one."

exactly.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I drive in NJ all the time with a manual (+ prolite ACT flywheel) and im in traffic on a regular basis and I would still never go back to an automatic / dual clutch / yuppy flappy paddle gearbox ...unless i lost my left leg...and a ******** or two...its just so much more fun.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark KniGht

not to knock you AT guys but as far as the coupe goes, i would rather not have this car then have it automatic. sedans i can understand, you got different priorities.

plus i loved my sister's comment. "both your cars are stick now, so i cant borrow either one."

exactly.
Sedans are still faster. lol

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
AT cause im lazy :-)

But MT is a blast to drive, just not on a daily basis

Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dark KniGht

exactly.
+10000000

I'd much rather have a manual of another car, then have an auto anything. It's the most basic facet of driving enjoyment. This is actually one of the first cars that i've owned that is even offered in an autobox. It scares me to think that there are more autos out there for G's than manuals, that seems just wrong.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Not to bash on you MT guys...but rather having a MT G35 then no G35 at all??? That sounds pretty stupid to me. If you base your (and other people's) masculinity on the type of transmissions they have...then maybe you have self-esteem issues. No gf???? Small Pee Pee/nut sack??? Does a manual make up for that? If so, then good for you. My previous car was a MT but I didn't really care for it. I have a 5AT G35 now and I love it. It just depends on personal preference and different needs/usage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual versus Automatic VOTE!