The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Dealership trying to screw me over on Oil Consumption.......Need advice from people..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealership trying to screw me over on Oil Consumption.......Need advice from people..

Hey Guys,

Here is the run down.
06 G35 Coupe 6MT
25k Miles (Mint condition)
Car is burning about 1.5 - 2.0 every 1000 miles.

Went to Infiniti of Monteclair for Oil Consumption Test. Had to do the test 3 times so they could make sure. The first test down 2 qts. The second test down little over a qt. The third test (which was done today) was down about 2qt.

So the "Service Consultant" calls me in and as we are walking back to the car he asks me for service receipts for oil changes. I tell him all the oil changes were done by me personally at home. He then begins to say well I need some information to send to Nissan and show to my manager. I tell him I didn't keep any copies of the receipts, but that **** he can tell I baby my car. Car is 3 years old with 25k on the odometer. He has this look of well I don't know whats gonna happen. I told him I would call the places I got the oil and filters from and see if I can get receipts. He said he would talk to his manager on Monday and give me a call.

So here is what I need to know.
1. Has anyone gotten a motor swapped, that didn't get oil changes done at dealer?
2. Did you have to provide receipts for all oil and filters that you bought.
3. Where do I stand on this situation. Am i screwed for doing my own oil changes?
4. What can I tell them like "The service/owners manual didn't say to keep receipts because the car would eventually have Oil Consumption problems."
5. What do i do, should I just take my car over to another dealership like Riverside and have them do the OC test.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glandale Infiniti try doing the same thing to me and told me my car was perfectly fine when it was burning oil like crazy and sounded like a lawn mower...I took it over to Riverside they didn't ask me anything about past oil changes or anything...went back twice for the test and failed both times and got a new motor...it was that easy...hit them up ull be glad u did...Riverside Infiniti FTW

Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
have the dealership run an oil consumption test themselves.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So here is what I need to know.
1. Has anyone gotten a motor swapped, that didn't get oil changes done at dealer?
Yes. There is nothing in the TSB requiring dealer oil changes.

2. Did you have to provide receipts for all oil and filters that you bought.
No. There are two paths in the tsb, one with oil change records, one without. Both lead to new engine if oc test fails.

3. Where do I stand on this situation. Am i screwed for doing my own oil changes?
You get a new engine. Car failed the test 3 times. It's not an option for the dealer not to replace it

4. What can I tell them like "The service/owners manual didn't say to keep receipts because the car would eventually have Oil Consumption problems." The TSB is on this site. Print it out, read it thouroghly and go back to dealer with it in hand. Ask them to show you the part in it where you must provide oil change receipts or be denied. They will have a hard time with that 'cause it ain't there.

5. What do i do, should I just take my car over to another dealership like Riverside and have them do the OC test. Car has already qualified. That would be a waste of your time. again go back with tsb in hand and get directly with the service manager. If they give you any further grief tell them you are going to call infiniti customer care and open a case.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude you're not screwed. You just need to learn to give and take a little bit man. They have protocol they have to follow.

I just got my coupe back yesterday from having a new engine put it.

I change my own oil but when I noticed only 3-3.5 quarts came out I took it to the dealer had them do the oil change so they could monitor it.

Your taking 60 dollars maximum man, and their footing the bill for a 10,000 dollar engine. Just let the change the oil, then drive it for another 1000 miles or so, take it back in and there wont be any problems.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
the oil change to start the OC test is covered under the TSB. You don't have to pay for it.

Some dealers will do or say anything to get out of doing any warranty work. Jeez.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
has anyone got the engine replaced at metro infiniti in so cal? i'm still doing the oil consumption test right now..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PTownG
the oil change to start the OC test is covered under the TSB. You don't have to pay for it.

Some dealers will do or say anything to get out of doing any warranty work. Jeez.
hymnn... i paid for mine oh well, and infiniti requested that i show up for the next 2 oil changes, since first they replaced small block due to cylinder 1 rod or ring going bad, than the long block do to oil consumption,

they asked me for receipts, gave them a few not too many, service adviser said they will probably want pictures of inside the engine to see if oil was changed regularly. If you changed the oil than you have nothing to worry about the engine will be clean inside.... besides they did it 3 times themselves that should be enough.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I see class lawsuit coming up. 03 have some cases of oil consumption and the 05+ have hundreds of cases. I bet most people don't even check their oil level.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
TSB is an 'official' Corp document for dealers to 'follow'. Read it, study it, know it, be educated when dealing with dealer.

All your questions are answered in the two main OC threads here and my350's main OC thread there.

Can't believe dealers still playing games since first original Infiniti TSB release in 'Jan 08'. First revision done Feb 08 and second revision (and still used today) since May 08. Nissan's 350z OC TSB first release being 'Nov 07'. Amazing.

G/L

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called the service manager yesterday. He mentioned he got the information from the Service Consultant and that he will put the paperwork in to Infiniti but that they were going to ask him for atleast 3 receipts for oil changes or purchases of oil and filters.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
did you not read the tsb?