The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Replacement

So I took my 2006 6mt coupe to the dealer on Tuesday of last week. It had sound similar to knocking and here is my original Thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-knocking.html

So a day Later (Wednesday) the service adviser calls me saying they couldn't diagnose where the sound is coming from and it is a serious issue with the engine and I will get to hold on to the loaner while they take care of it. He said they have already got it authorized and ordered a new engine. Now today (Tuesday) after 6 days he calls me saying that the new engine has arrived and was installed on the car ready to go. I'm on business travel at the moment so I can't pick up the car till Saturday but mean while I have two questions:

1. I asked him if the engine is new. He said the engine is brand new (not rebuilt). It's hard to believe that cuz aren't the VQ35DEs out of production now ?

2. How Can I actually verify that the engine was really replaced? Even if the issue is resolved doesn't it seems too good to authorize, order and install a new engine in 6 days. In other words is there a serial number, date or something that I can use to verify that?

Thanks a lot !

Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Nissan/Infiniti always builds a ton of extra parts for warrantee purposes, parts departments, etc. The VQ35HR was only discontinued a couple years ago. I would think they have plenty of VQ's left. Unfortunately the number on the engine doesnt mean much so unless you wrote it down before you turned your car over and compared them afterwards you probably couldnt tell much. Just look at the engine and see if there is any of the corrosion that comes over time. A new engine shouldnt have any, heres a brand new (though damaged) 37HR on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290377525257

Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nickjl
The VQ35HR was only discontinued a couple years ago. I would think they have plenty of VQ's left.

He's a 2006, so he has a VQ35DE, not an HR

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar issue except it was a clanking sound on startup. I had my new engine installed a couple of days ago. Check out my thread here for more information and to see the invoice.

My engine was new and the service consultant told me it was the 2007/last model year VQ35DE that he claimed had the oil consumption issue resolved. Either way I'm happy to have gotten a free $9,300.00 engine replacement and I'm in the middle of break in right now.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
There was a thread a while ago where some kid blew his engine, thought he was getting a new one and come to find out it was used from a Z or something like that but this was not from the dealer but a mom and pop so...

Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Nissan/Infiniti always builds a ton of extra parts for warrantee purposes, parts departments, etc. The VQ35HR was only discontinued a couple years ago. I would think they have plenty of VQ's left. Unfortunately the number on the engine doesnt mean much so unless you wrote it down before you turned your car over and compared them afterwards you probably couldnt tell much. Just look at the engine and see if there is any of the corrosion that comes over time. A new engine shouldnt have any, heres a brand new (though damaged) 37HR on ebay.

My car only had 13k miles on it. So considering that where on the engine can I look for signs of wear, rust, .... that a 13k miles engine will have but a new engine won't ?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
It depends on what the dealership actually replaced. If its a bare engine assembly like in the link, then that would be the whole engine with the covers and other componants attached directly to the block and head. You would be looking for slight corrosion from things like the salted roads during winter. If they only replaced the short block then there isnt much to look for except for looking at corrosion on the block itself. The dealership should have a work history, even if they charged you nothing, somebody had to pay for it. So they should know exactly what they installed, you can get them to also print up the invoice.

The stamp in the attached picture shows when the part was made and left the factory. If they replaced the whole engine this stamp should be newer than when the car was made. The engine in the picture left the factory in April 2008 based on the 4 dots for months, and dot over the 8 meaning 2008.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Replacement-bdw-94gb2k-kgrhqyokjqeq5ky-w1jbk6q4kn9pg-_12.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They never install used or rebuilt at the dealer. It will be new.

You won't have any problem indentifying it. It'll be clean enough to eat off.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PTownG
They never install used or rebuilt at the dealer. It will be new.

You won't have any problem indentifying it. It'll be clean enough to eat off.
Yep, my engine that was just replaced is squeaky clean. If you got yours from a dealership it will be new. If yours is bright and clean under the plenum cover you are set. I noticed for me they reused the same old plastic plenum cover but all of the rest of the engine is brand new.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends on what the dealership actually replaced. If its a bare engine assembly like in the link, then that would be the whole engine with the covers and other componants attached directly to the block and head. You would be looking for slight corrosion from things like the salted roads during winter. If they only replaced the short block then there isnt much to look for except for looking at corrosion on the block itself. The dealership should have a work history, even if they charged you nothing, somebody had to pay for it. So they should know exactly what they installed, you can get them to also print up the invoice.

The stamp in the attached picture shows when the part was made and left the factory. If they replaced the whole engine this stamp should be newer than when the car was made. The engine in the picture left the factory in April 2008 based on the 4 dots for months, and dot over the 8 meaning 2008.
Reviving an old post, but where exactly do you find this stamping on the block? I looked everywhere (from above) but couldn't find anything similar. Any suggestions where this stamp is located? thanks

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by T4RUSAF
Reviving an old post, but where exactly do you find this stamping on the block? I looked everywhere (from above) but couldn't find anything similar. Any suggestions where this stamp is located? thanks
T4USAF....air force? lol Post #7 above shows a pic of it's location, I believe it's on the left side front of the block.
Gary

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
T4USAF....air force? lol Post #7 above shows a pic of it's location, I believe it's on the left side front of the block.
Gary
Alright I'll take a look there... Really can't see anything from above, maybe better luck from below and some panels removed. Thinkin' about changing my SN, it carries over from other forums but its a little more obvious than I'd like it to be, haha.

btw, I see your from Valencia... I grew up in the "valley" and went to CoC for a year before joining. take it easy