The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Just went to Infiniti Dealership VOIDED MY WARRANTY TOTALLY BS (help?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went to Infiniti Dealership VOIDED MY WARRANTY TOTALLY BS (help?)

I just bought a g35 2005 MT. The car still had one year warranty left and plenty of milage left on it too.

The engine is making noise. Like a knocking. I took it to Nissan (closest Infiniti is 240 miles away). The Service Tech almost guaranteed it was the sprocket and timing chain. He told me the car should still be under warranty.

I called Infiniti in San Antonio and told him the deal. I asked him like 5 times if the car was under warranty. He said it was. I drove up Sunday. Got a Hotel Room. Went early Monday morning to the dealership. I took a day of school and work paid for a hotel room, paid for gas, etc.

I met with him and he took it to Infiniti mechanic in the back. He came back and said it was an engine slap, but that power train warranty wouldn't cover it because of modifications:

1. Ingen Air Intake
2. Misimoto Radiator
3. APS Manifold
4. After market grounding wires.

He said I needed to replace the engine block and it would cost $11,000 new and 5-6 thousand used.

His logic was that because it had modifications the guy drove it hard. Or that he didn't change the oil regularly.

The car is in near mint condition. He took care of this car. It has only 44 thousand miles after 5 years. He may have drove it hard, but I can almost guarantee he changed his oil regularly. And isn't g35/g37 coupe Infiniti's sports car. That doesn't make sense that it shouldn't be driven hard.

At first he told me that I was totally screwed and that I should return it. Then 10 minutes later after talking it over with his supervisor I assume, he came to me and was like I want to keep it here for a couple days and look at the engine. I was like that's more like it.

FINALLY after 20 so minutes later, he was like I just talked to warranty and can't help you unless you produce the oil change receipts then MAYBE warranty can do something about it.

So now I have to write the dealership I bought it from to ask the guy who sold it to him if he has records of the oil changes. I just got home after driving 9 hours in 1 1/2 days for pretty much nothing. And if he didn't keep oil changes, I'm screwed?

I was reading the warranty and it says if the part has been modified or installed by a non-nissan/infiniti dealership. It seems that unless the piston has been modified or the cylinder block, then it should still be under warranty.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH MORE DATA I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

I dunno, feel like I'm not going to get help from the dealership in Florida where I bought it and from the service department here.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
why not take it back to the dealership you bought it from?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Always, always, always remove any mods that the dealership can blame malfunction on before going in.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
It wasn't an infiniti dealership.

I am writing to them too, but I don't think they have a service department. I rather keep the car and just get the engine fixed.

We'll see.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I would have except, I didn't get the original parts in the sale. I told the guy that too. I'm like I could have easily taken off the modded parts and put the original ones.

"well, they already saw the car."

Plus I thought it was only the timing chain and their argument wouldn't be as strong trying to connect and air intake to the timing chain.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would do everything I could to get the dealer I bought it from to fix the whole situation. Including getting a lawyer involved if it came to it. Also if the oil wasn't changed often enough then there should be sludge built up inside the motor. They would know when they pulled it apart just by looking at it. Hell if it has sludge you can usually smell it by just opening the oil cap. Thats a bs excuse. What dealership in FL did you get it from?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Well the 05+ MT has a history of engine problems, (Pistons/rings, and bearing) issues.

Is your car consuming oil? The REVISED TSB for Oil Consumption does not require any oil service records.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
What's TSB?

Thank you to everyone for your help so far.

How would I know if it is consuming oil. It becomes low after a month?

I have barely driven the car for 2 weeks.

I am writing the original dealership tomorrow while trying to get the dealership to help me.

Do you have any references for the history of engine problems so I can show the service tech?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) that is common on the "rev-up" vq35 engines like what is in your car. It is just a known issue that is for techs to be aware of. When the motor consumes oil over a specified acceptable level and the car is under warranty, They replace the short block of the motor. If you car was in need of a new short block because of oil consumption, it would be a good time to change the timing set. Catch our drift?

Search oil consumption on this site and you will find tons of threads about it.

Also have you contacted infiniti consumer affairs? Sometimes when dealers give the run around for oil consumption issues, its best to get them involved.

Last edited by UCIMAplaya2; 10-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM
great help. thank you.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
They need to prove that the mods lead to the issues.

Take them to court or call head office.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM
yeah i agreee with him

Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They are in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a federal law that specifically states that they must prove the aftermarket parts caused this specific failure. An assumption of poor maintenance is not proof.

I'd call the San Antonio branch of the Better Business Bureau. Oftentimes the BBB can get businesses (dealerships or any others) to honor their obligations for fear of a bad rating or bad publicity. And getting the BBB involved is a lot less messy than getting a lawyer involved.

That being said, if the BBB can't get results, I'd call a lawyer specializing in consumer issues.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 AM
So what happens if someone does their own oil changes? How do you produce those type of documents?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by scrapiron7
So what happens if someone does their own oil changes? How do you produce those type of documents?
you dont and you shouldn't have to...

i remember reading something similar to this problem on this forum and someone argued that in the manual they say, "RECOMMENDED service intervals" etc... obviously there was no sludge so the maintinence end was being taken care of, but still..

also, if you drive your car too hard, it'll void the warranty? the only way i can find this true is if you hold the car at the rev limiter for a while or mis-shift to where it blows your motor (somehow)... otherwise, their (the dealership) argument doesn't hold water

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just went to Infiniti Dealership VOIDED MY WARRANTY TOTALLY BS (help?)